LP Standard 2012 schematic

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by davros, Jun 8, 2012.

1. davros

davros Member

Seen a good few NGDs for the new 2012 standards - congrats all! I tried a couple of them last weekend, and really impressed with the 'fat tap' tones.

There's been some speculation about whether the 2nd coil windings are tapped or just grounded through a resistor to maintain some of the signal and reduce the noise. Has (or could) anybody whip out their PCB and work out what Gibson have done to get these juicy tones? I'd love to put it on one of my other LPs

2. HIghAndDry

HIghAndDry Senior Member

I would also be interested in that

3. davros

davros Member

Noone?

I'd be happy to try and map out the circuit and share it on here if some generous person with a 2012 standard could take a few decent photos of both sides of the PCB. Understand that would mean taking off the knobs and unscrewing the pots, but it would be amazing if someone could!

4. davros

davros Member

Actually, i've found this picture and it looks like it could be just a single-sided PCB so no need to take it out. Anyone who could take some more detailed pics from a few different angles, and read off the resistor / capacitor codes?

[​IMG]

5. leocuellar

leocuellar Senior Member

Hi, I posted that picture in another thread. Y took the picture from this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT_iHnOhX9M]New Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Review (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

From second 9:40 to 11:00 the guy shows the control cavity and he moves it a little bit so maybe you can look closely and get the views you need. I just did a print-screen watching the video in 1080 to get that picture.

Hope this info helps.

Leo.

6. Jon6

Jon6 Member

So, as a question, if you did want to change pickups, is there some sort of connector that you can detatch from the board, screw in the conductor wires from your new pickups, reconnect the connector and away you go (as in all solderless)?

Or will you have to replace out everything?

7. davros

davros Member

Nobody?

I think i can map out the circuit if someone could read off the capacitor and pot values! Pretty please!

Jon - I think it's going to be a case of complete re-wiring. You'll need 4-conductor pickups, 4 push-pull pots, etc, which is going to require complete re-wiring. Thinking i'll get the local tech to convert the burstbuckers on my 08 standard to 4 conductor - around £20 per pickup

8. major

major Senior Member

Rip the whole thing out and shove a "Jonesy" in there...

Gotta be a good thing!!:)

9. Spaceacex

Spaceacex Senior Member

I read that all someone would need to do is snip the connector off the existing pickup wires and solder them on to the new pickups and connect to the board.

If the new ones are 4 conductor pups, they should work with the existing push pull pot.

I don't think a whole rewire would be needed. Can anyone confirm or correct me? I may be wrong...

10. jeffy

jeffy Senior Member

A better option would be to buy a new connector and put that on the pickup. Then you can swap back and forth if you wanted to. From the research I did for another similar thread, I believe the connector is a "micro-fit 3.0" molex 4-POS connector which isn't too obscure. You'll need the matching terminal pins as well.