Looking for inexpensive Maxon Dry Z Comparable Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by scott 351 wins, Dec 27, 2017.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

Im considering changing out my Gotoh pickups in my Tokai LS50. Im just not bonding with them. Plus I'm going to change out the odd computer board thing and probably go to some sort of Metric/Imperial Cremetone wiring harness.

I know Maxon made some other pretty good pickups during the same time period as the Dry Z's that are comparable. I just don't have a clue to what those are.

I'm wondering what do you guys recommend for a good classic PAF sound that's not muddy, has good middle clarity that has good bite to them. I had a set of Duncan blues pickups in my old Agile and they were muddy sounding to me, so I'm probably not going to consider Duncan's.

I was looking at Thro-baks SLE 101's but im not sure i want to spend that kind of money.

2. luis

luis Senior Member

scott 351 wins likes this.
  3. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Member

4. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Cool, I didn't know ECP had theirs out yet (I haven't kept up much the last year). I have a set of Fatboy Super-Dry that were also built to emulate the Dry-Z sound. To me they're just fabulous but I've never played a set of originals so I can't compare. The winder does business under the name Mark Foley Guitar Products these days, mainly single coils.

5. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I'll have to look into the ECP pups and the Fatboy's.