Looks like we have Mr.Les Paul to thank for our Epiphones

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Malikon, Aug 18, 2014.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

That's surprising. It's a lot less than several LP Standards without such an illustrious provenance have gone for. :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Wow -- never thought I'd run into the Henry J Fan Club. Gibson's improvements in recent years have been almost entirely player-driven and contrary to the direction of the company. Witness the reversal of the 2015 abominations. There are at least 3 excellent books on LPs and Gibson: Robb Lawrence's "The Les Paul Story," Tony Bacon's "Gibson Les Pauls" and Bacon's "Million Dollar Les Paul." None of these writers set out to do anything but recount the history, which speaks for itself. Corporate Gibson, both under Norlin and now under Henry and his boys, is relentlessly profit-driven at the expense of quality, value, and design. Yet they still produce (some) great guitars, and credit for this goes to the consumers who know what's good, buy it, and avoid the nonsense like the plague. As for Henry reaching out to Les Paul, that was simply sound business. It did lead to the flourishing of what we call "Epiphone" (just a recycled brand name) which -- bless him -- Les really did want to have happen so that players could get good, affordable guitars. Les Paul guitars. But it also led to that cynical merchandising of Les' "signature" (scrawl) on those awful headstocks, and the idiot hologram Lester sticker, and other efforts to cash in on Les. I love my Gibsons; I dislike the company greatly and wish someone would buy out the current owners.

1 person likes this.
  4. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I am sure you will not find them here in the Epiphone-section...:dude:

5 people like this.
  5. Alty

Alty Senior Member

I thought Henry J made cars....or was a car....but we do appreciate Les Paul for being the genius he was.

1 person likes this.
  6. RTH

RTH €piphoneWiki Team V.I.P. Member

While it is true that Henry owns the Epiphone brand, it is Jim Rosenberg who is responsible for the direction that Epiphone has taken since around 1993, which is when Epiphone really started turning around. Gibson ≠ Epiphone

7 people like this.
  7. George Hanson

George Hanson Member

Bingo

8. Alty

Alty Senior Member

Wonder what it would have been called, only if....

Mal, have you read "Gibson Electrics - A.R. Duchossoir (From the origins up to 1961)" it's a great read if you like the history of music and some beautiful pics to accompany the story....

2 people like this.
  9. Alty

Alty Senior Member

Interestingly (or not) Les Paul was never interested in playing Gibson guitars when asked, it was only after playing one in a meeting with Ted McCarthy & Phil Braunstein, after playing it he allegedly said to Mary Ford...."I think we should join them, now because they are really getting too close".

1 person likes this.
  10. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

I remember reading that too, and I believe it was in an interview with Les himself.

11. Alty

Alty Senior Member

Sadly part of the contract was that Les was only 'allowed' to play Gibsons in public, otherwise I wonder what would have happened....as Les was obviously years ahead of GIbson (And others) and wonder what 'his' guitar would have been if left to his own devices. (Recorder etc....)....

:hmm:

1 person likes this.
  12. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

I bought my first Les Paul Standard way back in about 1982-83. It was an ebony 1979 with uncovered T tops and a body that was obviously not babied. To this day I can still feel it, smell it, and hear it. I foolishly sold it for $425 ish with Gib case back in 1991. Flash forward to 2012. I now shop a lot of times at my mom and pop shop who used to be a Gibson dealer till their high quotas for a dealer to buy. He now carries, Epiphones and Fenders. Anyway, after numerous years of trying his Epi LP Standards I decided to get one. This time it was a beautiful Honey Burst that sat in his store for over 2 years. I liked how it sounded and played so I bought it.

After a little while owning it, I noticed the tailpiece studs were lifting out of the body on a leaning angle, so I arranged to have it go to the warranty repair guy. Upon picking it up he told me what he did and I took it home. It still looked less than perfect for me so I looked to fix it better myself. This time, I removed the studs from the body then glued in some dowels and prepared to redrill the holes straighter and smaller to leave a cylinder of the dowel wood in place to grip the studs and thus they'd stay in and stay positioned correctly. This was my first issue with Epi's lesser quality control. My case was not isolated either as I checked out other specimens in the same shop and others. Thanks Les for both my Original and my Epi LP Standards

Next, I installed a set of 1979 T Top pickups and took my Epi to a different luthier to have him install a bone nut. While installing the nut he checked for high frets and set it up wonderfully. This Epi is now a kick butt sustain monster of a guitar. I love it but would still love to be reunited with the first Gibson guitar I ever bought as a 20 something year old man. Thanks Les for my original and my Epi

1 person likes this.
  13. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

Thanks Alty, Here are a few pics to show what I described above.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the Tailpiece studs lifting out?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

After inserting dowels and redrilling:

[​IMG]

T Tops in:

[​IMG]

15. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

Number one of yummy T Top

[​IMG]

Number 2 T Top

[​IMG]

16. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

After:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

Nice job!^^^^^^But I think that since I was doing all that work, I'd have probably sprung for a Faber TP and studs.

18. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

Thanks Curmudge. I was planning on upgrading the hard parts like you said, and the 3 way switch and Input Jack as well. But as I tell a lot of people, I have a ton of other stuff that needs fixin and only a limited amount of $$$ right now. So, everything gets attended to as the $$$ come in. I don't have credit cards so every $$ has to be in my pocket before I can spend them..

1 person likes this.
  19. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

lotta pics, deserves its own thread.

Nice Epi

20. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

I had forgotten I had this picture saved. I figured this was the perfect place to share it.

I came across it one night while surfin' the Interweb where I found a link to Les Paul's Estate Auction Catalog. It had a lot of incredible images of his gear, not just guitars. This one really struck a chord (no pun intended) with me, since it shows the very last guitar he actually played...you guessed it...was an Epiphone Les Paul.:applause:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.