Lots of People Looking For/At Low Wattage Amps!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by hipofutura, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ajay

ajay Senior Member

I have a friend making me a Fender Champ head from scratch. I'm going to build a 2 by 12 cabinet to match. I'm sure that it will be slightly hot-rodded since he builds 100 watt Marshall heads from scratch. We may be starting a smallish amp company based on these point to point hand-wired tube amps. I think it would be fun.

1 person likes this.
  2. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Member

I sold my beloved Hot Rod Deville 410 because it was too much amp for my near term needs. Too loud, too heavy and there were some other aspects of the amp that weren't very appealing to me. Cleans to die for though.

I needed an amp that I could get along with at home but that would still keep up with the band, and I wanted it to have some balls when I cranked it. So I went a different route and built a clone of a Marshall 1974 18 Watt amp using the Weber 6M18VIB kit. Cost was the major differentiator for me choosing Weber, and I'm extremely happy with my decision.

[​IMG]

I went with a 2x10 cabinet with 2 Weber Blue Dogs and it sounds absolutely killer. I can play it quietly at home and it keeps up with the band too. For those of you with a yen for a classic circuit and with some rudimentary soldering skills, kits are an incredible value. It sure met my low-watt needs.

Unfortunately it turns out I love building amps, so I think I'm going to get my Fender back on and build a Deluxe Reverb clone.

1 person likes this.
  3. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Senior Member

I love that previous post with the Marshall nameplate on the VHT Special 6 Ultra. I have that 6W combo too. I upgraded the stock 12" VHT Chromeback speaker to a Celestion Vintage 30 this past Spring. Instead of 16 Ohm like the original speaker I opted for the 8 Ohm. The reason being is I'm using and EL34 for the power tube (Tung-Sol brand EL34B and 12AX7's) and can still use the 16 Ohm setting on the back panel to better match the EL34 tube to amp impedance per VHT. That would be true if using a 6L6 power tube too. But if I were to use a 6V6 or EL84 then I'd have to move the switch to 8 Ohm of the new speaker to match the tube to amp impedance if you see what I mean. I made a little "8 Ohm Speaker" sticker for the back panel with a label maker just as a reminder to myself.

[​IMG]

How does the V30 sound? Actually I am surprised the stock Chromeback sounds pretty close to a V30, it is British voiced so that's part of it. My reason for doing it was to use an EL34 power tube at a optimal impedance setting and needed an 8 Ohm speaker to do it. I'm going for a more Marshall sound and get the proper amount of palm muting thump with an EL34 power tube and depth setting clockwise. Right now I'm using the Clean input with my pedal board. The RC3 and CC are wired to the amp's effects loop.

[​IMG]

But I also use the Ultra input to get either a controlled power tube or preamp distortion but setting Volume knob high and Ultra knob low, or vice versa, to keep the the loudness at bedroom/living room levels when practicing. Either way gives me great tube tone depending of you like preamp tube overdrive or power tube overdrive.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

I feel the old tweed Champ (5F1 circuit) is just about the best practice out extant. It's small, simple, and sounds spectacular.

Last year I agreed to build one, but ended up building four for people. I stretched the cab and used a 10" Weber 10A150 alnico. And of course, Mercury Magnetic transformers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8 people like this.
  5. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

Here's a low-watter I recently acquired. Plugging it into a Peavey Classic 112e cab with a Weber Blue Dog Ceramic. It sounds a bit dark and mids-focused in a "Dumble-ish" sort of way. But I'm still in the honeymoon period.

With both Vol. and Gain knobs at 12 o'clock, this does not put out much sound. Witness the You Tube video "Chuck Loeb plays a CAJ Tube Top" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2IrEjI6mS8
    Beyond that gain setting, the sound starts to get compressed.

It does fill a niche need, inasmuch as my other small amp, Ibanez TSA15H sounds mostly clean all the way to max. (which is not much, as it is nowhere as loud as the Blues and Pro Jr. amps I used to have. Why is that, when they're all 15 watters?)

If anyone else has an amp like this, I would be interested in knowing what speaker you're using it with. Thanks!

Custom Audio Japan (CAJ) Tube Top (5.5w)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. picoman

picoman Senior Member

How does an 2x10 combo compare to 2x12 combo?

7. bridger

bridger Senior Member

I bought a used VOX AC4C1-12 (4Watts). It sounded great but kind of harsh with higher gain.
    I changed the original Chinese Tubes 12AX7 for a JJ5751 & JJ EL84's. :shock:WOW! what a difference! Then replaced the stock CelestionVX12 for a Celestion Blue Alnico 15W I had lying around.....&:shock:Again. Absolute tonal nirvana. No-one can believe a little 4 watt amp can sound this good.

1 person likes this.
  8. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

Yeah those Chinese tubes are great for brightening up darker amps and adding gain etc, but in anything like a Vox they're just too bright. Congrats on finding a set of tubes that work with it. I'm a HUGE fan of 5751s.

9. Wraptail

Wraptail MLP Vendor

That's a nice rig there!

10. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

The Orange Dark terror is a fantastic low wattage amp that is quite versatile actually!

I like to use mine with lower gain and higher volume to push the power tubes, and it sounds amazing with dirt pedals as well!

[​IMG]

I love my Rockerverb MKIII, it's a fantastic amplifier but I can't seem to make myself get rid of the Dark Terror, it's just such an amazing little package, and for those who hate to carry tons of gear, but want huge tone, I highly recommend it. The only thing that sucks is that it has very little head room, and it's necessary to use pedals to have "two channels".I used it live for 2 years and it never let me down, plus the effects loop is great to have, but it's very noisy.

Volume is not an issue at all, it can easily drive a 4x12 and cut through the mix still.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tazz3

Tazz3 Senior Member

Iam now thinking about the Orange tiny terror and Orange can,
    Iam looking for that nice tube tone, I have the Laney 10 orderd
    But I can't Waite till nov 15

12. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

[​IMG]
    This ones doing it for me at the moment.

3 people like this.
  13. Tazz3

Tazz3 Senior Member

2 people like this.
  14. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

15. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

You're not wrong! :cool:

16. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

I've got two low watt amps ... a 72 Vibro Champ and a newer Gibson GA5. I like both but the VC has the most amazing Fender clean tone!

17. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

just ordered a micro dark 20w hybrid. cant wait to get
    it in and see how it sounds !

18. ajay

ajay Senior Member

My 2003 Gibson GA-5 Les Paul Reissue is a great little amp. Apparently Les was involved in laying it out, with two guitar inputs, one clean and one with gain low on the knob. They make it one of the sweetest Gibson Amps. It is wired almost identical to the old Fender Champ, and I love the vintage looks. Mine has some Cap upgrades, wiring upgrades, and a Jensen 25 speaker upgrade, and they give this some awesome tone.
    On YouTube, you can find a video of Billy Gibbons playing at a benefit plugged into a GA-5 miked into the PA, so that is recommendation enough for me.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. zviad

zviad Member

hello from Georgia! i have a question

want to buy amp for home use. i ve got greco les paul egf 850, so which amp is better?
    vox ac15c1,
    fender blues junior 15w
    fender super champ xd(x2) i know its hybrid
    or something else?

i think that 15W tube amp should be fine. or maybe hybrid is better?
    under 400$, used or new. thank you!

20. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Honestly I'd have to know what you want to play? Blues? Metal, jazz?

If you want the one-size fits all answer for the house? Yamaha THR10.

1 person likes this.