Love this new 'Band in a Box' pedal

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by MorganPeline, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Sean0913

Sean0913 Member

My observation, is that lots of "First Responders" are now trying to discretely ditch their Trio pedals in droves, hoping that word doesn't spread about their disappointment before their value drops, and they can't easily recoup their initial investment (or as much of it as possible).

I almost jumped, but I'm glad I didn't. I really dislike the drum algorithms and overplayed fills.

Best,

Sean

2. Kyle76

Kyle76 Senior Member

Really? Out of the thousands sold, I see exactly one used on ebay and none on The Gear Page, probably the biggest pedal forum. I haven't seen many negative reviews, except for those who thought it might be a performance device, as which it was never marketed. Where are you looking?

3. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon Premium Member

Where do you observe that?

(Oh, hang on. Kyle's already asked. I didn't intend to act indiscreetly. I shall duck out so the other guy can act discretely.)

4. Codeseven

Codeseven Senior Member

No need need to worry about having to ditch a product before the value drops.

Most of, if not all, the major vendors offer a full money back hassle free 30 return policy. Spend a month messing around with it as much as you want. Don't like it? Drop it in the mail for a full refund. Pretty easy.

5. Sean0913

Sean0913 Member

That's good. Yeah there are more than 1 used pedal, because they are private party sales, you can see which are dealer. My information, is based upon talking to others that have the pedal, and ebay (completed listings and active) and a few other sites. It's still new, but it's also speculative, as far as people saying they got it and want to sell it and get Beat Buddy, or they like a software approach to a backing band better, etc.- haven't seen TGP, admittedly, and I didn't know about the 30 day guarantee, but then again, generally I don't buy online anyways.

Almost every review I've seen in the different places, had a disparate number of people underwhelmed with that pedal, and as you said, most thought it would be good for performance. That seems to be the biggest beef.

The buzz I recall from the marketing/initial hands on data, prior to anyone getting them, was - now you have a backing band, fire your drummer, and it's even used with a PA, so I'd suggest that there were a lot of indicators, that suggested that it was a live performance device, without being explicit about it.

Best,

Sean

1 person likes this.
  6. Kyle76

Kyle76 Senior Member

No product is perfect, especially 1.0, but I've read a lot of posts about Trio, and I still say that you are way off base, Sean. There is a 50-page thread on Gear Page, and maybe one or two posters are dissatisfied to the point of selling or returning their units. Most of the discussion is where to place Trio in the pedal board signal chain. Kudos for being so smug about not ordering one for yourself, but your inference that there is some mass effort by owners to rid themselves of a poorly executed device is totally overblown from what I've experienced.

7. Sean0913

Sean0913 Member

How are my observations, not "my observations"?

I did say that I did not go to the Gear Page. I didn't even know about the Gear Page. Honestly, I'm not getting the response, going so far as to call me "smug". Who are you?

You seem awfully offended at me sharing my observations. It's not a scientific whitepaper, and I'm not purporting to speak for anyone but myself.

Why the vitriol?

Best,

Sean

8. Codeseven

Codeseven Senior Member

For anyone (like myself) that hasn't checked out the ongoing Gear Page thread.....

I've been reading through it starting from the last page. I figured if people were having problems it would show up in last half of the thread after the Trio has been 'out in the field' for awhile. There are indeed some complaint's but it's reassuring to see so many more positive comments than negative this far into it being available. There's allot of good info in that thread as far as setting it up and using it so it makes for a good read.

Also, there is a Digitech Rep posting answers to questions. Check it out.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-digitech-trio-band-in-a-box.1530016/

9. Kyle76

Kyle76 Senior Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, though it appears you have yet to try the Trio, but to state that early buyers are secretly selling their devices before some massive dump of used Trios onto the market causes prices to plunge is a pretty irresponsible statement. And, yes, you do claim to be speaking for many others when you cite "disparate" numbers of supposedly dissatisfied customers you have seen in reviews and through personal contact. Having read many such reviews, I'm curious as to where you have been seeing so many negative ones. I'm not being vitriolic, I just don't believe you.

10. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon Premium Member

You can't have this both ways. You can't on the one hand present an 'observation' that alleges covert behaviours, and then say that no one ought to ask you what observed evidence you have of those covert behaviours.

I mean, it's not the end of the world, that presentation - it's just flawed.

11. Sean0913

Sean0913 Member

Except, I did answer those that asked. You might have missed it.

And Kyle has said that "he doesn't believe" me. And that's okay. I'm not bothered by that.

But a good way to go about the whole thing, and keep it civil, would have been for someone else to say, "Hmmm, that's not been my experience, or observation." and move on along.

Shouting claims of irresponsibility, and such is a bit irrational, but hey, it's the internet, what can you do?

Lose sleep over people that don't believe you?

We can move on now.

Best,

Sean

12. Kyle76

Kyle76 Senior Member

That's pretty much what I did in my initial response to your post, quoted below, but you couldn't let it go, nor could you cite where you had seen all of these "disparate" numbers of people trying to discretely unload their regrettable purchases. Yep, this is the internet, where you have to call out the BS.

13. Sean0913

Sean0913 Member

Right. This was my response, in which I elaborated upon that question:

Yeah there are more than 1 used pedal, because they are private party sales, you can see which are dealer. My information, is based upon talking to others that have the pedal, and ebay (completed listings and active) and a few other sites. It's still new, but it's also speculative, as far as people saying they got it and want to sell it and get Beat Buddy, or they like a software approach to a backing band better, etc.- haven't seen TGP, admittedly, and I didn't know about the 30 day guarantee, but then again, generally I don't buy online anyways.

Best,

Sean

14. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I just ordered one of these Trio's from GC with a 20% discount, but will not get it for another month or so. These are on back order everywhere. I think Sweetwater has like a waiting list of like 100 or so, as of a week ago, which I'm sure is even more by now.

I'm liking what I see/hear on this Pedal. Perfect for some practicing or single playing a small one man gig, adding a nice Bass and Drums to your mix. I heard you just have to keep the Rhythm simple to get the timing/tempo/mix stage going and then you can go crazy or do what ever want, it should be lots of fun. I really like that it has Bass as well as Drums, which is very important to me, since Beat Buddy is only drums and I want the Bass to be there.

You all that have it already have had some time now to play around, how is it going with it.

1 person likes this.
  15. Kyle76

Kyle76 Senior Member

I've never used Beat Buddy, but having the bass in there allows you to improvise over something totally musical, not just a drum beat (not putting down drummers, I used to be one). You can mix in a chord progresssion on one verse, and then play lead on another verse, and it all sounds good. It really helps with timing and accuracy, as things just really come together when the timing is right and you're nailing licks, so it really encourages you to improve. Great practice tool, IMO.

16. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I have had Beat Buddy but not this product. For my purposes a simple series of backing tracks with the whole band is a better approach for how I want to practice. I did see this product in a live demo. It looked pretty cool and I could have purchased it right on the spot. Backing tracks won out..

17. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

Been a few days since the last post on this. Everyone still enjoying this one? Has everyone that ordered one got theirs?

18. JonR

JonR Senior Member

They're all probably busy with it right now. More fun than visiting MLP.... ;)

1 person likes this.
  19. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Tbh I haven't touched it for a wee while, but this thread has reminded me...

Been practicing sweep picking the past week and instead of the metronome I could use this pedal, even if it's just 1 chord looping so I can practice a single shape at a time I'll be able to vary the tempo with some bassline and drums.
    Should be better than the click of the metronome.
    Having said that I don't mind sitting getting in to some kind of Zen like state with the metronome!! But you know what I mean

20. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Certainly more fun then reading your posts.. Sometimes I want to stick an icepick in my eye when you go off on all the theory.. :laugh2::laugh2:

I mean that in a nice way...