Line 6 Helix 2204 Mod Appreciation post

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Dineley, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Dineley

Dineley Senior Member

Just that stock amp with a noise gate, is like the perfect patch, obviously I have created many other more finely tuned presets, however I just throw that 2204 Mod model on and I can jam all night long, no tweaking needed.

frankv, Rhust and Rocco Crocco like this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Awesome. What's your secret? That model drives me up the wall because I HAD a modified JCM800 2204 head for about 10 years. I can't get the model to respond like my real one at all!!

I'd like to know what (if any) tweaks you are making to "perfect" it. What cab/IR, etc. Thanks!!

3. Dineley

Dineley Senior Member

Likely me not having had a 2204 is my secret, I run it through poweramp on my 5150 III into a 80's Marshall cabinet... so that might be the other secret,

But besides that I fun it with very little bass, and mids around 7 and treble just at 5.

But yeah I'm guessing if I had owned a real one I would maybe not be quite as impressed by it.

Rhust, Kris Ford and mmd like this.
  4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool. Gotcha. Me having had one could be part of the issue, but I have had a lot of the amps modeled in the Helix and pretty much all of them do what the "real one" did. I am thinking it's just that the mod is VERY different from mine - the regular 2204 responds pretty accurately.

Thanks for the info! Enjoy it man!

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Wasn't that true of 2204s though? Amps varied from amp to amp.

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yeah. My "plain" 2204 was an '81 vertical input. My modded head was a later horizontal input. The mod was mostly on the front end - a 2 position toggle was added that kicked in an LED based gain stage. It made the amp SING at all volumes. It was a very fat sounding drive - which was nice because a lot of the preamp mods thinned the sound out and made the amps wimpier, lol....

7. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

The 2204 Mod was my go-to higher gain amp for about a year, but I have to say I am beginning to think the Line 6 Epic is suiting me the best. I can't get a bad sound out of it.

Dineley likes this.
  8. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

The 2204 is really a great model on the Helix. I just spent a solid 15 minutes trying to find (online) exactly what mod was done to the actual 2204 that Line 6 used to get their ones and zeros. Couldn't find anything.:dunno:

9. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

the 2204 MOD is a "line 6 original" based on a 2204 running as a pre-amp, into a 6L6 power amp section... it's like the opposite world of a Metallica rig between master of puppets and black album... (which was a mesa mkIIc running as a preamp into a marshall power amp)

to my ears, it sounds kinda like the crunch channel of my 6505MH... and that sorta makes sense... and yes, that is a great thing. it's a little too thumpy for metallica, (at least I haven't been able to dial it in for that) but it is good. I recommend using a dual cab (stock cabs) and mixing them... I liked the mix of a v30 4x12 and a T75 4x12 (can't remember exactly which ones)

the regular JCM800 is great too, and I found a little easier to tame

mmd, Dineley and Rocco Crocco like this.
  10. Dineley

Dineley Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Makes sense why it kills going through my 6L6 power section lol