LP Special, T.O.M or wraparound?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Jakatone, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Jakatone

Jakatone Member

Hi guys, so long story short, i recently recorded with a original 57' single cut special and it was hands down the best sounding guitar i have ever played. Since then I've been trying to get something similar, be it Gibson or a handmade. The original had:
    - unpotted P90's ( obviously )
    - very lightweight aluminum wraparound.

The pickups are relatively easy to get with all the boutique stuff, the tailpiece is a major decision since it's hard to turn a TOM into a wraparound and vice versa.

What are your thoughts about the wraparound playing a big role in the sound of a Special?

2. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I would think that the all mahogany construction and the P90's are bigger contributors to the tone than anything else. I have owned a number of P90 equipped guitars with and without TOM/ABR bridges and they have all sounded great.

3. Jakatone

Jakatone Member

Also a big contributing factor, I agree. Did you hear any audible difference between the two bridges? The 57' had a very raw, airy, woody, 3D sound, i suspect it was the sum of all the parts, that's why I have second thoughts about which bridge to choose.

4. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

I have two juniors, one with wraparound, the other with a TOM. They both sound great, however there is a 'grit' edge to the wraparound, so I go to either guitar according to the sound I want to hear. I guess that means... You need two Specials ?? BTW I have a 97 DC Special with a TOM, and that covers nearly all of the bases. Happy hunting

endial and northernguitarguy like this.
  5. Roshy Boy

Roshy Boy Senior Member

My 60's DC Special is a wrap around and sounds fantastic. Thinking about it, with just a tail piece for the strings to go around, it's as close to a string through body as you can get. That may help add to the tone.

Although, what I found with mine is Pickup pole adjustment plays a huge factor in how it sounds. Tail piece height does too. I can't deck mine, but can come close. Then I raise and lowerpole pieces to taste.

Jakatone likes this.
  6. Jakatone

Jakatone Member

That grit is exactly what I'm looking for! I have enough guitars to cover all other bases.

7. Jakatone

Jakatone Member

The more research i do the more sense it makes that the P90/wraparound is the right combination for a special/jr.

yamariv likes this.
  8. syrinx

syrinx Member

I prefer the sound of the wrap around- I have both styles.

Jakatone likes this.
  9. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I would go with a wraparound bridge as well. I feel they have more of a snap to them and if you're trying to replicate the sound of the '57 as closely as possible, that seems like a good way to get that much closer.

d1m1 and Jakatone like this.
  10. Jakatone

Jakatone Member

That was my original thought also. Trying to get close to the one i played and putting a different bridge doesn't seem right.

bossaddict likes this.
  11. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

i would also go with wraptail. imo they sound better, have better response, have a snap, twang and honk you dont get with a tom.

Jakatone likes this.
  12. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

What did you buy ???