Lots of People Looking For/At Low Wattage Amps!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by hipofutura, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

I have to vote for the Fender Ramparte. For $220 or so new, at 9 Watts, and with 2 channels and only volume for each one, it's a simple but good sounding amp. But it's freaking loud on the dirt channel when you crank it.

2. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Senior Member

I feel the new battery mini Blackstar Fly 3 warrants some attention here. I picked one up today. They go for $59.99 plus tax at GC. I had a $30 GC gift cert that I used to pick one up today. I want to get the extra speaker cab and, power supply when they become available. It only has a 3 inch speaker but, the sound is kind of cool for what it is. The power supply has to be positive tip and negative ring. I would not plug a class two transformer type nine volt with the wrong polarity into it. Even with the right polarity, nine volts might smoke it. It is a 6.5 volts and 1.5 amp minimum. It comes with six double A batteries included. Cool toy! This is not a bad mini battery amp.

3. d2_racing

d2_racing Premium Member

4. Buff2951

Buff2951 Senior Member

Laney TI15 - Its a 1 x12 combo with 15w and 1w inputs. Nails Sabbath and more than enough gain on tap for pretty much everything else. The PreBoost function is brilliant and actually noticable which helps.
    UK price is around £350, rarely plug any of my others in, if it had more headroom it would be the only amp i use.

5. d2_racing

d2_racing Premium Member

Anyone tested the Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:25 at bedroom level ?

6. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Senior Member

VHT Special 6 Ultra 1x12" all tube variable 1/2W-6W amp.

7. StandingWave

StandingWave Senior Member

Yep. I've had the head version for about a year now. It's my favorite home practice amp, and I have five amps that are 20w or less. I just stuck a new JJ EL84 in it yesterday and it sounds great, clean or dirty. I use it so much that I think I wore out the 6V6 that was in there.

1 person likes this.
  8. tamsay

tamsay Junior Member

What do you guys think about an amp which have 2 x 12AX7's at pre-amp and 1 x EL34's at power-amp, but only handle 5.5 watts of power?

9. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

Really depends on the circuit / builder / tone stack / features etc.

I have two amps that use 2 12AX7 for preamp and a single tube for output (one push pulls a 12AU7 the other is a SE with 6L6 ) and they both do an admirable job. But you're not gonna get ultra-speed-death-metal type gain out of them.

10. StandingWave

Could be cool, but about half the power I'd expect from that tube (but I'm no expert on this). Maybe the idea is to get the EL34 sound in a low-power amp. I was just looking at a 10w amp that uses one EL34 (Frenzel Champ Sportster). I have a 10w Phaez (on loan from a friend) that can run an EL34, but I have a KT66 in it.

11. tamsay

tamsay Junior Member

From what I've read on manufacturer's website (just so you know Custom Audio Japan, a branch of Custom Audio Electronics if I was right). This amp just weight 4kg but loads a bunch of features:

Controls: Gain / Bass / Middle / Treble / Level / Power Switch / Stand-by Switch
    Output: Power5.5w
    Tubes: EL34 x1 / 12AX7 x2
    Inputs: Guitar Input HI / Guitar Input LOW
    Outputs:
    Speaker Output(w/Dummy Load) 8Ω / 16Ω
    Recording Out w/Mic Simulation
    Headphone Out w/Mic Simulation
    Direct Line Out

Here is Chuck Loeb's demo of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2IrEjI6mS8

Being a Marshall fan, I wonder if the EL34's at that low power output would produces some Marshall-ish tone for bedroom level?

12. StandingWave

That looks like a cool little amp. It's hard to tell if you'd get Marshall tones without knowing more or hearing demos. A lot of that tone would come from the preamp and tone stack, likely far more than from the EL34.

13. tamsay

tamsay Junior Member

Yeah, I'd love to hear them more, but there are not so much demo of them around. Thanks for your input! :D

1 person likes this.
  14. DanielJ10

DanielJ10 Member

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post this, but I am looking for some advice on buying my first amp. This will be my first electric setup and I play purely as a hobby. I am looking for something that will allow me to play at bedroom levels.

I have tried out a couple of the Vox amps discussed on here, specifically the AC4TV and the Lil' Night Train, and have liked both.

