Line 6 Spider, Raven, Peavey

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Belzeebub, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Belzeebub

Belzeebub V.I.P. Member

I am aware that there isn't much love around here for solid state amplifiers. But for those who can share their experiences, i would appreciate it much. Im starting to look for an amp I can haul with me on the road for gigs in halls, clubs, or parties. I know nothing beats a tube amp but I just prefer not to deal with blown tubes, rebiasing,etc. I intend the amp to be cheap, loud (100w onwards), decent sounding (warm not treble-ly and cold), and pretty much plug and play (which hints at combos instead of half stacks/full). Ive been looking around the net and Im curious about the following amplifiers:

* Peavey
    * Raven
    * Line 6 Spider 3 series
    * others?

I currently have a SS Marshall MG50DFX and for what it is, the sound is fine with me for home practice but its hard cutting through the mix with a full band. I have had experience with a Fender ss years ago and it was harsh on my ears. It was punchy and full of treble despite me messing with the EQ to the best of my abilities. The fender amp sounded much more suited to country-style, blue grass type of music which I am not really into.

I really like the sound of the Marshall but I am looking for more affordable alternatives.

2. EtriX

EtriX Senior Member

I really love the spider 3 series. sure the flextone is bigger and has even more effects but it's such a versitile practise amp

3. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Tech21 Trademark 60 is unbelievable.
    For more muscle, vaporize anything with any of these Randall RG Valve Dynamic hybrids.........
    Randall G3Plus Series Combo Amplifiers
    I wish I didn't trade my RG100 away last year. That was one serious MOFO!!!!!! 2x12" combo with hybrid power (only has one 12At7? tube that you will most likely NEVER have to worry about), footswitchable channels, reverb, etc., spring reverb, chorus, and 140 watts!!!!!!! Dude, this amp can and will give heart attacks. Check em out!! Randall=Badass=Rock!!!

4. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Ha....You know, I actually like solid state amps. They're tough, they're cheap, and they can crank out tons of volume.

Only problem? The distortion sucks on these amps. Period.

But, it's not a complete loss. I'd seriously look into a Line6 amp modeler. If anything, you could dial in a bunch of clean settings of other amps, and then get a good distortion effect with an external pedal. Other than this one quirk, I'm pretty happy with my Line6 210.

But....BUT...

If you want a really, really KILLER solid state amp at a good price? Roland Cube 60. A lot of volume, very portable, and if you need to spread your sound out it's got an 8 ohm speaker jack that when engaged pushes volume through both the amp and external speakers. (Also uses Boss footswitches which are nice, and unlike a lot of other solid states, I haven't had any desire to get additional pedals since the settings are just amazing on this amp.)