LOVE to GIG my Junior but the band hates my P90 Hum! What to do??!!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by yamariv, Aug 29, 2017.

1. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

I love bringing my LP Junior to practice, it's such a simple rock machine but my 60 Cycle hum is annoying my band. Last night at practice they gave me the polite "Where is your other Les Paul" question....haha

I'd really like to Gig and practice with my Junior cause it sounds amazing with its P90. It's so much fun to play with little worry if it gets damaged.

I remember reading recently that a company just came out with a legit noiseless real P90(not a variant of a humbucker or stacked coils) but can't remember who it was. Wondering if anyone knows of who I am talking about and if they've heard of any reviews of it.

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Really? Once the playing begins, nobody should have a complaint.

Splattle101, cooljuk, CCK and 2 others like this.
  3. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Get a new band.

(only slightly kidding... LOL) . What kinda music do you play? What amp/pedals are you playing through?

In my drummers house, where we practice, the power is so dirty, I have to be very careful about what amp to use. Most of my tweeds make massive amounts of noise. So, I sacrifice tone for sanity. Frighteningly, most bars I play have better power than my Drummer's house. With the Fender Mustang I use at practice, even my new P-90 LP Special is quiet enough to get through practice without annoying anybody. But, i could never gig that amp.

I do tend to play relatively clean, with a bit of breakup, West Coast Blues and the like. So, single coil hum is not usually something I am plagued with. But, when I step on the fuzz or push into some higher gain songs, it can show up... I'm just careful about positioning at that point and all is well.

4. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

Drop some coin on stewmac conductive paint and cover in the inside of the guitar with it. Underside of pickguards, inside of pup covers, everywhere. I had an R4 that I gave the treatment to and it gave off only a wee bit of hum when I raised it up to touch my fluorescent light fixture. Good first step. I do it on all of my guitars now.

5. northernguitarguy

Got a tuner pedal? Engage it between songs, and they'll never know the difference.

6. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

I'm playing my VOX AC30C2 with a Boss DS1 Distortion pedal straight into the front of the amp, nothing else in the chain. We play classic rock with some full out distortion in about half the songs. I've been using my volume to mute as soon as the song is done not to annoy anyone but I'm still getting the looks as the songs starts and the P90 hums away....

Where we practice, the power supply seems pretty good as the P90 doesn't hum any worse than at home or other houses.

I've actually rewired the whole guitar already for kicks and at that same time I foiled the entire inside and cover plate hoping it would help but I didn't notice a difference in the hum after doing that unfortunately. The only thing I can think of is I didn't do a ground wire from the harness right to the foil.... wonder if that would make any difference....:hmm:

7. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

I do have a tuner pedal on my board, I could start bringing that I guess. Would you mute it right up to the beginning of the first chord of a song then? I'm getting pretty quick with the end of the song volume knob shut off but wonder how smooth I could start a song with the tuner pedal....

8. Assault Bacon

Assault Bacon Senior Member

I know this has been, well, danced around...

I'm not sure I would tolerate the "looks." The P90 hum is part of its charm, in my opinion.

It's rock n' roll, baby. Just make the noise.

9. northernguitarguy

Nah, just at the start of the song. If the hum is too annoying at that point, then I'd say you have one of two problems. Either you have a problem somewhere in the guitar or signal chain; or you have whiners for bandmates. One other problem to look for is fluorescent lighting sux around P90's.

lemmy loud, NotScott and bulletproof like this.
  10. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

I have gigged a P90 equipped R5 all over the place and never have had any real noise issues. Granted, I don't play death metal but, I will crank up the gain on my amps to Gary Moore gain levels and not have any issues. You may already know these but, here are some tips for dealing with single coil noise that are free:

1) Don't use more gain than you need. Yeah, I know we all like the way a gained up amp plays but, if you listen closely to a lot of recordings of your favorite artists, you will notice they don't use as much gain and processing as you think. You will have to compensate with your technique. However, you will end up a better player and you will have less noise.

2) How is your power? Is your amplifier grounded? If your amplifier has a poor or no ground connection, it will contribute to the noise. Check your IEC cord and make sure the center ground contact has continuity from end to end. I know clubs are notorious for crappy power and sometimes you will find ungrounded and even miswired power receptacles. Try plugging into another receptacle.

3) Use your guitar volume and tone controls. Players that grew up with single coils are used to rolling down their volume when not playing. It becomes second nature and keeps things quiet when needed. Another trick is to roll your guitar tone back a bit and then add some of the lost treble back at the amp. This will filter some of the noise out before it gets to your amp and also give you a fatter tone.

4) Know your quiet spots. Hum is dependent upon positioning of your guitar. During sound check, find the quiet and noisy positions and use them to your advantage.

5) Check your cables and other devices. Start with the guitar straight into the amp and try all of your cables and devices one at a time. You may have a faulty cable or device contributing to your noise issue.

If you have tried all of the above and the P90s still aren't working for you, Kinman makes a hum-cancelling P90 that actually sounds like a P90. His sets aren't cheap though. Another option is to go for an Ilitch or Suhr noise cancelling system that you can add to your existing guitar. These aren't cheap either but, if you like the tone of your current pickups, they are an option.

And finally, if all else fails, you could always replace your guitar or band. ;);)

yamariv, scooter500, Brutus and 4 others like this.
  11. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Add a buffer before, and to my ears it is pretty transparent

Freddy G likes this.
  12. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Turn your volume knob down at the end of each song...

13. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

I'm pretty sure your shielding should be grounded. At least, that's what I've read when dealing with shielding guitar cavities, etc. I have a Tele with the shielding paint and it's included in the ground to the bridge.

Heppe, Gooner and northernguitarguy like this.
  14. Michael94

Michael94 Member

Anyone ever tried the Lace P90's? I've never heard them myself but I stumbled across their website and read about the ones they have with vintage tone and no hum. Don't know how accurate the are. But it might be worth a look I guess.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  15. CCK

CCK Senior Member

Agreed, when the hum becomes audible over the bass and drums, there's a problem. Till then, there is no problem, it is the nature of single coils.

16. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

This has Sheptone P90s. Amazing pickups! I gig with it and the hum is minimal. I always ride the volume knob before and after each song. Sometimes even flipping to the middle position will have a hum cancelling effect. Good luck and keep rockin' those P90s.

[​IMG]

17. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

THIS

Kris Ford and northernguitarguy like this.
  18. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

I have one single Kinman in a PRS, as well as a Hamer with a pair ofr regular noisy P90's.

It took me some time to find the optimal wiring and settings for the Kinman but right now, I can say that it doesn't sound fake once compared to the real thing. And it's much much less noisy (while it sounds better to my ears than a regular P90 + a Ilitch air coil, that I've tried too: Ilitch / Suhr air coils work better with Fender style SC's, IMHO and IME).

FWIW. YMMV. Good luck in your quest.

NotScott likes this.
  19. tzd

tzd Senior Member

How about a noise gate pedal? ISP Decimator.

20. northernguitarguy

As cool as it is that OP's getting great suggestions for some neat gear, I still can't help but think something is wrong with his guitar electronics or the signal chain. I've used my P90 guitar at my middle school workplace, beside the computer hub room, lit by fluorescent lighting and didn't have a problem with hum.

Rhust and NotScott like this.