Right off the bat, I will say that there is an AC4TV listed locally for $175, and the person is open to offers. It looks to be in decent shape, though I have asked for more pictures. This may make the rest of my post moot.

The Lil' Night Train still appeals to me,but would it be worth pursuing it? I saw one for $160, but factor in a cabinet, and I'm looking at double the price of the AC4.

15. Roman4405

Roman4405 Senior Member

I had an AC4C1 and was very happy with it at low volumes. It's a great little amp, the one I had had the Volume/Gain/Treble/Bass controls so it was easy to get a nice clean tone but also to push it and get some cool dirty sounds at low volumes. I also played it in a band setting (mic'd) but it held its own and as long as I wasn't interested in a clean tone sounded great. For the price I think its a pretty killer little amp and wish I didn't sell mine.

1 person likes this.
  16. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I'm really even more confused about my next amp. The Yamaha is awesome, though I will hopefully swap it out for the 10X model.

I want a small tube amp though. Don't need anything big, because once you get too big, it's going to be processed thru sound boards, recording stuff, etc... it just isn't that big a deal. But I do like the sound of a tube amp, on my ears. Plus, I just ain't that good. Haha...

I love the sound of the Blackstar tube amps. That's where the admiration ends. Don't like much else about the company. Then it seems like there's a grip of them, while low wattage, still require you to raise the volume level past bedroom level, to get good tone. No gain? Master only? Huh?

I thought I was willing to spend around $600 new/used... but now don't really want to. I honestly think if I was that motivated, I could probably just build one.

Don't like these hybrid amps...

I just want something that gives me that good, hard, edgier Brown sound like the Yamaha, but with a bit more of that tube warmth... doesn't have to do any more than that... which keeps sending me back to that little HT-1. Though the Orange intrigue me.

17. StandingWave

I had an HT-1 for a day and thought it sounded pretty good, but that wasn't long enough for any sort of proper evaluation. Will be getting another as soon a MF has them back in stock. The HT-1 seemed to do well at low volumes, plus sounded surprisingly big through an external cab.

[There's another thread on the HT1, where MF was blowing them out recently. MF was actually delivering the HT-1GC -- which was a 'special edition' with pieces missing. I wanted/needed the headphone output, so I sent mine back for a proper HT-1. It presently looks like it's back-ordered until February.]

1 person likes this.
  18. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Yeah, I had a similar experience, except GC was advertising it was the HT-1, when it was the HT1GC. Oh and they were charging $179 - $199 for them WHILE MF was blowing out a supposed Guitar Center exclusive at half the price.

Needless to say, I was pissed when I took that one back. Side note: that's how I found this forum. I asked about the issue on another and someone pointed me to the MF Sale thread. I had it for the same amount of time. Best sounding amp, of all the little ones I've gone thru, the Yamaha is more versatile and comes close to "that sound", I want. Heck, the 10X may fill the need.

I'm thinking I'd like something, that if I get a wild hair up my butt (at my age, it's not uncommon), I'd have access and ability to do some mods, up to and including circuit reconfiguration.

Been looking at a lot of the schematics people post here and I never knew they were such simple circuitry. There's a lot of room for experimenting and tailoring. Even been thinking about asking a couple of Service buddies, if they want to look into hot-rodding amps, that aren't known for it. Just doing crazy things with uncommon amps, etc.

You would think I would have done something like this 20 years ago, when the knowledge was still fresh in my head. Lot of life passed since and fading memories... but like I was saying. Very simple circuits and I recognized every part and what they did/do while I was looking at the schematics. I certainly am aware, is not that easy... but it's nowhere near outside the scope of what I've learned and done over the years. And I know some pretty smart guys. :fingersx:

19. StandingWave

If you want something low-power and moddable, have a look at the VHT Special 6 Ultra. It's 6w, inexpensive, hand-wired, but in a large (19.5") head cab or 12" combo. It plays well at very low volumes. I love mine, but it may not be 'brown' enough for you -- although you can get some decent drive with the Ultra channel (adds a gain stage) and an EL84. You can get power tube break-up at any volume.

4 people like this.
  20. StandingWave

Welcome to MLP!

1 person likes this.