LP bridge volume does not go to zero

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by cnote, Feb 6, 2018.

1. cnote

cnote Premium Member

I know usually this means the third lug is not grounded to the back of the pot, or that it's a cold joint, but it is grounded, so something else is going on.

I have swapped out 3 bridge volume pots, and it's the same problem with each pot. I have checked the whole harness with a multimeter, and get null resistance across all solder joints. I have checked that third lug many times, and with each pot, and it is solid and not a cold joint. That it has been the same with different pots makes me think there is something else going on elsewhere in the circuit.

When I roll down the bridge volume, it performs normally, getting quieter smoothly, but then the right about 0 the fullness disappears and a thin quiet clean tone is heard through the pickup at 0. It's a nice clear jangly clean tone, but it shouldn't be there.

The switch is grounded adequately to the back of the BV pot - 0 resistance across that solder joint.
    The ground wire is also adequately soldered all around - 0 resistance at all points.

Any help appreciated - what else could it be? Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. swampblues

swampblues Senior Member

Make very sure your bent soldered tabs on pots are making good ground

3. Fred

Fred Premium Member

Can we get a picture of your switch?

4. cnote

cnote Premium Member

Thanks all. Figured out I had the bridge and switch wires crossed. So I had it wired for independent controls, rather than 50s wiring, and with independent controls (pickup to middle lug) the pickup volume will never go to 0.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018