Looking for 1958 Rickenbacker 325 plans

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Marn99, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Member

So as many of you know, my 1959 Gibson Explorer build has kinda slowed down to a bit of a crawl. The cost of exact replica parts and vintage correct plastics, coupled with the rarity of 1 piece limba blanks have greatly extended the timetable for this build. Instead, I thought of something that would be much easier to make for myself in the meantime. I have always loved the beatles, especially John Lennon's Rickenbacker 325. I have been looking for body and headstock tracings, but have found none until I saw LtDave32's thread where he built a 325 from tracings of a real thing, and I would love to do the same. Does anyone have body and headstock tracings of a real 58 Rickenbacker 325?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Why not message him, I'm sure he would help

3. Windir

Windir Member

I have made guitar plans by looking up pictures from web and drawn their outlines. Not perfect but works.

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

This sounds like its going to go down the same direction as the explorer.

Why not just get some generic shapes off the net and enlarge them to size......given this project is to try and get away from the exactness of cloning.

How about stretching whatever artistic talent you possess, and making something a little different. Tweak the shape.....make an existing guitar with a different method.......this is supposedly a doubly creative part of the field - making a guitar to be used for artistic expression.
    Seems a waste just to make another clone.
    DSC00193.JPG DSC00194.JPG
    Here's an idea I had for a carved top glued neck JM with chambered body and all vintage style appointments like pickups and trem type. Nothing around exactly like it to my knowledge.

5. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Junior Member

Damn you! Now you've excited a case of G.A.S. for a 325 in me . . . . . . ..

Though from a quick Ebay searck most are from Japan, Hummm I wonder....
    Counterfit? Why so many from Japan? and Very few in the US?

6. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Here are a few links to some build threads
    http://www.luthiertalk.com/threads/john-lennon-325-inspired-build.1623/
    http://www.luthiertalk.com/threads/rickenbacker-325-inspired-build.518/
    http://www.luthiertalk.com/threads/john-lennon-hamburg-capri-325-build.878/

Also you may want to check out Beat Gear Cavern forum. They are all about vintage Rick's, specifically Beatles ones. Dave is active over there as well. I've built a few Rick style guitars. A couple of 330s, both 6 and twelve strings and am currently working on another 12 string that may turn into a 381 or 660. Here is a link to that forum - http://www.beatgearcavern.com/forum/

Australian Luthiers Supply used to provide drawings for Rickenbackers including that version but a few years back they stopped. I managed to purchase a set of the 360 - 12 string plans and they were quite good. I usually just draw my own though. I did find a CAD file for a lefty 325 that someone had posted. Here is a screen shot -

Capture.JPG

It doesn't look very accurate to my eye but could be a starting point. Good luck. Should me a pm if you want this file.

Cheers Peter.

7. Marn99

Marn99 Member

I PMed him a couple days ago, haven't heard back from him yet unfortunately.

8. Marn99

Marn99 Member

I can see what you mean. I do also make my own designs, but something about building replicas more accurate than the actual company reissues are is something that I find very fun. Also, the explorer build isn't dead by a long shot, its just taking longer than I thought it would :). I recently got the CITES certified Brazilian fingerboard and I am going to be buying a catalin rod to make switch tips from soon, there are several NOS rods on ebay that look very, very, good in terms of color match and I actually can't decide which one is best!

9. Marn99

Marn99 Member

I'll check out that forum, thanks for the link!

10. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

You can buy a catalin Dice/Mah-jong piece off ebay or a domino.

11. Marn99

Marn99 Member

With catalin rod stock, I can get more than one switch tip from one rod, therefore I can get several switch tips from one ebay purchase, and I don't have to destroy an antique to get the catalin ;)

12. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

One Mahjong piece will make 4 tips. People sell them separately so it makes no difference to saving anything...