Looking for an alternate to my amazing WCR Godwoods set

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by logen99999, Jul 18, 2017.

1. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Hey folks. I have a set of godwoods in one les paul. they are stellar. But I really rather not put the same pickups in all of my les pauls.

Drawing on your folks experiences, what would be a good alternate set to the WCR Godwoods? I'd like something in the low to medium output range, PAF inspired, but that doesn't sound exactly like the WCRs. These would go into a Les Paul Classic.

Would love to hear your opinions.

bulletproof and Wraptail like this.
  2. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

If you like Jim's pickups, you could check out the Bettset (Dickey Betts) or possibly the Crossroads or Darkburst set. For a different flavor, OX4 and ReWind would get my vote for low to medium output PAF clones. Bobby Tyson also winds come crystal clear PAF clones as well.

bulletproof and Wraptail like this.
  3. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

logen99999, I was going to mention 3 great pickups from this (UK) side of the world. The first would be the Haussel 1959 pickups which have more of a 'drier' tone to them. Then, based on your WCR experience, I would recommend looking at Monty's PAf's & then Bare Knuckle Mules. For the US, I would say, Electric City RD59 or Throbak KZ115. But, then also have a look at Jim Rolph who is referred to as 'the guy'

bulletproof likes this.
  4. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

We're fortunate that we have many winders around the globe with plenty of offerings to suit any players needs. A couple of my very favorites are Wolfetone Legends and also Wolfetone's Dr. Vintage set which I think you'll really enjoy. I also have and can recommend Electric City, Wizz, OX4, Sigil, along with Aussie winders Mick Brierley, and Rod McQueen (Sliders).

Happy Hunting!

bulletproof likes this.
  5. bp-plickner

bp-plickner Senior Member

I think The godwood is a higher kohm wind. The Wolfetone Marshall head set might be fairly similar in kohms. Wolfetone's are great sounding PUPS in any wind. For some reason I seem to always end up with Shed PAF Daddy's in my guitars. Until lately when a set of Rolph Pretenders found their way into my R0.
    The choice of humbuckers available today is an embarrassment of riches!

bulletproof likes this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Senior Member

I have had a set of Tom Holmes pickups in my LP for about a month now. I love the tone. My other LP has the Crossroads/Darkburst combo.

7. Rapdog

Rapdog Senior Member

Sigil. Hands down. Have two sets and love them.