Looking at a used POD HD500x

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Jymbopalyse, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Semi-local Craigs List add has a POD HD500x listed at a good price. It even comes with the travel case.

I have a question for all you owners of a HD500x . . .

Are there any typical faults or wear points I should look at.
    I/O ports that just crap out (silly example).

The add states "used very little". The picture shows the HD with a small practice amp so I'm betting he "can't get a good sound" out of it and is frustrated with it.

Thanks in advance.

2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

The weakest point on my HD500X is the power supply socket. When the power supply cable is plugged in, if I rotate the plug a little, the unit will power off and reboot.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  3. Jymbopalyse

Thanks tzd, that's precisely the feedback I'm looking for.

I'm kinda psyched about this.

4. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I feel the HD500x is built like a tank and arguably more robust than its Helix big brother. I haven't had any problems with mine (purchased used) but have thought about the power brick as a possible failure point. It puts out a lot of MA, so you really need a spare if you plan to gig with the HD500x. A One Spot or power brick from another pedal won't put out the current to run the HD500x so you can't use one to save a gig.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the value I got on mine a few months back, but I noticed a used one for $250 recently which is $100 less than I paid. If they are going to be commonly available at that price point, the HD500x is a crazy value in my book. Yeah, its not as cool as a Helix, but with some effort to learn the unit, you can dial in very usable tones pretty easily. I'm finding it a great piece of gear for cover tunes.

I think based on tzd's experience I'll start using the strain relief provided on the unit to avoid the jack being damaged if I were to step on or trip over the cord

Edited to add, I always forget to include how I use the HD500x. There are many options, so I'll clarify that my satisfaction with the unit is based on using the unit through PA type speakers. ZLX12P's at my place, or Mackie 15's at the drummers. I've never used the unit as an effects board in front of an amp or attempted to run through a Fx loop. In my reviews of the unit on other threads I've said I feel the "goodness" of the HD500x is mainly the amp/cab/mic models and the effects were less impressive but useable. They (fx) just require a new learning curve. They don't behave much like their analog counterparts but you can get them to do what you want with a bit of tweaking.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Rhust and cybermgk like this.
  5. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

If you are unfamiliar with recording techniques, or have never just a unit like the HD500X, then this is a great read. I really struggled getting good sounds on that unit until I read it.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  6. Jymbopalyse

Thanks guys.

I go check it out tomorrow. :thumb:

Sp8ctre likes this.
  7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Just get it!!!!!!!

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  8. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I indulged myself and stepped up to Helix. I'm glad I did. It's a cool piece, very easy to use and has some great sounds inside.

Truth is, if you don't need a zillion different tones, once you put the effort into getting a few good presets dialed into the HD500X, I just don't see how there can be a better value out there offering more bang for the buck.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  9. Jymbopalyse

Bummer.

The deal fell through. :sadwave:

Craigslist add. He had no takers for over a week. Then I spotted it.
    It's about three cities over and 1.5 hour drive. I told the guy I could come by Sunday, and all seemed well.
    Someone came by with cash on the barrel head Saturday and took it.

I can't supper blame him. I didn't put anything down on it. Just disappointing. At least he let me know before I made the drive.

Many thanks for all the reply's. I think I will still keep my eyes out for another used one. There are usually a few HD300 and HD400 available in my area for super cheap, but I think I want to hold out for the 500x. At the used price point, I think it's a great bargain for the $$$

:hippie:

10. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Late to the race and maybe not a valid point but I am really liking my new 400-HD, it's little brother.

Like you, I found it at a great price used and figured it was a step up from my pod xt pro that I have used for years.

I can't any wheres near afford a Helix so I figured this would at least get me up to the HD class.

Mines built like a tank, and my XT Pro before it still works without issue after 10 plus years of use.

The power plug mentioned is always a weak point for equipment be it laptops, phones or pedals.

Mine has a plastic loop to put the cord through before plugging it in to work as a strain relief.

Has a ton of in outs AND an external effects pedal loop, which I use for my Spark boost! Really cool!

I go direct now through the XLR jacks into the system, and set up a personal monitor off of the 1/4 inch output.

Get a Gator case for it if it doesn't come with one. Mine fits like a glove in it with all cables and the Spark!

Bottom line, I would keep looking!

11. Jymbopalyse

Totally.

I'm not on the never ending QUEST for The Tone. I am however curious with how tone is created.
    How does David Gilmour get his sound. I don't NEED the exacts. Just let me know its some Delay, Compression and EQ (or whatever). With the HD500x I should be able to do more than I could imagine. It will keep me busy for some time.

12. Jymbopalyse

I was considering a 300/400 when the deal fell through. They are super cheap cheap.

But I already have a Zoom G3 so I think my next step up is going to be to a HD500x.

13. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm not sure I agree with that, but I will defer to those who know more. Personally, I wouldn't back away from a steal on a 300 or 400. I'd at least put in some research.

14. Jymbopalyse

It's not that I don't see the value in those models, but I'm going by the FRANKV moto "Buy Once And Be Happy" or something like that.

I've got the Zoom to play with and get my feet wet. With my budget, I don't foresee a Helix or Ax in the near future. A used HD500x could be in the picture though.

frankv likes this.
  15. Jymbopalyse

This is a GREAT read!

Although not a HD500 user (yet) I would consider this essential reading.

16. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Actually, Frank is who I would ask about the 300 & 400

frankv likes this.
  17. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Love this kind of slow blues myself. Here's an Hd300 with a Les Paul for ya.

Jymbopalyse, Donal, KenG and 2 others like this.
  18. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

^^^^my goodness, that's nice!!!!!

19. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

pretty fin awesome my man.

20. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

One more HD300 from a different person. Same M-O. I just dig that bluesy tone.

Jymbopalyse and Pop1655 like this.