Lots of People Looking For/At Low Wattage Amps!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by hipofutura, Oct 1, 2009.

1. StandingWave

StandingWave Senior Member

I usually have the tone knob at least 3:00 without the boost engaged, lower if it is. Depth often is full up, or close (the most bass), and Texture is off (the most treble and harmonics). These are clean settings, which is how I usually use the amp (with or without dirt pedals).

For your own settings, I'd suggest playing around and exploring by ear. Settings are dependent of the guitar, the cab and speaker (I'm using a head), tubes, preferences, other rig settings, etc. In the ideal situation, I'd start with the tone controls set flat (and I have no idea what those settings might be with your modified tone stack). Then I'd try to balance the amp's highs and lows. Then I'd set the mids.* Then I'd repeat, as things will interact -- it's an iterative process. Beyond that, I'd use the guitar I'm tuning things for. For an LP, I usually tune to the neck pickup with pickup's volume on 7.5-8 and the tone on 10, for the brightest tone I want from the neck.

If you can't get what you want from the amp with similar tuning techniques, you may want to try an EQ pedal. Sometimes a speaker swap is necessary.** Sometimes a particular amp isn't the right tool for the specific job. To me, the most important thing is getting a clean tone I like. The rest can be done with pedals, if necessary. Others will have different thoughts on this.

* If you can't get enough mids when the mids control is maxed, or when there is no mids control, try turning down both the treble and bass.

** I haven't heard the stock speaker, or the combo at all. The stock speaker supposedly is pretty good. Speakers can have a relatively strong effect on the overall sound, but that's another adventure.

2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I just posted about my new Fender Vibro Champ..what an amp!
    Photos too.

3. moomtazz

moomtazz Senior Member

I swapped my VHT S6U for a friend's Fender Champ 600 (just for a short time, not a permanent trade). I really like the Champ! It does great bedroom stuff if you use the volume on your guitar. One volume knob and a low and high input but it sounds very good to me.

If I had to do it all again I would probably have bought a Champ over the VHT. The Champs are $199 but I see them on sale often for $150. So it's about half the price of the VHT S6U. If you want super simple but good sound you should try the Champ. If you like to tweak stuff the VHT is nice and it can sound good also.

1 person likes this.
  4. solderjunkie

solderjunkie Senior Member

Here's a low watter for you:
    [​IMG]

And a demo vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcAK6_zA_iw

It's a 20 watt 6V6 with V, T, MV format. A very dynamic amp that gets both Matchless (Vox) sparkle and Tweed Deluxe crunch (with a much tighter bottom end) and everything in between. No pedals used in demo. Just tele, strat and LP straight into amp. The master is very useful for bedroom volumes. I recommend plugging into a sound system or a good set of headphones to do the tone and overall sound justice. Thanks for looking!

5. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Here's a low-watter for you. One of the best damn amps, I've owned. Traded a generic digital modeling amp, to get an original analog Marshall modeling amp.

Modeled after its big brother...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. moomtazz

moomtazz Senior Member

I just got back from GC where I A/B'd a Vox AC15C1 against a Fender Blues Jr III and NOS. I'm probably going to go pick up the Vox tomorrow or order a used one. It had great cleans and really nice crunch/dirt at bedroom volume. Plus tremelo and reverb but no effects loop. I set the all of the EQ knobs at noon and had a sound that I loved with no messing around.

7. Kinjin

Kinjin Member

I've read through some of these post on this massive thread, and I'm still not sure exactly what I'm after that's gonna give me what I want (what I think I want?), if there even is such a thing... so here goes...

I'm currently playing a 2013 Traditional through an EVH 5150III 100w head with a matching 4x12 cabinet. Insanely high gain, it's an awesome amp for when I'm playing stadium venues, which is absolutely never (I'm a home player, I don't gig). I bought it the year it was released, when the young and stupid was flowing through my veins and the reasoning was "oh yeah, I need this, it'll be bitchin' in the corner of my bedroom!" The reality of "bedroom volume" would not penetrate my invincible youth-shield until many years later... so I've been using this beast at a neighbor-friendly volume (1-2 max), and on weekends when I'm not feeling civilized, it may hit as high as 4.

I've been thinking about moving away from this amp to something less metal to something more rock/hard rock/classic rock, and have been looking at the JCM 800, 1987x, etc... but the sensible side of me is saying "those amps are still too big". I'd love to get something that's going to give me that kind of sound, at something I can play at a reasonable level/bedroom level or a wee bit higher than bedroom (I'm in a house, not an apartment, so not worried about angering the upstairs/downstairs/guy on the other side of the wall).

