Line 6 Spider Valve

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by NeubyWanKaneuby, Aug 10, 2008.

1. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I went to guitar center today to look for an LP. Played a standard, a classic and another model that I can't remember, through the Line 6 Spider valve half stack... pretty good amp.

I was impressed with the tone, and might actually buy one. It was a lot better to actually play one than hear the tones they have on their site.

I didn't mess with the effects on it too much, but I don't really use onboard effects with the amp I have now, so that's not a showstopper. I recommend checking one out if you ever get the chance.

PS Just in case you're wondering, I didn't find the LP I was looking for, so I went home empty handed. Maybe next time.

2. captainbraindamage

captainbraindamage V.I.P. Member

I just bought the Spider Jam a couple of weeks ago. I like it, I don't use the effects much either. My practise amp died and I thought this would be fun to play with the backing tracks. It serves that purpose. I think with the Line 6 stuff it depends on what you get. Some of it sucks and somes ok. I am going to have my daughter bring my cube 30 back and A & B them tone wise, just out of curiosity. But I think it sounds good and would suggest to anyone to try one out in a store and see what they think.

3. Ayy Itss Daveee

Ayy Itss Daveee Senior Member

I don't understand the mechanics of these things entirely... My friend just got one I was playing around with it for a bit...

They're full tube amps, with a modeler in front of the tube circuit...

So you're getting your distortion from the modeler then the digitally distorted signal passes through the tubes, so you're not getting your distortion from the tubes themselves... Then what's the point of having the tubes at all? To kind of "dumb down" the "digitalness" of the amp?

4. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

I tried probably the same one last year when I wanted to make the jump to tube amps. It was definitely an improvement over straight modeling, but still no comparison to a regular tube amp. If I absolutely needed amp modeling, I'd just use an external preamp modeler, because I feel like it's more useful to have your effects seperate from the amp.

I just like it simple I guess.

5. >Photi G<

>Photi G< Senior Member

The difference in tone between hybrid modelers and full SS modelers is marginal. And unless you're gonna be playing a stadium, a halfstack is overkill. If you like it, get the Spider Valve combo, or a Peavey Vypyr 60. IMO, Peavey did a much better job at the modeling thing, while being much more user friendly, and versatile.

6. River

River Senior Member

The point is: to sound good. :dude:

How many people get to drive the power valves into distortion during normal playing? Precious few. The high-end modeling people, Fractal (Axe-Fx) teamed with Atomic amps for the same reason. Check out their web site. I believe they even have an amp that has a built-in bay for a Line 6 POD.

To hear Splattle101 and other experts here tell it, the result is a very-well-simulated overdriven power valve "tone", amplified to the necessary volume with tube "warmth". Plus, you get the smell of hot tubes we all crave. :)