LP custom attempt.... My furlough project...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by scottop1972, Jul 12, 2013.

1. scottop1972

scottop1972 Premium Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. scottop1972

next question..... i have little notches in the bridge... do i need to widen those slots to string size like i did to the nut?

thanks in advance, need some help here....

3. scottop1972

made the back plate covers out of a plastic file box i found at office depot/max i can't remember.... used my dremel to cut it out and then my belt sander in my bench vise to shape them up....

4. boompiday

boompiday Senior Member

Man those look great!

1 person likes this.
  5. tnt423

tnt423 Senior Member

I would at least smooth the slots out so they don't snag strings and cause breaks.

1 person likes this.
  6. marijnsloth

marijnsloth Senior Member

The finish looks really great! Especially the faded tobacco back and neck. Excellent job! Haven't you setup and played them before finishing?

And usually people who put the Gibson logo in black them out in the photos... not sure why if that's a legal thing or just because it's slightly frowned upon... I personally don't care, just an FYI :D

7. scottop1972

should i edit? mods interject and remove pics if so and i will edit, i don't want to be cross ways with anyone here.....

i did a quick set up but i did not intonate, it seemed pretty close though... and i cut the nut, but i figure after all of the messing with them for the finish that i would have to re set up the guitars, and i don't have a ton of experience doing that but i intend to learn fairly quickly...

thanks for all the help, i am sure i will have questions on the set ups...

8. scottop1972

Finished the guitars, took them down to the local guitar shop to have them look them over and help intonate and check setup.... They LOVED them!!! I got a 98% on playability and 92% on look. I GOT AN A GRADE!!!! very cool. I am thrilled.... I have a couple of videos of one of the guys playing them, he played the same thing through the same amp at same settings but recorded on my iPhone.... i will try to post them...

2 people like this.
  9. boompiday

boompiday Senior Member

Those look awesome...and, you will probably get some flak over the G logo but who cares.

10. scottop1972

^ it was kinda funny.... the owner checked them out and asked if the neck was wider than a LP, and to be honest, it is 3mm wider due to the way i built it... it is amazing to me that he could feel that....

I had to mess with the saddles to get the string spacing right, but i finally grew a pair and did it.... overall pleased with the results....

now everyone keeps asking me if i am gonna sell one, and i honestly don't know what i am gonna do with them both... but i won't think of that right now....

11. scottop1972

i just can't imagine for the life of me selling either of these..... they have been my obsession for the last 13 months....

12. scottop1972

how do i put a video from you tube here?

13. scottop1972

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LleZITZt0AA[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8ScS20Hg8[/ame]

2 people like this.
  14. scottop1972

^NOT ME..... but they sound pretty good....

15. scottop1972

but he is playing my guitars!!!!

16. Tone_Chaser

Tone_Chaser Senior Member

They sound great!

17. tnt423

tnt423 Senior Member

Looks like a very well deserved A. Nice job and great perserverence!! Two excellent LPs

1 person likes this.
  18. scottop1972

i wanted to take an opportunity to thank all the forum members here for the help, advice, encouragement, and support during the past 13 months. It was coming here that helped keep me moving towards completing these guitars. I am thrilled with them beyond my wildest dreams (and believe me I was so obsessed that i did dream of guitar building!).

I really have enjoyed my time here thus far and will continue to enjoy myself here as I pursue at least 2 more builds... .... maybe more..... i haven't told the wife yet.....

I will be upgrading my membership when i can because i definitely want to support this place since it is my forum home.... my oasis in the internet....

Thanks again to everyone!!!!

5 people like this.
  19. scottop1972

alright from a COST perspective... i decided to trash my receipts for this build.... this is a rough estimate based off of internet prices, the handful of receipts i kept, shipping, cost of tools and material, and yet to be purchased cases...

total = $2040 for both....
    or $1020 each.......

for a total cost savings for a LP CUSTOM from the big boys of about 3K or a used one..... cost savings of about 1K.

and for the experience of building a kick ass guitar, made by me.....

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

3 people like this.
  20. scottop1972

^time estimate i dont count that as cost because i had fun and would have otherwise just sat on my butt at 5AM surfing the net and drinking coffee....

3 weekends a month for about 12 months averaging 4 hours at the shop each time i went... = 6 days per month or 24 hours/ month x 12 months is approximately 288 lets round up to 300 hours....