Unfortunately I live in an area that doesn't have much in the way of diverse choice to try out (I've got a Sam Ash and a GC nearby, which means testing different amps is limited to in-store stock unless I'm willing to pay for something specific that they can order in, and even then there are a lot of amps you all havce mentioned here that neither can even order!)

I've considered going with the JCM800 and then spending another $500 on a rivera rockcrusher to bring things down to the right levels, but that seems like a less-than-optimal-solution. So here I am, fellow LPers, asking you to guide my hand (and my wallet!) and help me with some suggestions of what may fit.

I know all that was a long read, so those of you who made it to the end, a big Thank You.

8. moomtazz

moomtazz Senior Member

If I were you, I would just go back and forth to GC and Sam Ash for a few weeks or months and keep trying out different amps.

9. notjoeaverage

notjoeaverage Senior Member

From my personal experience I'd keep an eye out for the Laney Cub15 and the Eganter Tweaker 15. I have heads not combos, I have some very good 2x12s so no need for combos.

The Laney has Reverb and inputs for 15W and .75W so you can keep the neighbours happy or still let the neighbourhood hear you when you crank all 15W. You'd be surprised how loud 3/4s of a watt is cranked too.

The Tweaker is recent for me, less than a week, but it is very versatile and a lot of fun and bedroom friendly. Lots of reviews of it here if you search.

Others to look for would be the Peavey Valve King Micro Head 1-5-20 Watts or their new Classic 20 and 6505, 2 channels and reverb. Heads only I believe. Hughes & Kettner has the Tubemeister 18 1-5-18W and some direct recording features worth looking at.

2 people like this.
  10. Tazz3

Tazz3 Senior Member

Iam thinking about geting the fender super champ,or the laney 12 r

11. socccero

socccero Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE2QTCQA45o[/ame]

Some vintage low wattage amps :)

3 people like this.
  12. Sequimite

Sequimite Senior Member

I've been working with a Peavey Classic Twenty trying to get more clean headroom. to that end a Weber speaker has just arrived.

Two days ago I picked up a Bell & Howell Filmosound cabinet in very nice shape with a 16 ohm 12" ceramic Jensen from 1956 (or might be 1946) with the intention of trying it with the Peavey.

Then, yesterday, I was visiting my neighbor and walked out with two Ampex 2010 combo cabs which each have two 6V6 power tubes and an Ampex labeled JBL 8" speaker. The sound of these takes me back to my '71 Fender Twin. Rich beautiful tone but maybe too clean? I'm going to try running stereo through these, or maybe one with my Peavey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

I prefer low watt amps lately.. I'm considering selling all my 50w and then getting a Mini-Rec (or Rectoverb) or PRS Archon.

1 person likes this.
  14. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I got a Like New Marshall SL5 in classifieds right now...

15. phodg

phodg Senior Member

I'm thinking seriously of getting a Randall RD5H. Seems like a great metal amp.

16. NGUT

NGUT Junior Member

If any one wants to get one of those 1 watt Marshall 50th anniversary amps for much cheaper than retail I have one on eBay brand new.

Link:

edit:
    link removed
    PM sent

17. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Some thoughts that might be helpful: If you're going w/ low watts, consider transformer upgrades, which offer power handling that can give great lows, while retaining shimmer, in a small amp. I use a much-modded Pro Jr (1st issue, USA) w/ Merc. Magnetics trannies, and it is awesome. Many/most of the really low wattage amps sound beautiful for a certain range of tones, but are also fundamentally limited. I highly recommend both the modding and tranny/speaker upgrades. In my case, tube swapping also made an amazing difference, and not always as expected. Jeff Beck was touring with mic'd Pro Juniors, so you know this kind of amp can deliver if set up right.

1 person likes this.
  18. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

OT's can make a HUGE difference!!

19. ajay

ajay Senior Member

Don't forget the Re-Issue Gibson GA-5. The mods that are designed for this amp qualify it as a true Boutique amp with a few inexpensive mods. I bought mine completely modded with a $90 speaker upgrade for $390 SHIPPED! Plus, if this amp is good enough for Billy Gibbons, they should call the modded GA-5 The Gibson Reverand Willie. This amp is unbelievable for five watts.
    My band has a Klipsch PA, and my Fender Twin has been replaced with a five watt Reverand Willie, and our sound man is able to get me a better sound in the mix than I have ever been able to get from my Twin. I am in love with a five-watt amplifier. I may sell the Fender Twin. I just don't need it!

20. Roman4405

Roman4405 Senior Member

I just traded my Fender BDRI for a '73 Vibro Champ, what a sweet sounding little amp that is. Plus I hooked it up to a 4×12 cabinet, holy crap that little bastard got loud.