Line 6 XT or X3 Live users.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by PINKBITS, Sep 7, 2009.

1. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I got the X3 Live over the weekend and my first impression is that it's a fantastic piece of gear.

Although I have a hell of a lot to learn about the unit, I have downloaded a few custom patches and found them very good.

High gains are great, cleans too. Although they need some tweaking to my personal taste you can hear the potential.

I must say I have only tried running the unit in front of a clean tube amp so far. I plan on plugging it into the effects return this afternoon which I am sure will improve it again.

I know there is plenty of info on the x3 and xt live via the Line 6 Website but there are a few users here and thought it might be good to try and compile a bit of info on the x3 or xt in one thread on MLP.

So, if you have anything you think might be useful, anything at all, post those ideas/findings here. Whether it be recording, use with a PA, plugged into a tube amp, settings etc.

:thumb:

2. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Cool! I'll be watching as this is likely my next piece of gear as well.

3. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I am hoping we get some good info posted :thumb:.

There are some smart cookies on MLP that will hopefully teach technically challanged persons such as myself a thing or two. :cool:

4. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Yeah, these computers with hidden menus have never been the darling of us neanderthal guitar types!:D
    We like discrete buttons and switches for everything. The more menu driven, the less I like things, that's for sure.

5. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I purchased an X3 Live on Craig's List...should get it this week. :D

The examples I've heard on the Line6 site sound pretty incredible...being able to run two patches at once, in stereo...wow. I run in stereo at church now...should add a new dimension to our sound.

This thread will be a great place to post our best patches. :D

BB

6. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Agreed. :thumb:

Also, maybe some recordings :hmm: :cool:

7. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Looking forward to it. BB you have posted some of your other material with the Lincoln Brewster patches and made me a fan of both of you guys!

I know we all love our tubes, but these newer Line Six beasties are insane when amplified or recorded correctly.

Good times ahead for sure.:fingersx::fingersx::)

8. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

9. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

I have heard some great tone from these! looking forward to hearing some more reports.

10. b-squared

b-squared Banned

11. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Pleasure, I just found it interesting. Actually thought you would have it already.

You'll have to send me a couple of patches B. :thumb:

12. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

I use an XT Live and spent a long time thinking that it was 'just ok'. Then I started really tweaking settings and brought it to life. For other XT users I'd say the model packs are essential (Line6 do some pretty good deals on them throughout the year if you can be patient).

But the BIGGEST piece of advice I can offer is this: make sure you've got Post-EQ in your effects chain. I had been downloading and tweaking some of the settings from other users' tones and just assumed the EQ was taken care of - more often than not though, it wasn't. Once I did went in and fiddled with this, the unit came alive - literally a 100% improvement in my sounds.

And if you're interested, ALL of the guitars (and some of the bass) in the songs on my Soundclick page in my sig were recorded through an XT Live :)

13. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Are you running your XT through a tube amp or PA?

14. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

I either record direct or through a JC120 which is mic'd live. Of the songs on my page, there's only two live ('Live And Let Die' and 'Free'). Everything else is the XT Live straight into Cubase

15. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Just listened to your take on "pretty woman" :applause:

16. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

Thanks - I know I can nail the sound better if I put my mind to it - that was really just to test my (then) new pup a few months back. Thanks for the :applause: - it's much appreciated!

17. River

River Senior Member

+1. I haven't messed with the post-EQ much myself, but in looking closely at the Lincoln Brewster patches, those settings appear to be his secret. I can twiddle the amp EQ settings all over the place (and back) and switch all of the "pedals" in and out depending on the song/mood I'm in and which guitar I'm playing, and they still sound better than anything I ever came up with.

He does some very deliberate and sometimes severe things with the EQ that make all the difference.

18. b-squared

b-squared Banned

It's nice when you have a recording studio at your desk at work, and can twiddle with this stuff all day. :D

I heard that he had access to Line6's amps as well, to tweak his tones.

BB

19. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Any of you guys use Line 6 Edit, Gear Box or POD Farm?

20. b-squared

b-squared Banned

For my xtLive I use Gearbox...in coordination with their Line6 Monkey software.