Love this new 'Band in a Box' pedal

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by MorganPeline, Feb 25, 2015.

1. moomtazz

moomtazz Senior Member

Does anyone have ideas on how to use the Trio as a learning tool for a beginner? I bought one yesterday and right now the headphone option is the most useful part for me.

2. moomtazz

moomtazz Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfx6ZHyrunU[/ame]

Too late to edit my post above, but later that day I found this video which looks like it will be useful for a new player like myself. I know I can do the same thing with any backing track but I have never even used one.
    I guess a + for the Trio over a backing track is that I can use whatever Key I want and not have to find a backing track in that key. (Does that sound like a plus?)
    I know once I dig in alot of my questions will be answered but I loaned the Trio to a friend at work who is a very experienced bass and guitar player. Hoping he can give me some suggestions on how I might use it.

3. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

This thing is great. Took it home, turned it on and tried it out. Had a WTF moment. Last resort, read the manual, now having a blast!

4. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

It depends what you want to learn. Given my quick experience, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the pedal is using your chord structure to come up with a drum/bass line. So once you've come up with a chord structure you can play over the top of that with your rhythm parts (practice timing, rhythm, listening for chord changes) and you can also solo over the drum/bass line too.

What is really awesome, imho, is pairing this with a looper, so you can have the Trio create the drum/bass line, play your rhythm on top of that, and then use the looper to record your composite drum/bass + rhythm track and play some leads over it.

I guess the question is, what is it specifically you are most interested in learning? Come up with a couple of ideas and I'm sure some of the more experienced folks (probably not me!) can help.

5. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

Subscribed.

6. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

"The biggest threat to creativity is, ease of use" Jack White.. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  7. Archer

Archer Senior Member

After a lot of playing around with my Trio, I've found the best way to use it is to lay down a basic chord structure, not an accurate song part. This video explains it perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RLz6_rPdw

Skip ahead to about 1:40

2 people like this.
  8. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

This thing would be more of a toy/novelty to me but that's a really good video. You can definitely tell the difference in how he laid down the tracks.

9. Codeseven

Codeseven Senior Member

After taking Best of Show NAMM 2015...

DigiTech TRIO Band Creator Takes

What's new with the Trio? I don't see any Firmware Updates. Is it still able to do what you were hoping it to? Are you guys still using them? In what ways?

1 person likes this.
  10. MorganPeline

MorganPeline Senior Member

11. Dino

Dino Senior Member

I currently have a Ditto and was looking to add the Beat Buddy.
    I just like the sound of the Beat Buddy better than the Trio.
    Hoping to be able to use both the Ditto and the Beat Buddy together.
    Should be fun!

2 people like this.
  12. MorganPeline

That sounds like a really good idea!

13. Dino

Dino Senior Member

After doing a little research, I found that the Beat Buddy and Ditto won't sync up. You would need a looper with midi capability, like the Infinity.

14. MorganPeline

1 person likes this.
  15. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

There is a Trio on craigslist for $125. Been debating on calling about it.

16. Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre Senior Member

I got a Trio for Christmas but as I feared, found the basslines way to busy and all over the place to jam to, like trying to solo to a bass solo. Just installed the update that you pointed out and find the simple bass line options much better, maybe too simple however. :hmm:

But I will be trying the Trio again now that there are more bass options on it.

1 person likes this.
  17. InkedLester

InkedLester Drippin with Blues Blood

So is it worth the price of admission or should I just stick to jamming to the free thousands of backing tracks on YouTube???

1 person likes this.
  18. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

I found one on craigslist that still looks new for $125. I wanted to pick one up when I first saw them for $179 but never jumped at it. I am still debating for $125. I use backing tracks on YouTube pretty regularly but I am intrigued by this.:wow:

1 person likes this.
  19. Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre Senior Member

I still find it way more fun to jam to the many jam tracks I have downloaded because they have the elements of a real band. I don't have a real band so if I wanted to perform for some friends it would have to be with a jam track, which is fine. But a looper or Trio lets one create the rhythm with the looper or the bass and drums with the Trio, thus sort of creating the whole performance in front of the audience.

As pointed out many times, the ultimate would be to combine the rhythm laid down on the looper with the bass and drums on the Trio, not a simple task. Apparantly Digitech is coming out with an all in one version in the future which might be worth waiting for.

Trio, jamtracks and rhythm laid down on a looper are all good options, just depends on how many options you want. Having to create my own "band" I'm open to as many options as possible.

20. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

DigiTech Trio+ Band Creator and Looper | Sweetwater.com

Ask and ye shall receive. In the past months or so they came out with just that. I have been thinking of picking up a Ditto looper or something to go with the Trio if I get it.

1 person likes this.