Looks like we have Mr.Les Paul to thank for our Epiphones

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Malikon, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

I'm reading a book called, 'Million Dollar Les Paul',...all about the history of this great guitar.

Good book, worth reading.

Anyway this got my attention and I thought it was worth posting about:

pg. 132

..this is right after Henry J buys Gibson...

"As far as the ever-popular Les Paul models were concerned, Juszkiewicz's position was that he had inherited a poor relationship between Gibson and Les Paul himself. "Les obviously had a proprietary interest in the success of his guitars, and they'd killed them, so he was pretty annoyed." (he's talking about the history of the LP and what happened to it during the Norlin years. All that is in the book as well. -mal- )

Juszkiewicz reckoned that Les, who lives in New Jersey, was constantly courted by the New Jersey-based maker Kramer. "He even did an MTV video saying how nice Kramer guitars were. So I established a rapport with Les early on, and that seemed to solve the problem," says Juszkiewicz.

"I listened to what he had to say. He wanted to see a lower-cost Les Paul instrument in our imported Epiphone line, for example, and we ended up doing that a few years in." "

...really interesting book for those of us who really dig the Les Paul and it's history.

Was really cool reading that the reason we even have Epiphone LP's is because Les Paul himself insisted on it,...seems like it was his idea.

kinda thankful that Les pushed Gibson to make Epiphone Les Paul guitars, I think that's pretty cool, and I suspect a lot of us owe the fact that we even play LP guitars to that conversation and Les saying that's what he wanted.

Thanks Mr. Paul :)

JMB1984, parts, geochem1st and 70 others like this.
  2. drpietrzak

drpietrzak Senior Member

Thanks!

3. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

Very Cool !!!

4. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Someday people really will realize that Henry saved a sinking ship, and will get the respect he deserves.

Strats were killing Gibson in the 60s, Gibson was killing itself in the 70s, Super-Strats were killing them in the 80s.

Slash for "image" and Henry on the business side.. Seriously. Thank them for Gibson cranking out their best stuff ever (I include the 50s when I say "ever").

4 people like this.
  5. rp1138

rp1138 Senior Member

It also kills the argument that Epiphone Les Paul's aren't real Les Paul's. Les himself thought they are.

End of argument.

23 people like this.
  6. Who

^^^^ Nobody ever argued that.

They argues that they are not as good as Gibson Les Pauls.

3 people like this.
  7. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Thanks to Mr. Juszkiewicz for having the good attitude towards mending the relationship
    with Les Paul and listening to his ideas.
    Henry gets such a bad rap but he did quite a few things right.
    The good outweighs the bad by a great margin.

radarlove, gitmohair and So What like this.
  8. Malikon

yeah Who it's a really interesting book if you haven't checked it out. I admit it's changed my view of ol' Henry a bit.

and I can see how much work, time, money,...and dare I say "love" went into the re-issues. And I see why it's taken them 20 years to get as close to 50's spec as they are now.

It's hard to make a corporation budge, apparently. It seems there was really only a handful of people pushing hard to get the details right and make them, "like they did in the old days."

apparently we have Collectors to thank too. They're the ones who really pushed Gibson to make accurate reissues and even seems like they provided the guitars that were measured and used to get more accurate vintage specs.

...like I said, very interesting book. One of the most interesting guitar books I've read, actually. It's not boring or technical at all, and is very much about the people involved and the journey the Les Paul has taken from it's inception through to modern times.

I'm learning a lot. Even in the 70's people were privately hiring Gibson to make re-issues.

It's amazing that it took Gibson until the 90's to actually listen.

Some of it actually reads like bad comedy,...just clueless really as to what musicians were asking for.

The World demands a Sunburst Les Paul Standard with humbuckers!
    Gibson re-issues a black 3 pickup Custom :facepalm:
    Gibson re-issues a goldtop with p90's :facepalm:
    Gibson releases a sunburst LP with mini-deluxe "baby" humbuckers :facepalm:

...the level of fail is staggering at certain parts of the book. Like mind blowingly stupid decision after stupid decision.

...Looks like around the early 90's!!!!..actual re-issues started being made.

That were totally wrong. :laugh2:

...but yeah this book is cool. It's a real page turner and I never thought I'd say that about a guitar history book. :laugh2:

8 people like this.
  9. Bobby Mahogany

Yeah but what if you took a high end Epi and dressed it with Gibson hardware?
    :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  10. Malikon

"new" Gibson hardware or old spec Gibson hardware? :hmm:

...'cause Gibson can take those printed circuit boards and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. :laugh2:

the Epi Trib+ is a power horse. Those are BA guitars. If only they'd make the Tobacco sunburst one have a red back instead of black, I'd be all over that like VD on a hooker.

4 people like this.
  11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Sure they do.....

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/oth...-strat-personal-observations.html#post6376206

:lol:

7 people like this.
  12. Malikon

:cool:

*poof*

4 people like this.
  13. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

And a couple of Les' longtime friends said that when he was in the hospital, the last guitar he played before he died was a white Epi LP Custom. I wish I would've bookmarked the site, but his estate auction had dozens of Epi LPs sent to him for input and approval, and he made detailed notes about what he liked or wanted changed about each prototype. Can't get much more "real" Les Paul than that!

14 people like this.
  14. cheetah77

cheetah77 Senior Member

You'd have a guitar coated in plastic with Gibson hardware.

MikeyTheCat and HRC like this.
  15. Who

Fixed it for you.

11 people like this.
  16. Sustainamaniac

Sustainamaniac Senior Member

IMO if you get a good Epi, it can legitimately be as good as any production Gibson. Before I bought my PTP (which isn't even as good as a T+), I played a lot of Gibson studios and standards and liked the PTP more. It felt more alive and played better. With arguably worse QC, that obviously won't always be the case. But Nitro vs Poly or "better" hardware isn't a determining factor for having a real Les Paul.

Thanks for posting. :thumb:

4 people like this.
  17. Who

Mal... any chance this thread can go back on track, and not devolve into "Epis can be as good as Gibbys"?

2 people like this.
  18. b3john

b3john Senior Member

IIRC, when Les passed, his estate had a metric shit ton of Epiphone Les Pauls. Now I understand why.

2 people like this.
  19. Bobby Mahogany

Some didn't get the joke...
    :D

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. cheetah77

cheetah77 Senior Member

:laugh2: I just stated a fact, nothing to fix.

1 person likes this.