Line 6 Spider IV 30 personal tone issue.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Jayson201, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Jayson201

Jayson201 Senior Member

If my dad had bought me a Marshall like I asked, I wouldn't be bugging you guys about this piece of sheise I have now :3

Anyways, I have this dinky little line 6 (Which almost dented the hell out of my dads truck) and I can't seem to dial in any decent tones. There are 100s and 100s of combinations, over 100 presets I can find online and dial in.....
    For those of you who know their way around this amp, I can only get tones I like from the red Twang channel, both clean channels, and the red Metal Channel. (I really have no use for anything more than that channel)

I've been trying to get a decent overdrive sound out of it (Which is what the Crunch channels should be for...) but I can't seem to find one...
    I dunno how to describe it, everything I dial in sounds too...muffled? I can't think of the right word.

I've used my guitar (An Epiphone Les Paul 2nd, don't hate.) on my friends Marshall VS65r, and I love the tone it gave me, clean and OD(Some people don't like the valvestate models...)

If anybody understands my noobish nonsense, Any help would be appreciated....

2. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

try a fender vibro champ.fairly cheap,decent tone,and not as many presets,but they are all useful tonewise.its only 5 watts,but pretty loud for a small tube amp.

3. Jayson201

Jayson201 Senior Member

I tried one out a little while after my dad bought me this piece of crap, but it's too late now D;

4. River

River Senior Member

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Get up on the Line6 forums with your question (you'll get nothing but "buy a different amp" crap here).

Our esteemed moderator b-squared turned me on to Line 6 settings developed by Lincoln Brewster. I downloaded them, examined what he was doing, and had patches to die for in just a couple of days.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome. If you can play, the tones you seek are right there. If you can't, a "Marshall" (some of which are shit) wouldn't help.

nutsauce and shiplett77 like this.
  5. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Dude, I wouldn't be calling a gift from your dad a POS. I could only wish my dad had shown an interest in my hobby or god forbid buy me a amp as a gift.

He still thinks my hobby is "a waste of money" so yeah I would be a little more appreciated of the gift from your dad. Some of us aren't so lucky.

Getting back to point, the spider series amps are pretty good amps for home use I find. My first amp was a spider II 30watter which was pretty primitive compared to the current spider IV.

I'm surprised you said you can't get a good overdrive sound out of it. Have you tried the Hi Gain "red" setting? I got some nice tones out of when I tried it at the store for another friend's kid when he was deciding on which amp to get.

Try the hi gain setting and start twisting some knobs.

Also if your bent on getting a valvestate it's pretty easy to find them on the used market at decent prices.

HRC and SelLuap like this.
  6. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Senior Member

Do what River says, those Brewster presets are nice. Essentially, all the factory presets are full of effects and mumbo-jumbo, what you'll see is Lincoln's patches are much more stripped down, and EQ'd for a more natural mid-range.

I gigged with a X3 Live for awhile in one project, it took awhile but I was able to get some nice tones out of it.

Do use the Line 6 community, I relied on them to get me up and running.

7. GuitarToneFreak

GuitarToneFreak Senior Member

I'm sorry, but that first sentence really makes you sound like a spoiled brat, it really does.

I'm lucky enough to have parents that, while they don't necessarily understand my obsession over it, support and understand my guitar addiction - it sounds like you're one of the lucky ones as well; many aren't. Instead of bitching about your dad not getting you a Marshall, hows about you be appreciative that you for one have a Father, and that he supports your hobby.

As for the Line 6 issue I can't help you, good luck.

8. Jayson201

Jayson201 Senior Member

I am a bit of a spoiled brat, aren't I?

Anyways, The "Hi Gain" setting and the downloading of presets that people made are reserved for the 75 watt and above models....
    To think my dad told me he would have gotten me the 75 ;/
    I feel like an asshole now XD
    You're all right, my dad can be a really cool dude a lot of times, he's annoying but I've realized more and more lately how awesome he is compared to last generations parents.

I tried saving him 100 bucks and found the same model Valvestate my friend has on Craigslist, and he didn't wanna go for it ;/

To the Line 6 forums I go!!!

9. GuitarToneFreak

GuitarToneFreak Senior Member

It's all good man, those Dads are really cool dudes - it's cool that yours does take an interest in your hobby.

Good luck with your search man :dude:

10. Coltsbleedblue

Coltsbleedblue Senior Member

Best thing to do is stop lookin for evrybody elses answer, choose a preset, change it up a little, adjust every knob if you have to and just because you have a marshall dont make you a good guitar player. Take that line 6 and milk it for what its worth.

11. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Exactly which model of amp do you have? I see it's a Line 6, but the model is kind of important. :D

I play with an X3Live almost every Sunday, and get some great tones out of it. I've used it for both small and HUGE venues as well. As mentioned above--don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Be patient, be willing to tweak it a bit--you'll find something you'll like.

BB

12. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

some good advice about your dad.mine died about 30 years ago,but i still remember all the tiime we spent fishing and playing baseball.time spent with the old man is worth more than any boutique amp,and youll remember it longer.

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Senior Member

My dad said "You can get any amp you want. Here's the Help Wanted section of the newspaper."

14. Batman

Batman Senior Member

I haven't used the Spider IV 30, but I have both the Spider III 15 and 75.

The best tones I found on my 75 were the Red Metal channel (Based on the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier) and the Red Twang channel (based on mid 60’s Fender amps). I did not like any of the presets; I created my own.

With the Red metal channel I would turn the drive (gain) back to give me a nice overdrive sound, turn on a little reverb then set the Bass Middle and Treble to taste. For the Red Twang, I would set a good clean sound with a little reverb then use a TS9 for my overdrive.

Hope that helps.

15. HRC

HRC Senior Member

Maybe you should go out and get yourself a job... :io:

16. rjudo

rjudo Senior Member

^^^^
    Yeah, that.

17. thexmadxtopxhatter

thexmadxtopxhatter Senior Member

Here's an idea kid... actually save up your money by working hard instead of getting things handed to you and complaining about them

18. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

Like pretty much every digital modeler/fx device (multi-fx units, modeling amps, whatever), the factory presets are, in the majority, useless. Definitely utilize the online community, but spend some time (there is a definite learning curve involved in eking out good tones from digi stuff) playing with every different option/parameter offered you, both singly and in combo with other options). Do the research, invest the time, you should be able to eventually find what you want to hear coming from the speaker.....unfortunately, it takes time....It's taken a while, but have been able to coax some great tones from my Digitech multi-fx unit - I use few of the "over-the-top factory presets, and have found some I like that I've downloaded from the Digitech "community" .....just dedicate some time and experiment - you may come up with something you never imagined and have the tone blow you away. Unfortunately, "plug'n'play" isn't the best way with these things, ya gotta adjust them to YOUR guitars/amps/surroundings/ears/what have you....

I'd be hesitant to rely on modeling if I was a touring pro, but for this amateur (that would be me), there's some pretty convincing sounding stuff on the market these days. Just play around with it ....to quote the late Mick Ronson, ...."Play, don't worry...." :cool: