Long guitar strap?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by edguidry, Oct 16, 2016.

1. edguidry

edguidry Senior Member

Since I got my firebird, my guitar strap isn't long enough, to sit low enough like I like it. Yes, I'm a low slinger but not ridiculously so.
    Who sells nice long guitar straps that are wide and comfortable?

2. TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2 Senior Member

I have one that I had from the 1980's and being I had the same issue you had in the last 15 years, music stores tend to think everyone is 5' tall with short arms!

I play a Firebird and Explorer as well!

I make my own now to my liking which I usually buy a big piece of soft thick flexible hide so I was able to make about 4 straps which the leather cost me less than $20.

There are several threads on here with the same questions as you have, (you will have to look for the threads), and people posted links of suppliers.

3. edguidry

edguidry Senior Member

Wow, I didn't know there were other discussions of this. Usually you hear "why you want to wear your guitar that low?" LOL. Will search..

4. lostinmusic

lostinmusic Member

5. Thrill

Thrill Senior Member

Im a kinda tall guy, and I also wear my guitar low, and its hard to find a strap long enough to fit proper how I like it. I went through a few straps before I found the one in the link from someone posting it here, and this one is long enough that I actually have to wind it back a little bit for the first time ever lol. Every other strap Ive ever had was always set as low as it could go.

Decent enough strap too.

https://reverb.com/item/1319729-slash-vintage-style-leather-adjustable-guitar-strap-in-dk-brown

6. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I use the Fender straps when I need to go low.

They seem to offer a couple straps longer than everybody else.

I need them long for my t-bird...

7. algs911

algs911 Senior Member

I use a bass strap, padded leather. Expensive, but longer and comfy.

Al

8. Johnnyslim

Johnnyslim Member

I have used numerous straps because I have an over 6' 8" wing span and 6'6" all. Never found a strap even close to what I need. For my ears, I do not like a thick strap. To me, a thick strap tends to attenuate the highs on a guitar. At least on my guitars and to my ears I hear the effect.

The most transparent strap I have ever used is the $19 Fender vintage skinny straps. Still not long enough so I have to buy two and use the two longer pieces. My strap is usually 65" or 66" between the strap button holes. Works like champ!

9. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

Alrighty then.....

10. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

I love woven straps lately - I can hardly feel the straps on at all - if I tend to rock-out a little crazy it acts like a shock absorber!

https://www.etsy.com/market/woven_guitar_strap

I've tried every type of padded - nylon - fender - padded - hendrix inspired hippy strap there is but none compare [imo]

Good luck ps: if you ever visit South Australia go to Handorf on the weekend - there is a leather maker there who will make almost anything you want....
    https://www.facebook.com/Hahndorf-Leathersmith-and-Bush-Gallery-134109899944769/

11. NativH

NativH Premium Member

Try Levy's Leather. They have tons of options and make some longer than normal straps. Their XL option adds 12" to the length, which augtta do you. If you can't find something with them, you want a real one off for sure.
    http://www.levysleathers.com/

12. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

I used to buy two long leather belts at the store and cut the buckle off one, then string that one's adjustment end through the other one's buckle and lock it in place - that made a really long strap. Then, you just cut the ends flat, real a hole with a leather punch and install strap locks. Many times this is less expensive than paying full price for an actual guitar strap. :yesway:

13. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

I came across one of their straps at GC this past weekend. I've been looking for a longer strap and as I was walking towards the rack they have them on I noted on hanging all the way to the floor and across it for a couple inches... NEVER seen one there that long. It was adjusted to it's max length as I found it.

MPS2-095 is the model number. Only one they had in the store, priced at $20.

This is it here on their site; http://www.levysleathers.com/shop/sub-printed-sonic-art-strap-mps2-095/

I'm 6'3", and when I grabbed an Epi LP off the wall to see how long it was, it hung low...below belt low. It went home with me. Actually had to adjust it shorter when I got home.

Have one in my Amazon cart waiting for me to finish puttting together an order...

Good stuff. :thumb:

14. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

Tone has always been in the strap.

15. captainbraindamage

captainbraindamage V.I.P. Member

I'm 6'4" and usually even when I order a custom strap the main body of the strap is the same and they just send a longer tail piece. Looks tacky to me. This guy made one that the body is alot longer, short tail piece, very nice. Not cheap, but nice work.

http://www.carlinoguitars.com

16. lostinmusic

lostinmusic Member

Honestly check out Couch straps. I have a couple of their regular straps here - 'none more black' and 'racer x' - and out of curiosity I extended them to full length.. 65" between the holes. I'm nothing to do with them but they have that old fashioned buckle thing with loads of extra strap to pull through if you want it.

17. rockgod212

rockgod212 Senior Member

I just buy the strap I want for the top half and then go to walmart and buy a belt- cut the end off and adjust accordingly.

18. geddy

geddy Senior Member

Dunlop black woven. Available in 2 lengths