LOW PRICED CME 58-59-63 ES 335 VOS Floor models. New shipment coming

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by tonemonster58, Nov 3, 2017.

1. budg

budg Senior Member

I agree . I have a 2012 Dot 335 and it is a fine example of any guitar that has touched my hands. Not a flaw on it anywhere and just so lively and plays like butter. Really trying to fight off GAS, but what I have is all i will ever need. Anything more will just be icing on the cake, but I need to resist if thats even possible.

tonemonster58 and mdubya like this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I DID buy an ES LP when this sale started. Got an insane deal and I am very happy with it. I was actively looking for an LP style guitar at the time, a goldtop in particular. Dark back was a plus. I checked all the boxes.

It was only afterwards that I became aware of the historic ES's on sale. Been fretting (sic) ever since. :Ohno:

3. Jerry_M

Jerry_M Junior Member

Hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm on the fence between the 335 Figured Lightburst or the classic Plaintop Cherry.
    The Figured that I have seen looks spectacular! but the cherry one is a classic along with the goldtop and the cherryburst.

What would you do guys?

4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I have seen the lightburst in person and it is beautiful.

But how can someone else choose what color YOU like?

Sunburst was never in question for me. I am not a real big fan of flames on ES guitars, so they have to be very subtle, if at all. My 330 and 335 both have very subtle flame.

budg and Jerry_M like this.
  5. budg

budg Senior Member

Go with the one you like the best. I have a figured cherry (subtle flames on mine as well) and I really dig cherry. I gave it the 1960 treatment with tophat reflectors and an amber switch tip. The tophats are just easier to see. Everyone is so different . I wouldnt choose just because its "classic" or iconic", but choose the one that you like the best. My personal favorite is natural, but those light bursts are cool. Not everyone will have those .

Jerry_M likes this.
  6. tonemonster58

tonemonster58 Senior Member

Yep, my scale is not that accurate but it is under 7 1/2. Couldn't believe it when I picked it up. Feels almost brittle, like it has been sitting in the desert for 50 years. You should hear the sound it makes when you rub the edges of the f holes. It is LOUD!

mdubya and Jerry_M like this.
  7. tonemonster58

mdubya, modavis99 and rclausen like this.
  8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

That went quick!

9. modavis99

modavis99 Premium Member

I'm tortured by this sale

mdubya likes this.
  10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Bring on the next shipment! :laugh2:

There's still lots of Gibson Floor models for sale. Regular 335's, ES LP's, etc.

11. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Senior Member

Funny I just bought a ES335 figured in natural from CME a few weeks ago.The guitar that came was New.
    I just got another credit card from Citi bank with $20,000 credit limit and 21 months of 0% interest...Thinking of buying another ES335 or something else and pay it off in time at zero per cent..But then again I am trying not to buy another one just to get dust on the case.......JT

FennRx likes this.
  12. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

(Not so) humble brag?

:laugh2:

13. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

I saw that they had a used '58 for $1995 (sold). I don't think they're getting anymore of the reissue 335's based on my conversation with Joel. Granted that was a few weeks ago. This really was one of the great deals that happen every few years. I'm glad I snagged one

mdubya likes this.
  14. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Senior Member

I really want to buy another guitar from CME but even with 0% I am confused lol........JT

mdubya and FennRx like this.
  15. tonemonster58

Did someone here get that last 58 Historic??? Hope it went to MLP family...

16. budg

budg Senior Member

Well I couldnt resist. Ive always wanted a natural one , but could never afford it . So now the cherry one has a brother. Amazing deals and kudos to Alex at CME for helping me out.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    tonemonster58, Brewdude and mdubya like this.
  17. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

Today's bring your child to work day and, well, I don't have children so...

[​IMG]

18. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

Figured I'd join in on the fun! I didn't really need a 335 but when has that stopped anyone before?:dunno:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like flametop LP's as much as anyone, and I don't usually associate 335's with flames, however CME seemed to sell out of the plain top ones and I saw a figured top for sale in the classifieds here and it started to grow on me. I actually really like it now, not something you see every day!

I have already done some surgery on it, ReWind Low Winds and a new MSSC harness (only trying to rewire this thing once), as well as some cosmetic surgery including an amber pickup selector switch tip, some reflector knobs, and I replaced the truss rod cover as I didn't love the f-hole engraved one. I snapped a pic of the neck pocket, they could have done a little better clean up after routing but I'm actually impressed by the tenon, seems like a nice fit. It sounds like Memphis gets some grief for so-so work occasionally but this guitar was set up well right out of the box, the frets could maybe use a polish but I'm being a bit picky.

I've only had this guitar less than 12 hours and I already love it after these few mods, great '59ish neck which is a nice changes from my usual slim taper necks. I was surprised how relatively heavy this thing is but I guess it is a pretty large guitar. Anyway, enough rambling, this thing rules so thanks MLP for cluing me into this sale!:eek:

19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Nice! :applause:

Brewdude and modavis99 like this.
  20. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

That looks sweet! Is it a 2017?