LPC silverburst 79

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Prometheus, Jan 28, 2018.

1. bgh

bgh Senior Member

It hasn't. Yeah, I assumed part of it was it was a lefty. Still, it's one of my favorite guitars.

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Lefty's add in a good 25%.....especially as you get to the more desirable models. I searched high and low for lefty 70's Customs when I bought mine about 5 years ago - and couldn't spot too many below $3K (shipping was an issue too which restricted the options).

bgh likes this.
  3. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

Weird, I mean yours in 79 and I'm guessing that you use it rather often yeah?

4. bgh

bgh Senior Member

It does get a lot of use.

5. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

There is a thread on "Norlin hate" in this section of the forum somewhere. :)

My personal opinion is that Norlin hate mainly comes from Gibson 80's/90's marketing - and that it is/was all about distancing the "new" Gibson (Juskiewicz incarnation) from the past Gibson by claiming that Norlin did everything wrong and return to classic designs was the future. IOW, using brand name nostalgia to sell a lifestyle product.
    As for the guitars themselves, all you can generally say about Norlins is that they are usually very heavy - and they are because guitar players at the time actually wanted them heavy. "For sustain!". All high end guitars in the 70's were excruciatingly heavy.

LPC's were at the top end of the price list, so they were even heavier - Gibson delivered :D

Then again, if you lift heavy power tools all day at work those 5 kg on a strap won't matter - but it gets very different when you get a disproportionately high paycheck and the hardest physical labour you do during your workday is to occasionally pick up a Mouse from the floor. That is when you see the myriad posts on the internet about Norlins being "to heavy"....

Tldr: Norlins are heavyer than most guitars, but sound just fine - they are individual instruments - all depending on pickup choice.

6. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

Weird, I wonder if Gibson got the nitro formula perfectly right, (or wrong depends on the POV) the very day your guitar was lacquered. Super weird!

Damn you, ofc I read everything you wrote! XD
    I wonder if there are any LPC from that era that are slightly lighter than a boat anchor...
    I read somewhere before that ppl installed brass parts everywhere to increase the weight back in the day. Insanity!

7. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

A good Lester should be right around the same as a good boat anchor.

boatanchor.jpg

DarrellV, bgh and Prometheus like this.
  8. BJLawson

BJLawson Junior Member

Hi Guys.

New to the forum, although I did post a query regarding the Les Paul T-Shirts on FB, would still love one if anyone fancies sending one to Scotland.

Anyway enough rabbiting, this is an interesting thread as I have an all original 79 Silverburst that I bought in 2005, I'm a really really horrible player but I always wanted an actual Gibson LP (I had a Jedson Black Beauty a long time ago that my ex brother in law borrowed then sold). So when my stepson started playing in a Tool type band I bought the SB for him - and me, the band didn't last too long so it's been mostly in its case since 2008 with just the occasional outing.

It’s not for sale as it's now considered a family air loom but I've always wondered what it may be worth now and in the future (I have the original pup covers).

_K323149.jpg

_K323150.jpg

_K323151.jpg

_K323152.jpg

_K323155.jpg

_K323156.jpg

_K323174.jpg

Progrocker111 and bgh like this.
  9. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

welcome and nice guitar!!

If you will check page 1 of this thread, you will see my post with the sales of this guitar on Reverb for the last 2 years.....I always throw out the high and low number to get rid of anomalies, and then average the remaining sale prices.

BJLawson likes this.
  10. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

Sure, i have had some with even a hair under 10 lbs even from late 70s. They were the heaviest in early to mid 80s from my experience.

Britbender likes this.
  11. Britbender

Britbender Senior Member

I have 2 norlin customs left, both are about 4 kg's the -76 is a little heavier than the -74

12. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

I know exactly what they are worth because I just sold mine.......

13. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

Oh you have? Please do tell?