Lots of People Looking For/At Low Wattage Amps!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by hipofutura, Oct 1, 2009.

1. sextypething

sextypething Junior Member

i agree. the blackstar is very nice. good buy with the tiny terror. i'm supremely jealous.
    i'm not a fan of the little MG marshall's either. i buy second or third hand by nature anyway- which is why i got a lead 12 instead of the blackstar. i wish the lead 12 was tube, but it's still great.

2. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

I'm doing a point to point supro in vj chassis..
    and an el34 power tube swap in another.
    plus franks vj hot rod mods.. which is not going along nicely thanks to tons of new stuff..but will be fine soon.
    these I'll be able to compare to a stock vj and my personal el84 vj.
    I just got set up to record clips so I'm going to.. when I get a chance.. !..
    try to get a demo up that shows not me shredding but the actual tones you get out of these.

I already know that if you set a stock vj beside a fender five watter, it'll blow it out of the water. I also know the crate V5 wouldn't stand a chance either.
    I know the 6V6 mods make big fat cleans.. but less overdrive/dist even when dimed. but those things loooove pedals so.. still a very good choice.
    I haven't heard the marshall or the tiny terror.. maybe next time I'm in the city I'll see if the GC guys will let me play my vj and one of those.

TWANG

3. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

I bet you TWANG's amps sound better than any stock Class5 or VJ for that matter. Why? He's using good parts. Simple.

To me it's an indicator. When I play an Asian amp and it sounds good at the store I think "wow, this is really gonna be killer" after I'm done replacing the crappy stuff inside. Why? Because you have to. There's no other way.

TWANG is cleaning the amp for you, his amps show you how the VJ circuit is supposed to sound like. EPI gives you a diamond in the rough, on purpose, up to you if you wanna clean it and make it shine or leave it looking like some worthless rock!

The same applies to every other little Asian-made amp out there.

4. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

Tele, not entirely accurate. The Ceriatone amps (made in Asia) use premium components. Just wanted to clarify! :thumb:

MUSTANGCAT likes this.
  5. 74custom

74custom Junior Member

If you can find one, the original Fender Super Champ is awesome. I bought mine at a yard sale. I put Groove tubes in it and it will sing. They are a bit pricey now, $800-$1100, but compared to some of the boutique amps out there, its not that bad. 18 watts, point to point wired. Loud enough to gig with, but you can get a good sound at home without ticking off the neighbors.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

7. wildybri

wildybri Junior Member

Out of the many posts, this one attract my attention. I believe it is possible for anyone to participate.

8. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

Come on in. The water's fine.

9. AlvisX

AlvisX Senior Member

Well, those 22 & 30 watters are more than enough to get ya fired from a gig.
    When I go out,I usually travel with a 50 watter ,a 20w & a 5 watt amp ,just in case things get really bad.
    I have walked away from a gig because of disagreement about whether we were too loud using a champ. As fate would have it ,we missed being hit by the fist leg of Katrina by not doing that gig

Anyhoo,I've been a long standing proponent of puttin a mic on the little ones. I've managed to build up a cool stash of lo watt amps for not a lot of money

One of my favorite amps is the Kalamazoo Model One.I don't have one but I did manage to score this Model Two for 70 bucks ,then re-wired it into a model one,by disabling the trem circuit which kinda loads down the killer signal.
    It's a single el84 amp ,but blows ANY any of that modern Valve jr type stuff

[​IMG]

I scored this amp at Mike's Music in Cincinnati. At $59 it was about the cheapest thing in the store besides a pack of strings.The shop staff were pretty oblivious ,they hhad never plugged it in and were shocked when they heard what it would do. But by then it was too late because it was comin with me.It's called a Gemhill.I believe it's Japanese, a dept. store amp from the 60s.After I got it home I did just a little tweakin on the preamp and WoW
    I've done a few gigs with this and my secret Champ mic'd up side by side

[​IMG]

I guess everybody must know about Sears amps .1482's have kinda gone thru the roof .I guess a lotta people really went for Sears amps after the White Stripes.I got this one for about $125. I bought it in an actual music store in '02 maybe. They're cool amps,dark ,kinda thick.They make a skinny strat sound fat.

[​IMG]

When a little more volume is appropriate, I go for the Sears 1483. These were the 1960's garage bass amp . I lucked out at a pawn shop years ago and got 3 for 70 bucks apiece
    My buddy Steve performing a 1483 shootout
    22 watts of keep the soundman happy

[​IMG]

Lately I been using an old 1968 Ampeg Gemini V when a Marshall is overkill
    .I got the working chassis for 100 bucks in a homemade headbox.A friend gave me an empty Yamaha 2x12 cabinet that it went in for awhile . Now I got a retro Ampeg headbox recently by JDesigns
    This amp has become to me what the tweed Deluxe is to Neil !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tazz3 and MUSTANGCAT like this.
  10. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

AlvisX, what a great collection of low watt amps! Very eclectic.

