looking for highend LS from the "golden era"

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Dreyamnn68, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Dreyamnn68

Dreyamnn68 Junior Member

Hi, I'm new here, but have for a long time, read many threads about your great knowledge about MIJ Les Paul. From the “golden era” (late 70 to start 80) I have decided to look for one of this high end Les Paul. I'm looking for
    Grecco Navigator Tokai or Yamaha.
    My question is which of these brands is the best Les Paul for quality but also for the money.

It has probably been discussed before but would really like to hear your opinion now.

Hope you will share your expert knowledge

Thanks

2. mono

mono Senior Member

Tokai in my experience
    Consistently high quality
    Getting expensive now though

Dreyamnn68 likes this.
  3. Wolf ^_^

Wolf ^_^ Senior Member

I really feel like I am in no position of giving advice since I learned all from reading the incredible amount of information spread by many great forum members in here but which I am sure will come in soon and help you out.(Whoops seems one of them already did)
    Personally, I guess it depends on what you need/prefer, but I agree with Mono, Tokais it is were it is at, Grecos have the Braz boards and Dry Z, but feature by feature Tokais have everything for me.

Dreyamnn68 likes this.
  4. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

THIS. Tokai was always such a secret weapon to singlecut fans, but the value they have long carried is rarely there these days.

Sigh.

Dreyamnn68 likes this.
  5. Wolf ^_^

Wolf ^_^ Senior Member

I think i depends, since the CITES trade thy are offered way cheaper in Japan, but just before that they were reaching 2k for ls80s
    Outside Japan I think the prices are still the same

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Dreyamnn68 likes this.
  6. Dreyamnn68

Dreyamnn68 Junior Member

hey thanks for the quick answers. Actually if I could choose I would like to own a custom les paul. but how is the quality of exemplary greco EGC / EGF 1000 1200 or 1800
    or Tokai Ls / lc
    Navigator Lps / Lpc
    Yamaha Sl Lp / c
    Thanks

7. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

If I'm not mistaken, there were way, way more Tokai LS (standards) than LC (customs), at least judging by how many LC I see for sale (and even then, they're the low-range models without nitro lacquer, FEB etc). I think the same goes for the Yamaha. Remember that alongside the Yamaha Studio Lord, there was also the Lord Player, which is quite highly regarded; I've heard to look for ones with open book headstocks when looking at the Yamahas, as these apparently have more accurate specs.

Remember that model numbers in Japan are more often than not based on their RRP. So a higher number usually means a better guitar. As such, because of inflation, a modern day Tokai LS-128F would be less valuable (or at least less desirable specs) than say a 1979 Tokai LS-80.

Dreyamnn68 likes this.
  8. Dreyamnn68

Dreyamnn68 Junior Member

One of my requirements / wishes for my hopefully coming Les Paulis to be included with nitro lacqer....

Can you compare the quality between exemplary
    - Greco EGF1000 to EGC1000
    -Tokai LS100 to LC100
    - Navigator LPS200 to LPC200
    do you guys know? if there are higher numbers, for Custom Les Paul, out there than those I have found
    Greco EGC100
    Tokai LC100
    Navigator LPC200
    Yamaha LP???

9. villager

villager Senior Member

the quality is the same, its just custom or standard..
    and there is a nav 480 model..

Dreyamnn68 likes this.
  10. villager

villager Senior Member

check your inbox...

Dreyamnn68 likes this.
  11. Tcb37

Tcb37 Junior Member

I’ve been lurking/hunting for an old LS80 too. Unfortunately CITES appears to make it impossible at a reasonable price

12. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

Ultimately depends on what country you live in and whether you're willing to risk it. I did it on an Edwards E-LP-130ALS without issue from Australian customs, who are notoriously stringent. There is an inherent risk in doing it, but I haven't heard of anyone having their guitar (unless its brazilian rosewood) being confiscated, just slowed down. This is entirely anecdotal evidence though.

13. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

While I don't think CITES has made it easier to find LS80s, I think it has more to do with people hanging on to them. My 2 80s Love Rocks would be the last thing I would even think of selling. Even when I entertained the idea of buying a high end replica, the thought of selling them never crossed my mind. There was a big sales boom before the CITES, where it seemed like LS80s were popping up every other day. Then it waned just before the CITES. There's still deals to be had if you're patient. They aren't as cheap as they once were, but like any old gear that has become desirable, prices have gone up. I bought my Clyde Wah for $600 five or so years ago. Now you're lucky to find one under a grand. There is a LS80 listed in the classifieds for $1700. More than what they were pulling in a few years ago, but to me, still a great value compared to Gibson.

bluesriffdev and Wolf ^_^ like this.
  14. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

how long is a piece of string?

The high end Navs, Tokais & Grecos seem to all appeal equally. It comes down to personal preference.

I think the low to middle rage is where the most difference in quality is. Some companies' low & middle range stuff is far better quality than some other companies' low-middle range offerings.

Dreyamnn68 likes this.
  15. Dreyamnn68

Dreyamnn68 Junior Member

Ok Thanks , from where do you think the High end starts in Navs,Tokais and Grecos ??

16. villager

villager Senior Member

tokai LS 80 greco EG/EGF 85 and higher, all navs post 85, high end is defined by a few things, normally 1 piece back and nitro are the minimum requirements, fret binding is another indication, but you will almost never see a 1 piece back on any fujigen guitar ie grecos and ObGs .. there is a nav 280 model which has poly finish but everything else considered is still pretty high end..

by the way none of the specs above make much difference to the sound... lol..

Dreyamnn68 likes this.
  17. Dreyamnn68

Dreyamnn68 Junior Member

IMG_20171114_194003.jpg IMG_20171114_194003.jpg IMG_20171114_194013.jpg I have this FGN in my house right now.

Have some of your guys experience with a similar FGN and how is it in quality compared to, for example high end Navi, Tokai or Greco

Attached Files:

paruwi likes this.
  18. Dreyamnn68

Dreyamnn68 Junior Member

This one have a one piece back

19. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

What model FGN is that?

20. Dreyamnn68

Dreyamnn68 Junior Member

It's a relic master

paruwi likes this.