Looking for a quiet practicing solution

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Rick, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Rick

Rick Senior Member

So, with a newborn around now looking for a quiet practicing solution. I'm not a big fan of the fizzy sound of a tube amp with the master volume down super low. I currently have a 5150 which is great, but not so great at low volume.

I also have Amplitube and a very beefy PC which allows me to play with no discernable lag. I have to use headphones with it, which is another no go for the newborn even though I love the sound. I need to be able to hear him.

I'm worried about how good some "cheap" active monitors would sound (~$300). I'm worried I'll end up with muddy sounding guitar.

For the same price I could also grab a Boss Katana which I haven't used but have heard lots of good things about.

Should I grab a modeling amp or some active studio monitors? I suppose there's also a 1 watt Marshall DSL but that's sort of a one trick pony and I'm not crazy about the 8" speaker.

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Open ear headphones?

rogue3 likes this.
  3. Rick

Rick Senior Member

Would that sound better than monitors?

4. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

The Yamaha THR-10 series amps are great for quiet practice. They sound great even turned wayyyyyyy down low.

5. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Check out the Blackstar Fly 3. It does not have the best tone (though if you like the Blackstar tone you will love it), but it has by far the best feel of any tiny, low-volume amp out there.

It is the only tiny solid state amp I have played that really feels and reacts like a real tube amp. It is so good that I have used it to learn a number of songs from scratch that I later play on a real rig - all the techniques I develop on the Fly 3 directly translates onto a real tube amp.

It is so small I can pack it in my carry-on luggage for travel. Just a guitar, guitar cable, Fly 3, clip-on tuner and an AUX cable to play my iPhone backing tracks. No pedals needed and I can dial in any tone I need - clean, crunch or full on distortion on the amp. It runs forever on batteries. For just $60, you can't go wrong.

6. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Find a used Marshall Lead 12. Sounds great at low volumes AND has a headphone jack. Not the most versatile amp in the world, but for a couple hundred bucks it's pretty righteous. I love mine.

7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes, no maybe. It would allow for near silent play (to others), but you could still hear the baby monitor, for instance.

bulletproof likes this.
  8. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

Agreed! The Yamaha THR-5 is just as good, and $100 less

bulletproof likes this.
  9. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

This... (You've got a PM)

bulletproof and Duane_the_tub like this.
  10. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

When i first tackled this,i used my Tascam 4 track's mixing section,...a JTM 45 into a Marshall SE 100 speaker emulator on load into one of the mixers inputs.A fine pair of AKG's plugged into the Tascam's headphone jack.Tone heaven.Lots of eq on board to tailor the headphone sound.All night long.Layed down a few tracks for jamming too...lots of uses.Quietly.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

I don't see why the studio monitors wouldn't work for you. The master volume on my Orange OR15 is very good and I get good tones out of it on 7 watt mode at low volumes, that's actually my main use of the amp!

bulletproof likes this.
  12. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

bulletproof likes this.
  13. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Senior Member

Second this. :thumb:

I practice with mine every night. Sits on my desk between the keyboard and monitors. My wife sleeps in the next room with no issues. You can even patch your computer sound into it and blend your guitar with it, in stereo. You can still put all that through headphones too if needed.

Good luck on your search and congratulations on the new Bambino. :applause:

bulletproof and StingyCH like this.
  14. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Yamaha THR-10 do sound really good. And when I got mine I think they had three versions, high-gain, classic, acoustic (something like that). I got the classic version. They have some sort of stereo trick that really gives them an open sound. Studio monitors would work well too, given you have Amplitube. Not sure what is good in that price range though.

bulletproof likes this.
  15. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

Mine is very simple set up.

Hotone Nano Legacy Amp < Korg Pandora PX2 < Guitar

Quiet late night practice right....

bulletproof likes this.
  16. Standard 64

Standard 64 Senior Member

play unplugged or an acoustic

bulletproof likes this.
  17. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I just have to throw this out there....Blackheart Little Giant Head or the Little Ant. Just my 2cents,brother....

18. bucklester

bucklester Senior Member