Limba 6 Multiscale + Filter'Tron

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by charisjapan, Jun 5, 2017.

1. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Grrrr! :mad: Beware iOS 11.0.3 update will delete your ability to upload pics directly to Flickr. This won't affect folks in the US, as a Flickr app will still work (maybe?), but said app is not available in Japan. The only app that works here is limited to one pic at a time. So back to physically connecting phone to PC, then bulk uploads to Flickr. Please don't tell me about iCloud ... it always dumps everything from all devices, and any edits change all pics on all devices.

Sorry for the Apple Rant ... I feel better now.

Cleared away just enough mess to drill the 45-degree string-through holes using a simple jig and a long 4mm bit. Worked okay, predictably the holes on the backside are not lined up very well. I have a plan!! (but until I make it work, I won't tell :p)

Next was side dots so I can (finally) glue the fretboard to the neck. I was a bit lazy (again) and the holes were not perfectly the same ... but unless you sight down the edge, you really can't see it. I will file that away as "full disclosure" here, but never tell anyone I show the guitar to physically ... not many folks would notice. ;)

Soon I get to use Odie's Oil ... Yay!!

:cheers2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SlingBlader likes this.
  2. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

Wow, this is seriously cool. Just gorgeous work! :)

3. charisjapan

Doki-doki ...
    (the Japanese "sound-word" aka "onomatopoeia" meaning an anxiously beating heart ... nervous)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skyjerk and mux164 like this.
  4. charisjapan

For the most part, tight seams, but there are a few places ... :eek:

Looking carefully, the seams are not gapped so much as rounded edges of the neck ... I didn't protect the face well enough, I guess. :oops: I'm not too concerned, actually, as I doubt it's a structural problem ... just procedural.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. charisjapan

I'm gonna call this carve done. Time to crack open the Odie's Oil I brought back from the States.

This stuff is not what I expected ... more like Manuka Honey or molasses in winter. But it really spreads, as advertised. the first two pics are before, then some after two coats, indoor and outdoor.

(I could look at the grain and color of this Padauk all day ... and the Wenge is also very "woody")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Looking really nice! How do you like working with Odie's?

7. charisjapan

Thank you!

So far, I like it a lot. A few more coats, and then some Wood Butter, and I'll give you my final appraisal. The smell is not unpleasant, application is easy, and I like the deep color it gives.

Question ... will this fill the grain at all? Honestly, I don't care if it does, as I'm beginning to like the natural texture. I can't wait to see what it does to the Limba body!

8. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

I personally like the unfilled texture, but a builder friend of mine would use 600 or 800 grit paper (can't remember exactly which) to work the initial flood coat in. By doing that, he'd create an oil/dust slurry that would eventually fill the pores. After that, he'd add the Odie's Butter and Wax for a really deep finish.

9. Blasphemoustrat

Blasphemoustrat Junior Member

Those dots are so sweet.

10. charisjapan

A possible solution ...

Made my head hurt to figure the angle, then make a jig, then actually drill. Will Dremel some for final fit ... I made it a bit tight on purpose. Now someone can assess the tonal qualities of this ... please! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

n32 likes this.
  11. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

I must have missed a step. Why are the string though holes angled like that?

12. charisjapan

Hehe!

I could make up an explanation along the lines of V.R.U.S.P. (Watch video), telling you that my research has uncovered a heretofore unknown special quality of through strings when angled 45 degrees ...

But the truth is, I thought 90 degree through strings would be boring after spicing up what started as a Junior/Cabronita with Multiscale and Mt. Fuji.

Honestly, I have no idea how this will work out ... just kinda making it up as I go. Might change the name to LimdAdlib 6 ;).

(Disclaimer: while not really a fan of Barbara Streisand, I really like Peter Bogdanovich (Director) and Buck Henry (Screenplay))

13. charisjapan

Made a template, stuck it on with double-sided tape (a little further back than in the picture), routed to depth and glued in the little ferrule holder. Actually, there was a reason to make the Paduak ferrule holder besides being ornery ... the Limba is (as advertised and warned) pretty soft, so thought it a better receptacle. The 45 degree thing WAS just being ornery, lol. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

n32 and SlingBlader like this.
  14. mangus

mangus Senior Member

subarashii!!!
    with Japanese pronunciation)

15. charisjapan

Arigatou, Mangasu-san ... gambarimasu!
    (Thank you, Mangus-san ... I will give it my best!)

16. charisjapan

Headstock drilled for tuners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mux164 and pshupe like this.
  17. charisjapan

It took a little time, but Bill Woolery at Hipshot helped me to switch parts for the tuners, as described in this thread:

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/hipshot-tuner-dismantling.400307/#post-8425585

Now I have to decide which I will use for this build! There was one snag, though ...

The black tuners were a 3+3 set, and the chrome were purchased separately, and they came with different sized washers! The black washers are 12mm, and the chrome were 14.6mm. After drilling this neck with 10mm holes, the 12mm washers look a bit silly, and more importantly, have very little purchase on the wood of the headstock. My local supplier has no stock of parts like this, so I am again asking Hipshot for a replacement. But shipping will be appreciably more than the cost of six washers, so I will probably just end up looking for some black anodized M8 washers. I could probably just use readily available M8 stainless washers, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skyjerk likes this.
  18. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I have received different sized washers on Hipshot tuners before as well. I asked them once for replacement and they just shipped them to me free of charge.

As for which ones to use, I like the chrome knob version when looking from the front, but the black knob version when looking from the back.

19. charisjapan

I sure hope they have the same size ... I wouldn’t mind paying for that just to have the same color black. The locally available washers are not the same quality, and the black is different.

Haha! Thanks for the front/back conundrum. ;) @Barnaby suggested I put chrome bodies on one side, black bodies on the other ... :p

Whatever doesn’t go on this guitar will go on the other Padauk/Mt.Fuji neck guitar.

20. charisjapan

Well ...

I find that my bridge is a bit low. My careful measurements told me it would be tight, and I still think I can get decent action with the saddles set high ... but I don't like that. I was already going to have a "surround inlay" of Padauk around the pickup to look like a ring, so thought it might look interesting to extend to the bridge. The pic is what I am thinking. The Padauk would be raised 1~2mm.

From my Facebook:

"And I can always claim it’s a “Tone Thing” ... the specific gravity of the Padauk adds tone depth matching the neck, and the tone dispersal of brass to Pad...auk to the Limba body connected to the Padauk neck transmitted to the Wenge fretboard (giving due consideration to the relative Janka Hardness) to the brass nut will cause the strings to reverberate at a precise nodal pressure to stimulate aural satisfaction senses. Combined with my innovative 45 degree through-string with brass and Padauk intensifier block, and multiscale octavation, this guitar will surely be a certified Tone Monster."​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

n32 and mux164 like this.