line 6 relay g10 wireless system Power mod

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by OHIOSTEVE, Sep 29, 2017.

1. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Do any of you guys own one of these. I have 2 of them and absolutely love it. OTHER THAN The charging port. They use a mini USB like a cell phone and they are having all kinds of issues with them breaking. Mine are still intact but I am having them retro fitted with a 9 volt adapter. If any of you have them and want to know how to do this mod, ( mine are not done yet waiting on parts) it costs about 2 bucks to do and if you can do basic SMALL soldering it looks to be easy as pie. Let me know and I can send you info.

2. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

Mine is mounted to my pedal board so I do not have to plug/unplug the usb... I have had mine almost a year with no issues whatsoever. Great unit

3. meatball

meatball Senior Member

When I was going to purchase one , It came down to the Line 6 and the Shure . I went with the Shure because I have had my SM58 for almost 16 years ,,, quality is everything when you are on a stage and it doesnt go out on you ,,,

RustyNuts, SteveC and Malikon like this.
  4. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

how do you power it on the board? This mod would let you just use regular 9 volt power in a daisy chain. I am doing it to mine as a preventative measure. this mod lets the USB still be used to do updates etc...

5. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

so far I have had issue with it once , the USB cable was not good.. I like the fact it is just a plug and play, no body pack nothing...just a small transmitter a bit bigger then your thumb. The power supply however is a really bad idea.

6. madmusicltd

I use the supplied cable with a smaller charger and plug into a prewired outlet under the board.

OHIOSTEVE likes this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Yea... I'm not a Line-6 fan, either. If it's working for Steve, great! But, I would never trust my gig to Line-6 anything. It's not "if" it will go tits-up, it's WHEN.

I use the Shure GLX-D - it's flawless. Been gigging with it for years.

meatball likes this.
  8. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

you may be right but I am happy with it so far.. even with modding it.

SteveC likes this.
  9. fry

fry Senior Member

My buddy recently from Shure to Line 6 wireless. He says it's awesome. I was under the impression that Line 6 had made a big splash in wireless technology. I know people find the lower end modeling amps kinda cheesy, but I think Line 6 has a good reputation for reliability, is that wrong?

10. madmusicltd

I've had a POD 2.0 and foot board going direct that I still use in my solo rig no issues at even the floor board, not sure about the amps though?

11. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

no body pack, no wires really..... a base that is also the charger for the transmitter. the transmitter plugs into the guitar . literally not much bigger than your thumb. AGAIN the ONLY drawback I see is the charging port being weak. This mod ( again probably 2 bucks in parts MAYBE) fixes that. HOWEVER I cannot use my battery pack to run it now lol.

12. meatball

meatball Senior Member

Actually I used your recommendation to seal my decision ,,,

SteveC likes this.
  13. SteveC

I understand, Steve. I hope that it gives you years & years of good use.

14. SteveC

And, Mal was the one who helped me make my decision. I was actually looking at higher-end units. :)

meatball likes this.
  15. meatball

meatball Senior Member

Thanks to Mal and Steve

16. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

my other parts came in today... I had to try the mod myself even though I had an electronics whiz lined up to do it for me... was a piece of cake. mine does not look as pretty as some I have seen but I made good solders and there is nothing to move around now so everything should stay good.. I can still use the USB to do updates and power it with a 9 Volt wall wort.

17. BACzero

BACzero Senior Member

Wife surprised me with one of these last Christmas. Been using it ever since with no problems. Love mine, too! :thumbs: I thought the micro USB was an odd choice for powering the charging dock, but I've just been very careful with it. I've been an Electronics Technician for about 22 years now, so I'm pretty sure I could pull the mod off without any problems... I've probably even got all the parts to do it, already... but as of yet, I haven't bothered because I haven't had any issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it kinda mentality, I suppose. ;)

18. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

The issue is if you wait until it dies break it is nearly impossible to fix. You can still do this mod after the fact but the usb will not work for updates etc. I am a ham fisted idiot when it comes this stuff but I made it work...for now lol... the parts are like a dollar maybe a dollar fifty.... if I had a really small soldering iron.. I mean tiny...bit would have been even easier..... if you are interested I can post what you need to do and the parts.

19. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

you need one of these
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=311395186080

and one of these

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=311751738289

you will also need a USB cable to do it the way I did, which I think is much easier.

drill a small hole just big enough to fit the jack, and mount it... the long lug is +....solder your hot wire and ground to the jack then solder to the + and - on the converter

[​IMG]

here is where I did it differently. cut the USB cable and toss the micro end. strip the cover and expose the 4 wires inside. the green and white are useless they are for data. you want the red and black. red is + and black is - ..... Inside the unit is a small transformer with 2 tiny solder point clearly marked + and - ..
    [​IMG] the transformer is the round silver thing in the upper left. this pic was sent to me to show me how to take the unit apart.. you have to take it completely apart to do this. again extremely simple.

solder the red wire of the USB to the + on the transformer and the black to the -. plug the USB into the converter and secure it inside with 2 sided foam tape. put it all back together. now you can use either the 9 volt or the usb.

BACzero and penguinchit like this.
  20. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

I sure hope you screwed up this prediction big time :laugh2:

Greetings from a happy Helix and StageSource user :D