Low bridge?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Jefferson389, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jefferson389

Jefferson389 Junior Member

I just bought a new 2017 LP traditional and I noticed that the bridge is lower than what I've seen on other LPs, particularly on the low E side. This is after I've adjust the neck to proper relief and action at 5/64" and 4/64" on high and low e strings respectively. I also noticed that there isn't that much difference in bridge height between the bass side bridge post and treble side bridge post (I recall there being a bigger difference on other LPs I've played) . I measured them and from the body to the bottom of the thumbwheel is 9-10/64" on the bass side and like 6/64" on the treble side. I included a pic of the bass side below.

Functionally everything seems ok because both sides of the bridge have room to go lower than they should go, so adjustability isnt an issue. The guitar plays great as well with no signficant buzzing. I just wanted to make sure that the low bridge height and minimal difference between high and low e sides of the bridge doesn't indicate some sort of a problem.
    [​IMG]

rdbear7d, Christosterone and mudface like this.
  2. mudface

mudface Senior Member

No sir, your guitar is just fine. You are lucky to have a neck set that came out PERFECT. :cheers:

More pics please.....

3. TradPro2

TradPro2 Senior Member

the bridge height looks ok but I would take your little ruler and now check the height of the pickups as it appears
    they now may be too close to the strings, you maybe need to lower them a tad
    they may be close to perfect and i cannot tell from the pic but I would check the pickup height

4. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Yup...they definitely look too high in that pic.

5. ajay

ajay Senior Member

Joe Walsh says that the perfect tailpiece is the one sitting on the top. I don't think that it can be too low as long as the intonation is right on. I know that Joe isn't the best in the world, but I believe hat he knows a lot about setups.

brianbzed likes this.
  6. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

As @mudface said, you got the absolute perfect Lester..

Wow

-Chris

mudface likes this.
  7. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Yeah, Gibson is moving away (thankfully) from the high neck set that usually requires a top wrap. Yours is good to go.

8. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I would like that on mine...

Charlize likes this.
  9. rdbear7d

rdbear7d Senior Member

That looks great man..

here's a pic before bsw kit from Faber..
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  10. PierM

PierM Premium Member

If you have all setup as you want, and this is the result, you are lucky because could be you have a neck joint in the 4.4/4.5° angle, instead the crazy 5° that they use for USA models. :)

11. motorboy1

motorboy1 Member

I have a 2017 Traditional and bridge is the same. My action is 1/16 low E and just under for high E. I still have a little to go maybe 1/32 on the bridge if necessary. Perfect in my opinion. Stop piece is flush with body and strings are not hitting the bridge..

12. Jefferson389

Jefferson389 Junior Member

Thanks for everyone's responses.

I ran into another thing with this guitar- I was looking at the neck relief when adjusting the truss rod and I noticed that the relief at the high e sides might be slightly different. However, it's very close and it was tough to tell if there really was a difference. I'm just a bit paranoid because I had another guitar with a twisted neck before. So I had two techs look at it, and the first one said he didn't see any indication of a neck twist based on checking the relief. But the second guy sighted down the neck and said he saw a very slight twist, but that this was pretty normal and something you'd find on most guitars. What do you guys think?

13. gball

gball Senior Member

Probably just fine. The proof is in the playing and if it sets up and intonates correctly and plays and sounds right then you are good to go. As for the bridge height, as others have said that one looks about perfect. Both my '16 Trad and '79 Custom look just like that. FWIW so does my '17 SG Std.

14. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

To many the optimum setting is to have the bridge sitting on the body of the guitar or as low as possible. Added sustain and clarity many state. In the case of your guitar, you are great. The lower the better seems to be the preferred.

15. bryvincent

bryvincent Senior Member

that bridge is actually still relatively high compared to most historics with real vintage style abr posts. but it is lower than most USA Gibsons.
    the nashville-style post/thumbwheel makes it look low. if you convert it to vintage-style posts it would look high or about average height.

16. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Different neck angles.

mudface likes this.
  17. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I have Nashville and ABR bridges that sit super low or at the body. Depends on the guitar.

18. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

Check out Joe's Carvin demo dvd.He talks in detail about his favorite old Gibsons with a low bridge and tailpiece.

19. mudface

mudface Senior Member

IMG_0403.JPG
    The Nashville on my Custom. The reflection throws it off but it's about as low as it goes:D

20. bigtimelp

bigtimelp Junior Member

You scored man! That's a nice low angle, exactly what you want.