Looking for most Affordable Best quality EQ Pedal....Opinions Needed!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by yamariv, Nov 6, 2017.

1. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Hey Guys,

I'm starting to do more lead work with our band and want to run an EQ pedal through the Effects loop of my AC30C2 to use as a volume boost for leads. I've heard this is the best way to do this with a tube amp and live gigging but don't know much about EQ Pedals. Any suggestions on a quality affordable EQ pedal that would work great for this?

Thanks

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

BOSS GE-7 usually sells for <$100 used. I briefly had one I paid $60 for. It certainly does the trick.

yamariv likes this.
  3. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

+1

4. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Like most other pedals, the key when shopping for an affordable EQ, especially used, is to find one that isn't noisy.

If you can splurge a bit, the programmable ones (Source Audio, for example) are seriously awesome. It can be akin to adding additional channels to your amp.

5. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

So dumb question as I've never done this before..is it as simple as turning up the level on the EQ and activating it and bingo, loud lead volume at will or should I be bumping the mids or too or something like that?

6. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

MXR 10-band EQ.

It is a slightly more expensive than the Boss GE-7, but you're getting a lot more for your money. It's far quieter, has more bands (thus it's a superior EQ in general), has gain and volume sliders that allow you to use the pedal as a boost and it has much more headroom as it runs off 18v. Everything the GE-7 does, the MXR does better.

You can buy them used for as much as a new GE-7. Worth every single penny.

The source Audio Programmable EQ is pretty neat though, even if it has fewer bands.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    yamariv likes this.
  7. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

What's your thoughts on the MXR 6 band EQ? I'm mostly just looking for a solo/lead boost and this one is a little more in my budget. Would the 6 band be a better deal than the BOSS quality wise? They are comparable on price

8. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

The MXR 6 band is okay, but while the 10 band is a bit more expensive, you get a lot more for your money. The 6 band lacks the gain and volume sliders that the 10 band has (which is extremely useful as a boost), and of course the fewer number of bands means you have less control over your tone in general. Save up for the 10 band, you won't regret it. :)

yamariv likes this.
  9. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Ok that makes sense for sure then.. Actually just found a brand new 10 Band for $30-40 more expensive than the 6 band. Definitely worth that money difference for sure.

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  10. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

I use the Boss for this exact purpose. You can set the volume boost and tone however you like.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  11. tzd

tzd Senior Member

For affordable lead boost, just get a TC Spark Mini for $50 new.

12. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

How does it sound? Would I be compromising a lot though?

13. dmvksv

dmvksv Senior Member

If you want truly cheap, check out the Danelectro Fish n Chips. Suprisingly good for the money.

14. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Update, I picked up the MXR 10 band EQ the other day but have only had a couple minutes to make sure it works properly and that's it. What I did notice is that is gives a HUGE volume boost through the effects loop for lead playing! Sounded pretty good too but I haven't had time to fine tune the tone though. Thanks for the help guys!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  15. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

You did right by buying the MXR graphic EQ. With the 10 bands, you can also adjust you tone -- really fine tune it. I bought mine when I had a Mesa Nomad amp that just sounded nasal no matter how I set the knobs. The 10 band design let me identify the "offending frequency" and cut it, while allowing me to boost sweet frequencies.

yamariv likes this.
  16. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

150 bucks the source audio eq is quiet as a mouse and not at all intrusive, i would not go back to any others and ive tried alot!

Oops you already bought, well... if you decide it doesnt work out... Source Audio will def make your day. Im a real nit picker too

yamariv likes this.
  17. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Brought the pedal to practice this week and it worked perfect as a boost for solos! Also, like you said, it can be used when not gigging at home to fine tune my tone :dude: Very happy with the purchase!

18. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Glad this worked out. Your choice was a good one. I use the GE7 and have no need for breaking things down into 10 bands rather than 7, but no one would regret having greater control! There are some easy mods described on the web, and the ones that improve the bass-boost capacity and the other that reduce noise are cheap, easy and great. I use mine

yamariv likes this.