Line6 Pocket Pod

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Alan, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Alan

Alan Senior Member

A thread at another forum got me interested in the new Line6 Pocket Pod, so I picked one up today at GC. Didn't read the manual, of course, but after about 30 minutes of playing with it..going through pre-sets (which always suck)...turning dials...tweaking settings...here's the bottom line:

If you can't find SOMETHING in that little thing to satisfy those late-night jam sessions while everyone is asleep...then there's something wrong with you. Should be sounds packed in there to satisfy most musical appetites.

It is what it is. It's not going to replace 30 year old "vintage" equipment or your favorite boutique tube amp (like that Carr Mercury I've got my eye on). It's a plug-n-play practice doohickey that lets you fiddle fart around with different sounds for quiet sessions. (For that matter, hook the darn thing up to a Tech21 Power Engine or Atomic Amp and make your neighbors angry!)

I ran both my LP Classic Goldtop and Fender Strat with Van Zandt pups through it. Niiiiice!

I didn't skimp on cheap headphones, either. I tested the small red kidney using a set of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones.

As usual, a lot of the pre-sets suck (but that's probably due to my taste in music and not a reflection of the product itself) and everyone will have their own opinion about them...but I found several to play with and dialed in something workable in just a few minutes time. Didn't spend too long with it, but there were many patches I want to go back and play with. Many of them will be good foundations from which to build something unique.

YMMV

2. Alan

Alan Senior Member

Follow-up:

This device burns through batteries in a hurry! I just got the darned thing the other day and I've already depleated my first set after roughly 6 hours of non-continuous use.

Overall, it's pretty decent. I've been able to tweak a few patches that I really like for my Strat and a couple for my new LP.