Lots of People Looking For/At Low Wattage Amps!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by hipofutura, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Tonequest

Tonequest Senior Member

There is also the Laney VC-15 (15W Class A) which I own and is extremely nice. Warm bluesy tone. Plus also the Laney Cub 8 and Cub 10

VC-15: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZdheUK3ZkY]YouTube - Thin Lizzy - Still in love with you (LANEY VC 15)[/ame]

Cub 10: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmvq63A08nk]YouTube - Laney CUB 10 class A/B all tube guitar amp demo[/ame]

2. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

I've got the Carr Mercury and it has the goods down just fine. Yes the tone changes a bit as you attenuate with the built in attenuator since you are not driving the speaker as much. Other than that the tone is distinctive. the Carrs have a tone, I've played higher wattages ones and they still have the same voice.

The 1/10 watt setting is too low for any use outside of the "Bedroom level" arena, but the 1/2 watt setting is to die for.
    This is a dirty little amp. Cleans are there but you need to be in the eight watt setting to really enjoy them. Even than, the growl is only a hard strum away.

The Reverb changes depth as you add gain via the three position gain switch. The lush reverb you get on the clean setting tightens up and diminishes on the higher gain settings.
    For the money I wish it had an effects loop, but I can't argue with the design signal path's tone, so I know Carr went this way on purpose.

Man I love this amp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MUSTANGCAT likes this.
  3. p90rules

p90rules Senior Member

Absolutely love my Sewell Wampuscat 22w

[​IMG][/IMG]

marc1kim likes this.
  4. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

Well I'll show my ignorance and admit I've never heard of a Sewell amp.

5. p90rules

p90rules Senior Member

Check out the recent range of PRS amps made for PRS by Doug Sewell, as used by the Allman Bros.
    My amp is from his early pre PRS days & was a custom one off cab quite unlike the other Sewell combo's.
    It's an absolute tone monster.

6. GibsonByBirth

GibsonByBirth Banned

I traded it in. It sounds natual enough in a bedroom. Outside cranked up it sounded stiff. No overdrive. I kicked in a couple of hundred more and got the Vox Night Train (15/7.5W). At first I played it through my peavey classic chassy with 4 10 Peavey blue marvel speakers. So I would have two full amps, I bought a Fender Band-Master VM 212 2x12" Straight Guitar Speaker Cabinet. It has 2 Celestion G12P-80 speakers. The Night Train has great versitlity. It can sing like a siren or scream like a banshee. It has clear brights and heavy gain. The controls are direct and easy to use. This is all tube that easily drives the cabs I have. It sounded great the other night outside at a friends house. We cranked it to nearly full. Between the two of us taking turns, it handled long pure feedback substains like Santana's and Hendrix's. Still getting to know this set up but it is a keeper.

7. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

[​IMG]

it's the five watter that's the best to modify.
    and beats anything near it's price range once modded, including mod expense.

I suspect the Hot Rod Vj and Valve Senior are next on my list.
    But I'm building my own 18 watt in a couple of versions soon, too.

MUSTANGCAT likes this.
  8. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

oops should have used a shot that shows off the donkey better.

[​IMG]

Tazz3 and MUSTANGCAT like this.
  9. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Senior Member

Nobody mentioned these two which kick ass:

Soldano Atomic 16
    Soldano Astroverb

10. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Donkey RULEZ!!! :D

TWANG likes this.
  11. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

I gonna make that donkey my biz logo.

12. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

I'm wondering about that new class A 5 watt marshall they just put out. Waiting about some more reviews. My blues jr NOS does a good job but it's still too loud to dime at home.

13. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

Did not expect to see the TR Custom Reverb ha.

14. Boshizzle

Boshizzle Senior Member

I have read that lot's of them have a bad rattling noise coming from somewhere inside the cab and at least one person who got one with bad tubes. But I'm hoping it will be a good little amp, so we will have to wait and see. They should be shipping out from US retailers sometime in December, last I heard.

15. xbolt

xbolt Senior Member

I've been using my Mesa Studio 22, Marshall Artist 30 and Seymour Duncan 84-50 as lower volume and band level tone generation. Three great amps with all you need for a mix of small scale but big tone :slash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Swordscythe

Swordscythe Senior Member

I've tested the Marshall Class 5, Blackstar HT-5 and Orange Tiny Terror this weekend.

Marshall Class 5 was worthless. Piece of crap. Its really too loud before it goes in overdrive, the overdrive stinks, the dynamics aren't good and the clean isn't pretty.

Blackstar HT-5, I liked it. Its got a nice Clean channel that goes pretty loud without any breakup. Not extremely clear, but good enough. The other channel is cool, as you can equalize it, gain it and get an ISF feature that changes your tone. Personally, I wasn't that big a fan, because the ISF never made it sound like marshall or mesa, it just added some bass and mids, or pulled them out, it didn't really 'change' the blackstar's tone. I'd personally think it's a great buy, even though its not tonally fantastic. IT does have tons of features, and it seems to be quite well-made. The 2 possible emulated line outs, headphone out and effects loop make it the ideal all-round bedroom amp. It has acceptable tube tone at low volumes.

Orange Tiny Terror: this is a tone monster. Really. It only does one sound, but it freakin' nails it. I think the Blackstar HT5 is a better bargain because it's cheaper and it has WAY more features. Tiny Terror has nothing. Except it sounds fantastic. But let that be just the most important thing in an amp.

That Tiny Terror combo made me fall in love with Orange. I always hated them because I couldn't afford them, but when I actually finally heard one of them, hate ended and love set in.

17. roxrob

roxrob Member

have a look at this. I got number 42 of the first 100, all hand built by Dave Green of Orange/Matamp fame.

Hayden Amplifiers

All I can say is AWESOME!!!

Rob

18. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

Tiny terror anyday

19. String Beano

String Beano Senior Member

Vintage Bogen Challenger 10 watt (1 x 7868)
    Vintage Silvertone 1482 (Danelectro) (2x 6V6) approx 12 Watt
    Vintage Sano point to point w 2x EL84 approx 18 watt
    Vintage Univox U45B
    All into Clelestion Blue or G12H

20. sextypething

sextypething Junior Member

hey, i just picked up an '86 marshall lead 12 micro full-stack. i got it to record with and to practice---until my band members heard it! we love the tone, and it is very responsive no matter how you have the controls. we started mic'ing the amp through the PA, but it can go head to head with the drums.
    thinking about actually using it in my next gig. possible disaster is so exciting=)