LP custom attempt.... My furlough project...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by scottop1972, Jul 12, 2013.

1. scottop1972

scottop1972 Premium Member

Hello, my name is scott and i am a DOD employee.... thanks to our inept congress, I will be on furlough (unpaid day off) every friday for the next 11 weeks... and maybe longer depending on the budget.:(:sadwave:

I have come to this forum off and on for the past couple years watching in awe the builds and quality coming out of here. It has been an inspiration. i thought the itch to build would leave when i bought my LP trad pro.... but it came back, so i thought i needed something to do on my unpaid fridays...

PLAN.... LP Custom
    solid body no weight relief and no cap just one solid piece of mahogany... i think still need to measure the wood in the shop. Ebony board of course. thinner (not a 50's) neck.

PROBLEMS... never done this before

Start up.... bought the stew mac plans a couple of years ago. cousin says he has some mahogany in the shop... see pics....

pics so far.

ANY HELP OR TIPS WILL BE APPRECIATED. i am by no means qualified to do this but it seems the bigger i reach the more pleased with the results i have been.
    [​IMG][/URL]

3 people like this.
  2. scottop1972

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. scottop1972

cut some guides... thanks to ex nihilo for the template
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. scottop1972

[​IMG]

while working....

5. scottop1972

shopping from this AM

[​IMG]

6. scottop1972

tomorrow= sanding up the templates and drilling/ routing the holes in the templates...

I do not have a pin router, so i will most likely make the templates larger to receive the brass guide.... so my holes will be accurate... also if this ends up being one piece of wood, the order of operations will have to just right...

why does everyone make 5 or 6 templates? i figured i would only need 2....

one for the pup cavities and control cavities
    and one for the pup legs and control covers

i figure i will use the 4.4 degree top angle to get my 4.4 degree neck pocket angle and since the top will already be at an angle i would just use some stock to make a temporary routing jig. am i missing something or does this sound like a solid plan?

7. dinkyguitar

dinkyguitar Senior Member

8. scottop1972

thanks for the link to your thread!

why maple for the neck? most LP's have a mahogany neck one piece i thought...

9. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Don't sweat the small stuff as we all have to start somewhere. A lot of us did an LP "first" and somehow we got through it. The extra templates are just easier or quicker, even. I think I have 4, as don't forget you'll need 2 just for electronics cavity & covers.

As for the neck pocket, I found it easier to go the "1/2 template" route as after you've cut the neck angle, the 1/2 template tapes down to the body and you don't have to worry about the weight of the router bending it down.

10. Tone_Chaser

Tone_Chaser Senior Member

That's what I call making the best of a bad situation. My keyboard player is in the same boat. He works for the EPA.

11. dinkyguitar

dinkyguitar Senior Member

Scottop1972,

I have a chavel that I refretted with a maple neck. It's got just the right profile for me and it'got that raw feel. So I wanted to duplicate that.

There's also lots of early les paul's with maple necks....most of which you can't tell since they are painted and I'm not planning on painting mine.

If you need help or have questions you can always pm me.

dinky,

1 person likes this.
  12. MRJ5

MRJ5 Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  13. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Love the customs - the binding is stunning. Check out TKO's builds among others. He's amazing when it comes to good binding jobs. I'm a huge fan! :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  14. scottop1972

sweet! thanks for all the links. i will definitely be reading that link about the stew mac plans....

i went to the shop and i am determined to take pics of all of this as best i can, i always start with good intentions....

so did some sanding, and some drilling on the cutting guides....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. scottop1972

16. scottop1972

got to keep remembering to oversize the holes by 1/16 so when i use the router it will cut to the right width....

the hardest thing this morning was trying to find the tools...... i have access to this shop, it is not mine. My Uncle and cousin used to run a cabinet shop. My uncle still does a lot of contractor work and it is also a spill over garage for my cousin.... so tools are in and out all the time... it has a great selection of tools for me to use. i am very lucky.

17. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Hey Scott, I have plans for a Custom in PDF file, pm me and I'll email them to you.
    They are the very plans I used for the Custom I built.

Looks good so far, templates are a pain, remember to coat the edges with glue so if you use them for routing, the edges won't crush.
    Ken

1 person likes this.
  18. CherryBurstChaser

CherryBurstChaser Senior Member

Great thread. Killer project. Will follow. Keep the pics coming please sir:yesway:

19. scottop1972

alright didnt get much done this AM.... finished the pup and feet holes in my jigs....

cant find that hunk of mahogany.... will have to wait for my cousin to get back in town... cant work on this again until friday...

look at what i found lying around the shop.... i know there is more around.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. scottop1972

got to the shop for about 3 hours this morning. my 2nd furlough day.... cant work more this weekend.... i have reserve training....

today i did the routing jig. used 2x4's with a lip recessed into them and a particle board base. it is a little loose, so i will be stabilizing the sides....
    [​IMG]