LP 58 Style Tobacco Plain Top Project

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Figo, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Figo

Figo Member

I just bought this gorgeous Les Paul Plain Top Tobacco Burst which I'll Customize in a couple of weeks.

I want to ask for your opinion of what Hrdware to use based on what I have in mind since maybe I'm not considering all the options.

I mostly play Classic Rock / Hard Rock (ZZ Top, Gun's 'N roses, AC/DC, Led Zepellin, Joe Bonamasa, etc.) and I have in ming either Slash, Pearly Gates or Classic 59 Pickups but I'm open to any possible combination to have a versatile LP that can be used even for other styles (Jazz, Blues).

This is the guitar I'm talking about:

For the Hardware part I have very clear that I want a '58/'59 style specially since the sunburst of the guitar is very Classic, and I would really like to use Historic Plastics but I'm Having issues since the Binding is Cream (Tan) and I'm not sure if the color missmatch would be very evident, what do you think?

Which Plastics would you recomend?

In terms of Bridge/Tailpiece I have very clear that I'll be using an ABR-1 Bridge + Aluminum Tailpiece

Wiring would be 50's Style from Emerson

Tuners would be Classic Cream Plastic Tulip from Kluson

An basically I think I'm done, unless that I'm forgeting something...

I'll be waiting for your inputs for 2 weeks and after that I'll take the decision of what to buy to have this beauty finished by the end of October

2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Nice!
    Really nice!

In my book, Seymour Duncan's '59s are very good for the styles you want to play.
    Especially with 50's wiring.
    They are no-nonsense affordable good sounding pickups.
    I don't like the "sizzle" of the Pearly Gates and don't see Slash pups being used for a wide range of styles.
    But that's me.

You can also have a look at MLP vendors if you want to sniff cork a little.
    No harm in that.
    :D

3. afireinside

afireinside Senior Member

Gibson 59 tribute pups out of a 14 or 15. My new favorite buy far

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  4. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Very cool! I love tobacco bursts.

I'll throw out another pickup option for you that might fit all your needs. The (relatively) new Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials. I just ordered a set myself, should be here this weekend. They are basically a hot PAF type thing that caters specfically to the 70s (& early 80s) arena rock sound. Sounds perfect for what you are describing (and sounded perfect for what I wanted too ;)). The SNSs are Duncan's first (and so far only) use of an A4 magnet (I've become a big fan of A4s).

As for hardware, Faber is your friend. Not only their ABR-1 bridge and aluminum tailpiece, but also I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend getting their steel bridge iNserts (to replace your brass Nashville inserts) and their Tone-Lock tailpiece studs. I've done this upgrade on all my LPs and without exception it has resulted increased sustain and better/clearer (to my ears) tone (the stock brass bridge inserts are a tone and sustain suck IMO). Really, I think these two things are the best upgrades a modern Nashville-equipped LP can receive. (BTW, the Faber bridge to me is a bit of a brighter sounding bridge than a Gibson ABR-1... that might be good and it might not, depending on the guitar. Another very affordable option for an ABR-1 is the one Philadelphia Luthier Tool & Supply sells... approximately $25 (IIRC) and a bit warmer toned IME. I have Fabers on 2 of my LPs and PLTs on the other two... just what sounded best on each guitar. PLT also offers a more affordable version of the aluminum tailpiece too... I have had both Faber and PLT tailpieces on the same guitar and couldn't hear any difference tone-wise... I will say that the Faber one "looks" a bit better (i.e., I think its shape is more historically correct), but it costs more than twice as much as the PLT--both are lightweight and do the job--I have one LP with the Faber and one with the PLT (I have heavy zinc ones the other two... those two just sound better with the heavier tailpieces--go figure)).

Historic Tall (M69) pickup rings really aren't much different color wise than your binding, so you should be fine with them. Correctly colored Historic pickguards tend to be lighter though (e.g., one you might get from CreamTone--which is historically correct, but may not be the best color match)... so I'd suggest looking at one of these too, just be to sure you're getting what you want: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D0LQI/?tag=mylespaul04-20
    This pickguard will match the Historic rings very well, and does not have a beveled edge like a lot of modern pickguards (I hate that bevel, it looks like an Epiphone pickguard).

