Line 6 XT or X3 Live users.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by PINKBITS, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Davey Rockets

Davey Rockets Senior Member

I tried a Pod xt Live, wasn't super thrilled, but it seemed a good piece of gear. (I already have a Digi GNX3000 that I use a ton)

Recording though, I do use the Pod Farm.. I LUVVV the tones I can get.

You can hear some bluesy type stuff recorded with pod farm at www.myspace.com/4pie - "Pour Me".. recorded with Elitist Les Paul and Pod Farm.

2. b-squared

b-squared Banned

It's all in the patch.

The Lincoln Brewster patches are a fantastic starting point. :D

BB

3. River

River Senior Member

Yes, yes, they are. I don't tweak them at all - just dial the amp controls up and down depending on the song. BB, I owe you a debt of gratitude for turning me on to them. They were the secret to my "POD bliss".

And they were "designed" for a Strat, IIRC, and I don't even know how to spell "Strat".

4. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I had a bit of a muck around on the weekend running the x3 in the effects return of my Laney GH50L and adjusting the patches via Gearbox. Getting some nice cleans but am having trouble getting a spot on mid to high gain tones.

They are coming out a little muffled.

I tried changed the cab simulations and eq and getting close but not quite.

Main amp sims I have mucked around with are the Plexi varic'd and the Solando.

Any suggestions/tips?

5. b-squared

b-squared Banned

No probs, man--they did the trick on me as well. I was ready to get rid of mine until I downloaded those patches.

My LP sounds HUGE, and my Strat sounds like a 900-lb. violin. :D

BB

6. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

Were there any patches in particular that did the trick for you? I had a go and the ones I've tried so far with my Agiles didn't really do it for me :hmm:

7. River

River Senior Member

Moving the microphone in front of the amp around has quite a bit of effect.

8. River

River Senior Member

I use only the Variac'd Plexi and Bassman patches. I copied the Plexi just to have one sitting on low voltage and the other on high. I play my Jr. through the high-voltage Plexi and my humbuckers through the Bassman or low-voltage Plexi, almost without exception. If I want super-clean (rare), I play the Jr. through the Bassman with the drive on 2 or 3.

9. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Thank you River. My main problem at the moment is that even when I find time, I'm also pushed for it.

10. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

Thanks, I'll give that a go :thumb:

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Senior Member

Do you have to have a variax guitar to be able to use lincon brewsters patches? and does he have any for pod xt live? cos the ones i downloaded said they where not compatible.

12. River

River Senior Member

a) No. b) That's strange - I loaded them into my X3 Live with no difficulties.

13. b-squared

b-squared Banned

14. River

River Senior Member

15. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Ya, he has files for both, but for some reason the X3 files don't unzip properly.

BB

16. will c

will c Senior Member

Hey guys. Try opening Monkey and doing a restore with the file that you download for the X3.

WARNING!!!! This will overwrite all of your tones so back them up first or pull the ones you use most frequently to your desktop via Gearbox. When you load Linc's patches, you can then click and drag your patches back into Gearbox into the remaining empty slots. Tedious, but does the trick.

Will

17. will c

will c Senior Member

Try putting a patch cable into your FX send and let the other end hang free. I had to do this with my Mesa F-30 and it's a world of difference. Also, double check your output settings on your POD and that they're set to the appropriate one (Power Amp in, either combo or stack).

Will

18. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Thanks Will, I'll give that a try.

I also tried running plugging into the slave in of my laney GH50L too. Seems to work a little better.

I've been making sure that the 1/4" outputs is set to stack power amp too. This makes a big difference.

The x3 also seems to work better with my 4x12 Celestion v30 loaded cab than the 2x12 Celestion G12H'S.

It's a slow process for me, mainly due to available time. However I am really enjoying it. I love gearbox.

19. ptgold

ptgold Senior Member

Those are some cool patches!

Im loving the Variac. In all the time Ive had the Pod Ive rarely ever strayed from the Soldano patch for pretty much everything except cleans.

20. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I had a bit of time with the x3 on the weekend and slowly but surely I am starting to dial it in.

Running in the slave in of my Laney GH50L certainly seems to be the way to go. The big 6L6 powers seems to handle the x3 signel better than the el84's in my Lionheart.

One thing I have noticed is that it prefers my 01 Standard with the lower output buckers. When I mucked around with it on the weekend it sounded much more open and clear.

Anyone finding they seems to prefer lower output pickups?