I'm always hoping to find some ancient tube amp for $50, but it never happens. Whenever I've seen the old Sears Silvertone amps they're over $400. No bargains for me!

I'm always watching ebay for the old obscure tube amps, but have yet to score.

Nice amps!

11. AlvisX

AlvisX Senior Member

I know, I can't believe they're fetching those prices ,but then again the fact that they've lasted so long .........and they're still around.I'd sure take those over a DeVille ,blues Jr or any o' that

12. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

my dad had a kalamazoo..
    gibson mandolin through it..

it wouldn't touch my vjs modded..
    the kalamazoos can be modded a bit themselves.. but bear in mind, these two tube single ended circuits while highly variable.. are also pretty old.. and quite similar.. a tube being no more than it's type, I guess.

that being said.. I miss my ampeg.. and my sears!
    both of them..

13. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

I realize that I'm probably in the minority here, but the best small tube combo amp I've ever played is the vintage Traynor YGM-3. I've owned two, one from 1973 and one from 1975. After a speaker upgrade (I use a Celestion Vintage 30), new filter caps, and some small mods, they are absolutely incredible tone machines for about $400.

I'm not a fan of the newer Traynors I've played, and I haven't played the reissue YGM-3s. But 70s Traynors are pretty incredible and very cheap.

Here's some good videos showing some of the mods and tones that can be had with this amp, even with the stock speaker:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLhGeU4wb2U]YouTube - Part 1 Traynor YGM-3 Tweak ??????????????[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JtIjZ7WAdw&feature=related]YouTube - Traynor ygm3 amp mod PT2 marshall mod[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsBoIpqVMo&feature=related]YouTube - Traynor YGM3 amp mod Part 3[/ame]

14. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

I love Traynors and the YGM-3 is a fantastic amp. I just sold my YRM-1. The amp I said I'd never sell.

The YGM-3 is right on the cusp of not being a small amp. Even though it's a combo it gets loud, and like most Traynors you have to crank it to get the good tones. Not an amp I'd recommend for home use. If I remember correctly it's not a master volume amp. I'd love to pick one up for cheap, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

15. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

Well, it's 20 Watts so it fits the 20 & under criteria of the thread, but you're right; without a master volume it's not exactly a "small" amp.

16. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

another new toy by Egnater........

The Tweaker is an ultra compact and amazingly versatile
    all-tube amp that offers a unique and sophisticated tone with
    seemingly endless tonal variations via the on-board “Tweaker”
    selector switches. Powered by a pair of 6V6 power tubes, the
    TWEAKER will set the new standard for gigging micro amps. The
    gain, EQ and master sections each have a Tweaker switch
    providing a wide-range of tones from the ultra smooth and
    satisfying to fully over-saturated lead tones.
    ARE YOU A TWEAKER?
    F 1x12” Combo
    F CelestionTM G12H-30
    F Void-Free Birch Ply
    Construction
    F 15 Watts All-Tube
    F 2 x 6V6 Power Tubes
    F 3 x 12AX7
    Pre-amp Tubes
    F Master Volume, Gain
    and 3-Band EQ
    F Modern/Vintage Amp
    Voicing Switch
    F Buffered Effects Loop
    F Selectable AC,
    British and
    American
    Tone Controls
    F Clean/Hot Gain
    Selector
    F Tight & Bright
    Voicing Switches
    F 100V / 115V / 230V
    Switchable
    TWEAKER 112
    TWEAKER 112X
    F 1x12” Extension Cabinet
    F CelestionTM G12H-30 Loaded
    F 30 Watts RMS
    F Partial Open Back Cab Design
    F Void-Free Birch Ply
    Construction
    Hidden inside the TWEAKER is a vast array of tones not usually
    found in amps this compact. Each of the five toggle switches
    on the front change the character of the amp. The TIGHT and
    BRIGHT switches shape the low and high end
    from soft and smooth to punchy and aggressive.
    The GAIN switch goes from sparkly clean
    to an all out high-gain assault. The EQ switch
    lets you select from pristine American to classic
    Brit and even the illusive VX AC sound.
    The CLASSIC/MODERN voicing switch allows
    you to select either soft and smooth or hard
    and edgy power tube tone. It’s all in there to
    satisfy the ultimate “Tweaker”.

http://www.egnateramps.com/download/2010EgnaterCatalog.pdf

Peter

17. teemunknee

teemunknee Senior Member

+1...hell, +4 :) :thumb::thumb:

18. captainbraindamage

captainbraindamage V.I.P. Member

Victoria 5112
    5F1 circuit with a 12 inch speaker

[​IMG]

19. darkr_reaver

darkr_reaver Senior Member

Heard of the Gretsch G5222? ... Little 5 watt amp looks like it could be good. Not sure because I've never heard of one until today, nor have I heard one in person or on youtube. I just know I like Gretsch guitars, and if this was made for them, then I'll probably get one and love it.

20. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

anyone tryed a cornford harley?