LPJ VS Studio ???

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Chip Benson, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Chip Benson

Chip Benson Junior Member

I recently bought a 2012 studio in faded brown that has an amazing wood grain pattern of a knot and rings on the maple top. Or at least I think its a studio faded. I just saw some of the new LPJ's and they come in the same color as my studio. My question is this to anyone who would be in the know on this, Other than the obvious features like No pick guard and the black pickup covers, What is the difference between my 2012 studio faded and a LPJ in the same color brown. Also is there any way to tell if mine is actually a studio and not just a LPJ that someone modified into looking like a studio? and What pickups came on the 2012 studio faded browns. I have been told that they went to the "Modern classics" on that year but the older ones have the burst bucker pros in them. I had a "Vintage Mahogany" studio that had BB pros in it but it also had a mahogany top so its kind of hard to compare the tone from those pickups. And anyone who could send me a link to a advertisement with the specifications of 2012 Studio Faded I would be really grateful. As soon as I figure out how to post pics on the site I will show you all the knot pattern in this les Paul, its really something.

2. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

LPJ has that sweet maple neck...

3. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

4. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Senior Member

Look at the pickup connection in the control cavity. The LPJs have the small white 5 conductor connector and I believe the Studio Fadeds had the larger black 2 conductor connector.

I think the LPJ took the place of the Faded/Worn in the lineup.

5. riffhard

riffhard રોલિંગ સ્ટોન્સ Premium Member

If it's a 2012 it is a Studio.
    The LPJ was invented 2013 as follower of the faded Studio.
    Look at the serial on back of the headstock. If it's 1xxx2xxxx it's a 2012.

6. Chip Benson

Its defiantly a 2012, Besides the serial #, it says right there on the back "Made in USA 2012". Ok that's a relief I wanted the studio. I appreciate the feedback from you guys and I have a whole lot of questions about Les Paul's. 1. I know better to even ask this because really I guess its a matter of opinion but, I'm still exploring with tone possibilities and I'm always looking for a way to improve my set up with minimal amount of investment. I have had three Les Paul's through out the years, a 91 studio Lite, a 06 Vintage Mahogany (I cant remember the year on that one exactly, It got stolen). And now this studio faded. The 91 studio lite had an accident and the headstock was broken off:facepalm: After letting a friend attempt to fix it and failing bad :mad2: I just salvaged the pickups and tuners. My question is those are 498r and 500t Ceramics that were in that ax, what would they be like in the faded instead of the BB pros ??? :hmm:

7. riffhard

riffhard રોલિંગ સ્ટોન્સ Premium Member

8. Chip Benson

Told you guys that I would post some pics when I got em so here they are, I know she is only a studio satin and a 2012 at that but she has the most beautiful maple top I have ever seen on one of these, the knobs and guard are after market stuff of course but I fell in love and made her mine. I even named her Debbie.........Is that creepy?:shock:

I only know how to do pics as attachments so if there is another way please someone school me on it.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  9. Preacher403

Preacher403 Senior Member

Great looking guitar! Love the satin finish with that color.

1 person likes this.
  10. smickers86

smickers86 Senior Member

The LPJ took over for the Faded. they cut down on the price AGAIN by changing a few details including the Burst Buckers and electronics. IMO the Electronics need to be swapped to get the full tone of this guitar to come alive.

11. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Nice, congrats!

12. Chip Benson

What does LPJ stand for ?? I know its not Les Paul Junior,.....or is it???

13. Preacher403

Preacher403 Senior Member

Stands for "LPJ" according to Gibson. No idea why they came up with THAT though.

14. GibsonMarshallGuy

GibsonMarshallGuy Senior Member

Les Paul Joke..

1 person likes this.
  15. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

doesnt stand for anything, just like the "x" doesnt on that infamous firebird.

16. paulgibson

paulgibson Senior Member

I'd buy a Mexican Standard Fender or even a Squier 50s Classic Vibe before I'd buy an LPJ. Oh wait, I did.Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

17. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Senior Member

Makes sense if you wanted a strat. Or was this meant as a dig? Any other oranges you want to compare to apples?

1 person likes this.
  18. nm4

nm4 Senior Member

I'm a fan of strats and LPs and pity anyone who doesn't get to enjoy both. The LPJ is about $200-300 more than a MIM strat. Unlike the MIM strat the LPJ is made in America, which has value to some folks. I'll steer clear of comparing the "quality" of these guitars as in many ways they are apples and oranges...and "quality" can mean many different things. Both are awesome and give you 80-90% of the feel and sound of their more expensive counterparts which cost 100-300% more. I call that value.

NM

2 people like this.
  19. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Jacked?
    Joke?
    Junque?

Maybe it's because Henry's last name starts with J, and the mid-level managers wanted it known that HE was to take the blame for it, not them <G>. :naughty:

:applause::applause::applause: