LOVE to GIG my Junior but the band hates my P90 Hum! What to do??!!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by yamariv, Aug 29, 2017.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Yup!
    Unless it is tied to the jack ground lug, it doesn't count.

Can be through the pots if they are grounded, but has to all be connected.

Do they make metal covers for P-90s (I've seen the dog-ear ones). If they do you could put them over the top and solder a ground wire from the covers to you pots to ground the shields.

You mention the dirty power, but make sure you have a full 3 wire outlet with ground or your going nowhere fast.

If things are as bad as you say there is always one of these.

[​IMG]
    A nice isolation transformer to put between you and the power company.

Spikes, glitches and hums get eaten up in the coils of the transformer, essentially isolating you on a separate AC circuit from the mains power.

Most have some sort of EMI filtering as well.

yamariv and GitFiddle like this.
  2. ryanmichael95

ryanmichael95 Senior Member

This!

3. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

All great points Notscott, thanks for taking the time! :dude:

So I've researched the Kinman pickups and think that may be a last ditch option. Although they are pricey, if it works and that's what I have to do to be able to play my Junior then so be it.

First I think I'm going to open up the cavity and run a ground wire from the copper shielding in the Pup cavity to the control cavity and ground those two to the bridge ground wire and see if that helps. Hope it does cause I originally spent a lot of time taping the cavities but I guess if I missed the grounding part of the taping then that might make a difference (I hope). If I can avoid replacing the P90 I would like to keep it as it's a hand wound beast from Vineham Pickups and it sounds mean and glorious at the same time! :dude:

For the few who were wondering if I have a guitar ground wiring problem causing excess hum, I don't. It's your standard 60 cycle hum you get from a P90 with high distortion, I've watched lots of videos with P90 hum and it sounds the same. It's not unbearable and doesn't bother me too much, I think my one band mate is just being sensitive to it..

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

GitFiddle likes this.
  4. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

I like the ideas of switching to the middle position if you have 2 pups. Heck you can keep one pickup at 0 and have it silent when you switch to it.

yamariv likes this.
  5. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Doesn't solve my problem....:hmm: But yes would work well

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  6. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Too many possibilities to say for sure, but... Hum does bug listeners, for good reason, so telling them to accept it makes little musical sense, IMO. I don't like noise gates, but the ISP Decimator can be set to nicely cut out this kind of noise while having little effect on the actual musical signal. For reasonable amounts of hum, it works perfectly. For hum so loud that it come close to softly played notes in strength, nothing really works. Though P90s are noisy, they should not be insanely noisy. If there are flourescent lights, bd power, other appliances nearby, etc., you may be getting more than your share of hum and noise. Good luck -- sorry for the hassle.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  7. Heppe

Heppe Senior Member

Shielding should help very much. Did it to my P90 SG and it is a big improvement.

8. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

I haven't had a chance to get around to grounding the shielding properly with a ground wire soldered to it. Hope that helps, if not I'm at a loss cause I'll have to go with a noiseless and then I'll loose the P90 Bite..

Heppe likes this.
  9. Heppe

Heppe Senior Member

Ok that is a very important part for the shielding to work.

10. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Reach over and tighten up your drummer's snares (there's a knob on the snare drum for that). Tell him they are rattling around and buzzing too much. He'll be on your side in a heartbeat, after that.

11. crosstownblues

crosstownblues Wraptail Fan Premium Member

Kinman makes great sounding noiseless P90 pickups. Only issue is the pickup routes need to be deepened slightly. I'd use them but don't want to mess with the Historic, however would do it in a heartbeat to a USA model.

yamariv likes this.
  12. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Have you heard the Kinman back to back with a regular P90? I'm trying to get as many opinions as I can about them and if I'll still get that raunchy P90 sound I love with the Kinman. I don't know if it's worth the change if I'm going to loose that grit

13. ricksepilp

ricksepilp Senior Member

The hum is part of the allure....

northernguitarguy, cooljuk and mdubya like this.
  14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

The tone magick is in the hum. You bandmate would have hated Jimi Hendrix. And that speaks more on your bandmate than on you or Jimi. :yesway:

northernguitarguy and cooljuk like this.
  15. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Tell your band mate to wear big girl panties next time. Rock and Roll has hum.

16. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

There's people who fall into the music and the hum disappears, and there's people who focus on the hum and can't appreciate the music. Surround yourself with the right people.

northernguitarguy and GitFiddle like this.
  17. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

The p90 hum is yet another reason I love my GM 40 with the built in noise gate. You can dial it in just perfect for even slight noises in the signal chain.

18. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

Its simple, turn your gain down or use a noise gate.

19. crosstownblues

crosstownblues Wraptail Fan Premium Member

I haven't heard them back to back, but playing the Kinman felt right. I wasn't missing anything, if you know what I mean. Too many noiseless pickups have that sterile feel to them, and they only get you 95% of the way there as far as sound/response.

20. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

Its simple, turn your gain down or use a noise gate.