Line 6 Guitar Port or Guitar Rig 3

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by General Disarray, Feb 1, 2009.

1. General Disarray

General Disarray Senior Member

Hi all,

Looking for some advice - I want to buy something for home practise and idea recording for my PC. I've heard good things about both of the above but I just wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience.

My PC is up to spec (Core2Duo 6300, 4gb RAM) so I think I should be OK on that score.

Any ideas? :)

2. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

I have Guitar Rig 3 and I love it. Go to Nativeinstruments.com and you can demo GR3 for 30 minutes for free. Do you have an audio interface? I use Alesis i/o 26 so I can plug my guitar into that and from that to my Mac with Firewire. I also run my mikes and studio amp into and out of the i/o 26 but you don't need something that big if you just want to run guitar. I believe they sell something just for guitars. I bought the GR 2 with kontroller on eBay and later upgraded to GR 3 online from NI.

3. vladmaximus

vladmaximus Senior Member

hmm...
    i use both...
    and i like LINE 6 product...
    if u got the real setting..its will sound awesome man..
    try it...

4. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

Hey, I just bought the UX2 line 6 thing, not sure how that stands up to the tone port version, but in my opinion, the modelled sounds are pretty bad - the typical fizzy unconvincing sound I've always associated with modelling and that sort of thing.
    Its fine for me, as I bought it for the ability to use a condensor mic with my laptop with USB, and to be fair to the line 6 I just dont like modelling for amp tones. The compressor and eq that come with the pod software I have found useful though. I've not really had any problems in the two weeks I've had it.

Actually, I've just remembered, for the bass parts, I did select a pre amp that incorporated a slight overdrive and this was useful for the bass - but the heavier guitar sounds especially didnt do it for me.

For writing songs, I use cubase, and a great thing is the lack of lag for monitoring, which used to be a pain.
    I have no experience with the other unit you mentioned though so I can't compare.