Looking for a Metal Jack Plate

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by mzblues1, Mar 1, 2018.

1. mzblues1

mzblues1 Member

I don't want a Silver, Chrome, Gold or Black Metal Jack Plate.

Does anyone make a Beige "Plastic Coated" (or might even accept a "painted') Metal Jack Plate for a Les Paul that would match the original part? I haven't been able to find one yet.

I have seen people say to just "put the original Plastic Jack Plate 'over/on top of' one of the metal one's that are available"; but that seems kinda dumb and a 1/2 a_s'd solution that would look really bad IMHO.

I don't see why it would be so hard to make a "Beige Plastic Coated Metal Jack Plate" that would solve the breakage issue and look the correct material & color.

Maybe one of you custom parts companies can consider this as a product as I can almost guarantee it will sell NP...

2. rtTX

rtTX Member

in the spirit of function over form, I typically replace any and all plastic jack plates with a nickel plate at around the time of the first string change.

I've heard of but never tried the "plastic over metal" method. However, given the thinness of the nickel plates (approximately 1/2 the thickness of the plastic ones) I believe one would be hard pressed to spot it if they didn't know it were there. Personally, as this would be the easiest and cheapest I would not reject it out of hand before seeing how it would look (assuming someone doesn't follow-up with a source for inexpensive painted metal ones!).

If price were no object I'd get a few nickel ones and have them professionally powdered coated in beige (or whatever). Most powder coaters near me have a $40 or $50 minimum shop charge but I imagine they'd probably do 1 to 20 at that price.

If I wanted to get out less expensively I'd scuff up a metal plate with some 120 grit sandpaper, prime and paint it with the beige rattle-can spray paint of my choice. Good luck!

3. mzblues1

mzblues1 Member

I hear you.

Maybe we should make a bunch of them and go into business together...LOL

Do you have a metal one (that is the thinnest) that you can recommend?

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Get a metal one and have it powder coated. I have a local place that would do it for super cheap.

5. rtTX

rtTX Member

They probably all start out identically, same same metal and thickness. In the final product I reckon the chrome’s plating likely make it the thickest - with nickel & gold being a few thousandths thinner.

I’d go nickel rather than spend the extra $’s for gold on something destined to power coted or spray painted.

And +1 on FG’s recommendation, the two finishes are in different leagues.

Given the bumps, scrapes and pokes by the tip of an instrument cable that a jack plate is subjected to, a spray painted one would be in frequent needs of a “touch-up” if you’re an OCD type. Whereas a good powder coater’s work can be almost as durable as chrome!

6. mzblues1

mzblues1 Member

FYI: Ended going with all my plastic parts from CreamTone Vintage Design.

Happy with the parts and the service that Lonnie provided.

He even had a vintage jack plate made of Nylon in the correct color, which shouldn't break.

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

If you want to sell any of your old parts, hit me up.

8. mzblues1

mzblues1 Member

I plan to keep all the original stuff in case I ever decide to get rid of or trade this guitar in the future (which I doubt would actually ever happen as I'm loving it so far).

9. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

I've never had one break. Is it a common problem?

10. mzblues1

mzblues1 Member

I'm not gigging much lately; so me neither.

But guys who play a lot of live gigs on this forum have discussed it happening to them (I guess from plugging and unplugging quickly a lot).