Looking for a Good Vintage Dealer in the Midwest

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by jgonway, Oct 30, 2015.

1. jgonway

jgonway Member

I am in Detroit and I am looking to trade in some vintage amps to get my first vintage SG (1961-1965)-- still deciding on a Standard, Special or Junior.

Please let me know your thoughts on some good vintage dealers that I can work with; I will be looking to contact them and then load up the car with some amps to drive there and make a deal.

We have Elderly in Lansing (though their inventory seems relatively low lately); and I know of Mike's Music in Cinci and Chicago Music Exchange.

Anyone have good experience with the above dealers or anyone else that is within 5 hours driving distance of Detroit?

I have conducted some research and feel relatively comfortable with what to look for in authenticity and originality of the guitar-- nevertheless, I still obviously want to deal with someone trustworthy and with fair prices since it is impossible to uncover everything.

Also, is it ok to insist on looking under the hood to inspect pickups, wiring, pots, etc.? Don't get me wrong, I just want a good playing guitar (not sniffing corks here) with some old wood-- but I ain't nobody's fool and don't want to pay for a fully original guitar only to find out it was not.

Lastly, what can I expect for a trade in? For instance, if I have an amp that is worth $3000 hands down, can I expect to get $3000 of trade value toward the price of a guitar or something less than that? I would expect it is probably something less since the dealer has to now inventory that and put it up for sale and work on deal on that amp.

Thanks in advance.