London in the 60s & 70s

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Bramley, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Bramley

Bramley Junior Member

There's been so much misinformation written on line about what happened in Denmark Street back then , this FB page clears a lot of it up. Top Gear music was the first shop on the street during the "golden era" and was a hub for major players of the day. For those who were around back then please post any pics/ stories you may have .

https://www.facebook.com/Top-Gear-Music-London-289183784906634/

sixlicks likes this.
  2. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

What sort of misinformation? And I think Macari's was the first guitar shop on Denmark Street? When I worked there most of Denmark Street was still music publishers.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Thermionik and Jumping@shadows like this.
  3. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

I'd dispute that Top Gear headed the "Golden era". That era was a decade before before Top Gear appeared on the scene. But that's just my opinion!

Thermionik likes this.
  4. Bramley

Bramley Junior Member

Beat instrumental ad launching TG early 1969 . I guess I was referring to the golden era of British rock , the customers and guitar inventory certainly reflected that more than the Shaftesbury Ave shops who's heyday was early-mid sixties.

Next shop to open was Rhodes across the street owned by Cliff Cooper of Orange and run by his girlfriend.

Macaris was on Charing Cross road at that point, we used to ride home in the train with Larry.

My point about misinformation is that most of the recent news stories on the the history of the street feature pictures and info post the Wunjo/Andy/regent Sounds era while the " famous" names bandied about were in fact Top Gear customers.

Early ad.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

I think most shops had their share of "Famous" names. Macari's could always name drop Hendrix after all. That's pretty up there! But the crown for name dropping should surely go to Selmers?

RAG7890 and Thermionik like this.
  6. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

7. chipper

chipper Senior Member

The ‘Tone Bender’ ad looks like it’s from the 1960’s, but what’s with the web address up the left hand side.

Side Burns likes this.
  8. chasenblues

Its from a site about the history/evolution of the ToneBender.

9. Jumping@shadows

Jumping@shadows V.I.P. Member

Having worked on Denmark St for some years and been in and out of all these premises countless times, it’s cool to see it pictured and discussed :)

RAG7890, Thermionik and Cookie-boy like this.
  10. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

When the Coloursound range was launched I was told to clear the first floor of the above building of all the old Solarsound bodies, and innards plus Tone Benders and just about everything else that had come before. It all went in a skip and was considered obsolete. The ceiling had fallen in and covered the place with broken asbestos tiles which I had to kick out of the way to get to all the gear. Can't beieve I'm still alive!

11. Thermionik

Thermionik Senior Member

I used to do odd repair jobs at Rod Argen't shop, my pal Pete and a guy called "Screwdriver" were the mainstays. And I used to lean over Seymour Duncan's shoulder in the Fender place to try and see what he was doing inside Jeff's guitars, and went to a couple of gigs SD played too. @Cookie-boy speaks the truth...

12. Bramley

Bramley Junior Member

Absolutely the intention and hopefully those who were around then will continue posting info, it's all valuable .

Cookie Boy is correct, Macaris was at #22 . After they moved to Charing Cross Rd (1967?) Rotosound opened their " Image" showroom at #22 mainly showcasing gear like lighting , amps and PAs . When Rotosound closed Cliff Cooper opened Rhodes Music at #22 with similar inventory. I would be more correct in saying Top Gear was the first guitar shop on the street dedicated primarily to used American guitars.( They weren't vintage then !) Top Gear and Rhodes were still the only shops on the street at that point.

Thermionik do you remember Ron Roka? He was the electronics repair guy out back of Top Gear who moved to Fender Soundhouse where he employed Seymour and later took over the Top Gear space as Roka's. Ron always had a camera , he's retired in Devon & sadly we've lost touch.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Thermionik likes this.
  13. Thermionik

Thermionik Senior Member

I have a vague recollection of a bloke called Roka (thought it was "Rocker" for ages...) who had just about every guitar part known to man. If you nattered to the right blokes, there were interesting guitars around back then, but they rarely made it in to the front of the shops... Having said that - I can not remember much more than broad brush strokes and tiny nuggets. We got tips like carrier bags full of weed, or little placcy bags of snow from various musos - between them and the bloody boozer along to the west end of the alley it is tough to remember much at all sometimes :cool2:

Jumping@shadows likes this.
  14. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

I've been trying to remember the guy who would call round and mend amps in the shop. Mainly Vox. Miserable sod!

Thermionik likes this.
  15. Thermionik

Thermionik Senior Member

No darling, 'twasn't me :applause:
    'ere, Cookie - do you have a copy of that picture of you with a daff up yer jacksie? Was trying to explain it to some of the whippersnappers here, couldn't bloody find it anywhere...

16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:hmm:..............so what you're telling us is that you're all a bunch of old bastards. :rofl: :rofl: :p :D

On a serious note, it would have been very cool to live in & through this era of British Music.

:cheers2:

Thermionik and Bramley like this.
  17. Bramley

Bramley Junior Member

Amazing . That backs up designer Gary Hurst's recollection of coming back to work after some time off and everything had changed drastically at 100 Charing Cross Rd.

The stuff that got tipped back then makes me cringe now. In the courtyard behind the Badfinger rehearsal room at #6 was a rough lean to covering a pile of tattered Vox gear which Pete Ham confirmed was Beatle "hand me down" stuff. One morning we saw it all being thrown in a skip, I grabbed a Vox Long Tom echo, Ron Roka's assistant Matt Grant grabbed an AC30, the rest went off to land fill.

18. chasenblues

I got in trouble for re-posting that pic here after the forum shifted to being more family friendly a few yrs ago..

:laugh2:

Thermionik likes this.
  19. Thermionik

Thermionik Senior Member

That could explain things...

@Cookie-boy's ass is NSFW on so very many levels.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  20. Barker

Barker Senior Member

Nothing to really add.. just wanted to say this is a cool thread.... :yesway:

Bramley and Thermionik like this.