Looks like we have Mr.Les Paul to thank for our Epiphones

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Malikon, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Malikon

Malikon Skree-ONK! V.I.P. Member

the last guitar he played was an Epiphone?

that's pretty awesome. :dude:

2. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

Check post #13.:D

1 person likes this.
  3. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

I read that post. :cool2:
    It reminded me that I had saved a few pix from that Les Paul auction you mentioned. I spent a few hours going over that website, too. He had a lot of Epiphones in his personal collection. Wished I saved the link, too!

1 person likes this.
  4. JMcDade03

JMcDade03 Senior Member

Sounded like he wanted his namesake in the hands of as many guitarists as possible....you'll do that with Epi prices, not Gibson's!

5. BobbySA

BobbySA Junior Member

thanks Malikon for the book reference. it was a really good read

6. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Let's not rewrite history to create a mythology that suits our wishes. Read Robb Lawrence's history of Les and Les Pauls if you have interest in facts rather than cliches and slogans. Les was way, way more than a simpleminded, one-note endorser, and the guitars themselves (his, and those marketed in his name) are all over the place in terms of design and manufacturer. Les himself favored gizmo-rich guitars, as he made his name with a sort of sonic-rich pop-jazz, and then, time passing, moved onto more conventional platforms (fairly standard LPs) though even then preferring low-impedance models until he finally just went, late in life, with the more standard version of his guitars. He supported Epi LPs for two reasons: (1) he genuinely wanted players to have good, inexpensive instruments, and (2) he got royalties. He, himself, continued to play Gibsons virtually all the time. The main thing to remember about Les as a designer and endorser is that he liked new things, innovated some, adopted others, took credit for some (often enough, as much as possible) relied on others for others. That's what's cool about the guy (in addition to his great ears for tome), and it's simply untrue to reality to talk as so many do, so tediously, about how the "true" Les Paul or LP guitar is this or that, or how Les really favored this or that. It was freaking all of them -- for a mix of commercial and performance reasons -- that's the point! Just read Robb Lawrence's books. The guy has no axe to grind and tells a fantastic story in detail, objectively.

7. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

Good points all, especially about re-writing history. Unfortunately, it happens all the time....to Les, to Leo Fender also, and many others. Leo made great guitars, but he often gets credit for doing amazing things when he was only trying to save money.....I love Fenders but facts is facts.