Lower wattage "plexi inspired" amps - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by stephen78, Oct 16, 2014.

1. stephen78

stephen78 Senior Member

Lately I have been looking into getting a "plexi inspired" lower wattage amp (20 - 30 watt range). I've been looking at three specific ones (although I know there's a million out there...feel free to suggest more): Phaez Sibly, Dr. Z Remedy, and the Germino Masonette. Has anyone had experience with more than one of these and can give me their opinions? If you only have experience with one that is fine as well...I'm just hoping to get some comparisons.

The nice thing about the Phaez is the price...the other two are pretty expensive (unless I buy used...but still may be expensive). The clips I've heard of the Germino and Dr. Z sound fantastic. I've heard some good Sibly clips as well...wish I could find some with the gain turned down a bit (these seem to be gain monsters from what I've heard so far). I'm just looking for straight up plexi style classic rock tones. A master volume is preferred. I know the Sibly and Dr. Z has these (well the newer Dr. Z Remedy). I see on the Germino site that a master volume can now be added for a bit more.

The only thing that scares me about the Phaez is the re-sale value (I know from experience when I sold my JTM 18...great amp by the way). But that's not a deal breaker...just throwing it out there. Anyways...let me know what you think.

Thanks for any help! :)

2. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Banned

Take a listen on the Mojave site to their Plexi clone. I believe they have a 100 and a 50 or less watts. I don't know if they have power scaling but, they have sound samples. Check out the Scorpion while you're there also. You might also want to look into Granger Amplification. They have some really cool amps.

3. d2_racing

d2_racing Premium Member

Check the these :

Cornell Plexi 7
    Fargen mini-plexi
    Fargen micro-plexi
    Tone King Royalist 15w
    Marshall 1974x

4. dsolse

dsolse Senior Member

2061x is a great choice - cleaner than the 1974x but will still grind, loves pedals and plenty of volume for bars and clubs.

Known in some circles as the "baby plexi"

1 person likes this.
  5. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

I would look at a Friedman Pink Taco - I've played one and they are really nice amps.

The Germino amps are as close to Marshall plexi amps as you're going to get in that price range. You can get used ones for less than $2k. If I didn't have my plexi clone I would buy the Germino Masonette (which essentially is the exact amp and wattage that my amp guy built for me). All Dr Z amps are also spectacular, but Greg really does have that Marshall thing nailed. I believe the Masonette is a '68 plexi at 15-18 watts clean and 30+ watts at top vol. Call Greg he'll tell you more about it and he isn't going to try to sell you one of his amps. He really just gives out great info and recommendations. But the Masonette is, IMO, the best sub 50 watt plexi clone you can buy for around $2k. The Dr Z amp is not a clone but his take on a plexi in the Dr Z style. Again great amps just different then Germino amps which are basically clones.

Last thought, plexi means a lot of different things to different people. A JTM 45 plexi is going to darker and have more bass than a JMP 50 plexi, which is a brighter amp. Then there are the bass plexi amps. I am not an expert but there are some significant differences.

Here's a video what looks to be an R8, R9 or R0 reissue with Shaw pickups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8zh0NMZwis#t=129

6. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

7. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Don't waste your money. But a late 70s JMP50 master volume

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

8. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

You want back end saturation not front end and it's 2x more watts than you're asking about....good amp though.

If you're in the market for a bigger amp the Marshall bargain is the early 70s hand wired metal face JMP 50. I am sure you can find a JMP 50 circuit board that sounds great for even less money. But again it's a much bigger amp that you're looking for.

9. Six Gun

Six Gun Senior Member

The Friedman SmallBox is a 50 watt amp that allows you to play the amp at low volumes without an attenuator and have an adjustable Gain for both channels.

This is a really cool amp.

10. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

there is a phaez combo for sale in the classifieds. 25 watter. I used to own the same one. it can do both plexi tones and beautiful fender cleans in one amp. It's a unique amp and the dude only wants $500.

11. Emddie

Emddie Senior Member

Friedman pink taco.

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The Phaez JTM (its been renamed something else now) is also a vintage plexi tone with the switch on the back flipped. I got a 25W version which has 6v6's. Seems to capture the vibe really well.

13. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

This :thumb: its called the Jackal now :)

14. Laars

Laars Senior Member

I'd check out the Voodoo 25 watt V-Plex. Sounds just like its big brothers. Trace uses 2 6V6 tubes in it to give it the same tone and feel as the 50 and 100 watt ones that have EL34s. The Friedman Pink taco is another good choice.

Voodoo Amps V-Plex Single Lead Series

15. wrc73

wrc73 Senior Member

I have a Phaez JTM 18, it is a classic rock machine. If you want a little less gain and maybe a little smoother breakup than the EL 84 version, a 6V6 version would be a good call as well.

16. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

I still get gas when I watch Metro and Friedman stuff but then I play my crankedish SIBLY through my Unleash and I am in heaven and mad at myself for looking at another.

The resale is a smaller market but paying $500ish-$600 and if I change my mind netting $400ish is a lot better than most people will experience.

I got a 1974x at what I thought was a steal with a serial after the bad tranny issues and I still took a $200 hit when all was said and done with shipping and fees.

The amount you lose when selling these thing (pedals, amps, guitar) is the cost of renting it for that time and the life lesson.

17. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

I've got a blackheart bh15 modded to marshall 18 W.. combo, one 12".http://i.imgur.com/QA5LHTZ.jpg
    loves pedals has plenty more overdrive of it's own than the stock amp.
    changed pentode triode switch to cathode bypass.. much better tone,still lower volume.