LP Special LOVE :)

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by sci, Nov 13, 2016.

1. sci

sci Senior Member

According to the Epiphone's website, the Les Paul Special II is the ¨Epiphone's number one selling model¨. And it is not without a reason - the price/quality ratio is great and the guitar is considered as a good start for the beginners. And that is not doing always a good favor for the guitar, and I am convinced that Special II deserves more recognition from the advanced players. This thread is to share the appreciation to the Specials :)
    [​IMG]

The materials and execution vary in this price segment and being on the marked for 20 or so years will reveal a lot of deviations between the Specials in the years. But I write this based on my 2015 guitar and its specifications.

The body and neck are solid mahagony (checked mine through the electronics cavity). The guitar has thin 60-ties neck and thinner body without carved top, but is relative weighty. Despite the construction differences to the standard Les Paul guitars, Special II feels and plays like a Les Paul as the name not without a reason suggests. The tone is deep, fat and warm, the sustain is quite long and the fretboard size is just right for me.

The factory setup of mine was very good – low action without any fret buzz, straight neck and very smooth fret ends.
    [​IMG]
    I raised a little the humbuckers, but because of the sound I wanted to achieve. Apropos humbuckers – they are really good, especially for metal. Compared to my Gibson Les Paul with BurstBuckers PRO, the 650/700 ceramic are not so refined, but they have their qualities, especially for hard sound. While the BBPros are very balanced among the sound spectrum and even if you hit 6 strings accord with distortion you will not get a cacophony, the 650/700 have more bite, less mids and generally sound more primal, harsh and wild in high gain. But sometimes that is what I want and I can get it from my Special II just an arm length away. To buy Special II and immediately to consider pickup upgrade without giving them a chance is not a good idea, IMHO
    [​IMG]

The hardware is according the the specification – nickel. It looks quite decent:
    [​IMG]
    I didn´t found anything which is really cheap in that guitar – there are complains about the tuners and the nut, but mines are keeping the tune for days of playing. I like the dual tone/volume controls on my Gibson more than the simple single controls on the Special, other sides this configuration makes the guitar very easy on the price of less flexibility of the sounds you can get. Acceptable.
    [​IMG]

All in all, I love my Special II. If something happens with mine, I would definitely consider buying another one. Listening at beginners on crappy amps creates the same impression for the Specials as listening at class of kids in the primary school playing recorders. Sound sample of mine (and as a little off - sound sample of recorder played by a kid, which can)
    Share your Special II´s :)

Attached Files:

marc1kim and jeff_farkas like this.
  2. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

bought it after starting to play guitar for a few months on a very old used ****ty jem copy and it was such a great guitar: rock solid, sounds great and plays really good... for the amount of money its incredible value and a great starting point for beginners and intermediate players.... even very good players

I love power metal, you did an awesome job with your demo! I love it!

3. sci

sci Senior Member

Dankeschön. I´m glad you like it ;)

4. auriemma

auriemma Senior Member

Just picked this one up recently... $50 USD, and its mint!
    As sson as I pick up new strings, she gets a full bath and massage!

[​IMG]

howardlo likes this.
  5. howardlo

howardlo Senior Member

Really like that white one!

6. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

mine has been under the knife getting a mid 60's bridge p90,
    and a tone man harness / jack / toggle, and tusq nut... about
    finished up.

this is one of the most fun guitars i've owned.

[​IMG]

7. sci

sci Senior Member

Thank you guys for "joining". I was expecting the Special II to be more loved guitar but still ok :)

8. ricksepilp

ricksepilp Senior Member

I have a black one and love it. I did upgrade the tuners and nut and I'm presently mostly using it in open G for slide playing. I'm considering swapping the humbuckers for P90's as my next change.

9. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

I play my Special I w\P90s almost as much as my Trib +, PTP, and the Gibson Studio. After Nut, tuners, and bridge upgrade she plays just fine and stock epi P90s work for now...sound nice thru the Rat and the Vox AC10....

Attached Files:

10. howardlo

howardlo Senior Member

Have three Special 1's. Two with P-90's, one black, one yellow. Red one with HB's. Really fun guitars, my most played guitars. Also have a black Jr. just received today.

11. Will de Beast

Will de Beast Member

I have two Special 1s with P90s, a Junior, a Special 2, and a Special 2 Plus top. I want more. I have spent a $600 fortune already. :naughty:

12. Ecoaster

Ecoaster Junior Member

Guitar Center US will have the Special i models on sale for $79 for Black Friday. The flyer has photos of the humbucker version only, but they usually include the P90s in their promos too.

13. marc1kim

marc1kim Senior Member

I've owned everything from Gibby Standards to Customs, but I'm really having a lot of fun with my Epi Special. So much that I wouldn't mind one or two more:D

14. sci

sci Senior Member

I'm glad to see other people who appreciate the Special even after playing much more expensive guitars. Seems that common "like" factor is - fun to play. I am wondering - how the Special II as we know it today was designed? Was it hard work in direction "how to make a LP at lowest price" or "here, fit in 100 bucks and make it look like a LP" and the good result was a coincidence?

15. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

I think it was a bit of both :thumb: but either way they're really just great instruments

16. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I paid $67.00 for a used Epiphone Junior. Great guitar after I did many changes to it. I put a P90 that fit in the humbucker spot. Real Gibson tuners, bone nut and CTS Pots. This guitar turned out great.

Attached Files:

17. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

I upgraded the tuners on mine with those donated by a 1966 G-400 Pro, put a tusq on it, a set of GFS pickups and did a fret job. It's shiny now.

Note that every single fret on mine was not pressed all the way in. They all had a fair bit of clearance under them, so I spent about 20 minutes tapping them down with a plastic hammer until they were seated, THEN I did the fret job. It's a pretty awesome guitar now with zero dead spots and a nice moderately low action. I COULD go lower but I don't like it that low. The only cash I put in it was the nut and the pickups, which more than doubled the price of $89 I paid for it.

Worth every penny.

18. sci

sci Senior Member

An interesting video was posted in the Gibson LP subforum - a sound comparison between Gibson LP R9 and Epi LP SPII:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpwLG8sdmw8
    Sure, it's not the same, but curious and funny nontheless.

19. sollophonic

sollophonic Senior Member

I picked up a bit of a wreck of one in a local charity shop.

A bitt battered, missing a tailpiece, a duff bridge pickup and a dodgy switch, it needed a bit of work, but it was dirt cheap. The tuners are also a bit worn too.

I added a Warman bridge pickup, a chrome cover onto the front one, replaced the switch and moved the controls round a bit. I also used a trapeze style tailpiece instead of the stop-tail

[​IMG]photo upload

Stoli likes this.
  20. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

That was my first guitar and the reason for my fourm name.
    Ive since put a set of duncans a 59 neck and a dimebucker bridge and added a tone and volume pot with 22 tone wiring, i put the pots in between the existing ones and the switch. Its very tight spacing but i switched to knurled tele knobs so access is easier, trying to get it all in the stock cavity was interesting. But she is a tonal beast now with many different tones.