CreamTone's poker chips I find to be on the lighter side as well (which, again, is probably more historically correct, but may not be what you want color-match-wise)... so you might want to just get a regular Gibson one like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D0MJY/?tag=mylespaul04-20
    This chip will match the Historic rings and pickguard listed above well.

As for wiring and tuners, looks like you've got that figured out. :)

Good luck and keep us posted... can't wait to see it finished.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Bobby Mahogany, Zoobiedood and rtTX like this.
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

A +1 to the Saturday Night Specials, especially with the music you are into. The A4 magnets seem to be great for classic/hard rock, yet they are dynamic enough to use just the volume knob to go between clean and overdrive. I really dig the sounds of these.

6. Figo

Figo Member

I think the SNS are 4 conductor wiring right?

I'm thinking that now I'll have to consider to do a Coil Split wiring to take out the best of this Pickups (In case that I go for them).

7. Bobby Mahogany

Many thanks for taking the time to post that valuable "first hand" information.
    :thumb:

1all's Pub likes this.
  8. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

496r/500t is my go to for gnr

I’m kinda on an island with love for that setup...but I find it to sound like this plugged in with no effects..
    They are so hot u can dial way back on the volume and use tone to get a very “les Paul” sound...

I still don’t know why they don’t get more love but I’m kinda a weirdo..
    So prolly don’t listen to me..

-Chris

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Thats odd......given the 500T is about as far from the A2pro as its possible to be.

Many seem to like the regular A2 pro above the slash set. And it will probably suit the other styles better too. Slash's amp always did the heavy lifting right back to the AFD days......a modded Marshall also favoured by George Lynch.
    Lower output pickups always sound better for the more low gain stuff, and you can always add boosts to regular amps which is what the AFD tone essentially is.

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Indeed, they are.

11. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Yes, they are only available right now in 4-conductor, but you can still just use them with regular pots and wire them like single lead if you want.

Mine arrived yesterday, won't get them in until Sunday though... and will be wiring them to coil split... will report back. :)

12. bum

bum Senior Member

I can;t help much apart from to say I got an Emerson wiring harness for my Tele and it is very good 2.jpg wiring.jpg

13. Figo

Figo Member

Coil Spliting Wiring? Phase Spliting Wiring? Jimmy Page Wiring?

Oh my god there are so many wirings that I'm loosing my mind!!!!!

1all's Pub likes this.
  14. Bobby Mahogany

4-conductor pickups are not what God intended for humbuckers.
    Just sayin'...

:D

endial and C_Becker like this.
  15. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Love the top on that :thumb:

16. Figo

Figo Member

Long time since I haven't updated this post....

X-Mas arrived earlier this Year!!!!!!! So I'm ready to start with the Build

The Hardware:

* Gibson USA Plastics (Pickguard, Chip, Jack Plate, Gold Top Hat Knobs)
    * Gibson Historic Plastics (Pickup Rings)
    * Gibson Custom Toggle Switch Back Plate
    * Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Special Pickups (4 Conductor Wires)
    * Grover 135N Tunners
    * Emerson Custom Wiring Kit (Pull - Push 50's Wiring Kit w/Bumblebee Paper in Oil Capacitors 0.022uf Bridge - 0.015uf Neck)
    * Faber USA ABR-1 Gloss Nickel Tone Lock Master Kit (w/BSWKIT conversion Studs)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  17. Figo

Figo Member

18. Bobby Mahogany

Nice!

I can't believe Gibson is selling the Custom Shop toggle cover though.
    :dunno:

Donal likes this.
  19. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

That’s just what I was thinking!

Along with, “goddamn, if Gibson didn’t just knock it out of the park with the grain/finishes on those ol’ Classics”

20. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

question about your emerson harness. I have the same one but my pot shafts are a bit loose. if I tap on them they rattle. are yours the same way?