Limba 6 Multiscale + Filter'Tron

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by charisjapan, Jun 5, 2017.

1. archey

archey Senior Member

Beautiful work!

2. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Was pondering how to thickness the neck before carving. The Limba 6 will be a soft-V profile, and the other (to be announced) Padauk will be a C profile. I don't have a bandsaw, and rasping it down is tedious ... and potentially uneven. I had some other work to do on a gift to my daughter, so used the router table with a 12mm radius roundover bit, then a dishing bit to give me a 25mm neck thickness as a starting point for the carves. Next, marked centerlines and a pair of reference lines, just to get me in the ballpark.

We'll see how this works out! o_O

And notice the brace? Got tendinitis ... top of my right thumb is numb, and any extension is REALLY painful. Was prescribed Loxoprophen Sodium, and 3 days later seems to be getting better. Life goes on ... but after 60 there are (ahem) issues.

:cheers2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mux164 likes this.
  3. charisjapan

Started playing with the neck carve up at the headstock. It's not a "V" yet, but I think the headstock transition might look something like this. I used a chisel, the Stew mac rasps, and mostly a card scraper. All this was kind of impromptu ... just stepped into the shop "for a second" and found myself needing to see what the headstock would look like. Perhaps some of you guys know the feeling?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went down to the heel, and found that I got over-exuberant on the router table. [​IMG] It's about 4mm beyond my mark ... guess I wasn't paying attention. After looking at things, I think I can salvage the situation by just carving the body back a bit. That heel area was kind of undecided anyway, so ... Shhhhh .... don't tell anybody!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mux164 likes this.
  4. charisjapan

On a tangent, I loved working with Padauk so much that I bought a slab of it for a body to make a "Padauk 6" of approximately the same design as this guitar. My daughter asked me to make a few accoutrements for her condo (as if I haven't already done a "few things!") ... a small wall shelf, matching keyhook, and matching coathook. She "commissioned" (gratis?!) something "special," as he knows I have a stash. Well, I'm a softy, so chopped up my precious Padauk. Hope I can finish it before I go next week!

[​IMG]

But a few days ago, I won an auction for a gorgeous, humongous pieces of Padauk ... $40!! I am not seriously considering a one-piece guitar build, but this is certainly big enough for it.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Great save with the heel of the neck I have done that a couple of times, but since my guitars were chambered I couldn't do what you did so I re topped it.

That padauk is gorgeous, makes me want to build with something else apart from pine

6. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

dude, you are all over this guitar building thing. that is perhaps the finest fret board i have seen.....definately one of the finest i've seen in quite a while. your work is impeccable.

7. charisjapan

Awww, (looks down, shuffles feet) shucks. 'Twern't nuttin'.

Thank you FDP! I really like the detail work, but sure hope I can get the larger pieces and finish done anywhere near as good. Those are my weak areas, and kind of dreading that part. You might say the Padauk pieces for my daughter are "practice," lol. (but don't tell her that!)

fatdaddypreacher likes this.
  8. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Hey Randy looking great, do you have a source where you got the template for the multi scale fret slots? I'm thinking I might have a crack soon

9. charisjapan

I'll have to get to my office tomorrow to dig it out ... I made my own hybrid spacing. But it is essentially the same as a normal nut, just have to eyeball the path to the machine post. Here is the headstock design, which I *think* is correct. I just printed this out 100% and held it against the nut and made a pencil mark.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

10. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Sweet thanks, I meant the fret measurements, I haven't given them too much thought even though Andrew and rip thorn has done them and I liked them, but your build has got me thinking about making one

11. charisjapan

Oops! Mind was elsewhere. I used FretFind2D, and the link to my design is :

http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/f...7&il[]=27.5&u=mm&sl=multiple&scale=et&o=equal

Units are millimeters
    Multiple scale 628 - 648mm
    Perpendicular fret distance is 0.33258 ... in other words, 7th fret is my perpendicular
    String width at nut is 35.8mm
    Equal fretboard overhang of 3.6mm
    and used the root 2 calculation method for 24 frets.

I then saved in multi-page PDF format using A4 paper, and taped the pages together (be careful to use the centerline!). After printing this out, I checked the measurements very carefully, and my HP printer did a spot-on job. I taped this to the fretboard and used a securely clamped flat block as my saw guide. The guitar is not yet together, so can't tell you that the frets are perfect ... but I sure hope so!!

Cheers!

mux164 likes this.
  12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

This is how I have done it for each of my half dozen or so multiscale builds.

13. charisjapan

Used the sanding drum to "adjust" the area under the neck pocket ... to fix the goof I made with the "router method" of neck thicknessing. :p

Next was a gouge chisel to get basic shape, then the card scraper to clean up there and the headstock ... and just kept going on the neck profile. Not the best way, but had lost of fun making long. curly shavings! ;) Some folks have mentioned Padauk odor, but mine must be a fragrant piece, pleasantly spicy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mux164 and KnightroExpress like this.
  14. charisjapan

Got a bit more done on the neck profile, just using the card scraper. It's getting close to a soft-V-to-C that I like. The profile tool is the 1st and 7th frets, and with the fretboard on is 24mm at 1st fret, 23mm at 7th, and back out to 24 past 12th. I will pull the neck and put a straight edge to I and take some more profiles every few frets ... then go down about another millimeter for a somewhat slim profile neck ... similar to the EC strat neck, my favorite.

Btw, I probably had more than five piles of shavings ... I wonder if Mrs.Charisjapan would appreciate a potpourri? ;)

Oh, and never, NEVER throw a microfiber cloth on top of Padauk shavings!! :mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SlingBlader and mux164 like this.