Limba 6 Multiscale + Filter'Tron

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by charisjapan, Jun 5, 2017.

1. charisjapan

charisjapan Silver Supporter

Ouch!

How long?

2. charisjapan

Decided to try a different clamping method for the multiscale ...

[​IMG]

3. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

No idea how long Chris but I'll be brushing up on my slide guitar technique for a couple of weeks or so. It's alarming how little one can do with one hand when something like this happens.

4. charisjapan

Sure hope it heals quickly, my man!

:cheers2:

5. charisjapan

More sawing and sanding, and routing ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

geoffstgermaine and mux164 like this.
  6. charisjapan

Finally pressed in those fret markers, and rough-radiused the fretboard. I will spend some more time to confirm it's straight and smooth, and probably take it down another 0.3mm (or thereabouts). Waiting on frets and brass nut.

Pics make a multiscale look "off." :confused: As far as I can tell, everything measures correct. :fingersx:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

n32, geoffstgermaine, archey and 4 others like this.
  7. charisjapan

So while getting ready to attack the fretboard for final radiusing a thicknessing realized something ... don't try to confirm radius at the fret slot!! I know it's :doh:, but almost got caught with a weirdly radiused board. On a multiscale, each fret is a slightly different radius, and only the 9th (my perpendicular) is 12".

... moving right along.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    mux164 likes this.
  8. dcomiskey

dcomiskey Member

Love what you did with the headstock!

9. charisjapan

Started on the brass nut ... 6mm down to 4.5mm. Sigh. Next, getting the height into the general territory and shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is there any rule about through-string holes being 90 degrees? I was playing around with alternatives ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lowatter and mux164 like this.
  10. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

Looking great Chris. I like the fact that you are exploring alternative string-through angles other than 90 degrees. Makes sense to me. You may need to consider string trees as well.
    BTW...how's your ankle doing? If guitar building doesn't pan out you could always make custom canes!
    BTW2...it's less that 10 days since my hand surgeries and I'm already back playing guitar. The stitches aren't even out yet. Saweet!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  11. charisjapan

Hey lowatter, glad to hear you're feeling good enough to play. Please take care not to pop those stitches, though!

That oak block is a drilled at 45 degrees to guide a 6" long 4mm bit. Being a multiscale, I thought it might be fun to play around with the ferrule location on the back.

Will see about string tees, but hoping not to mess with Mt. Fuji too much. ;) The headstock "shelf" is pretty deep, and the Hipshot tuner pegs not that high ... and will make sure the nut slots are deep enough.

Cheers!

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

There are no rules about string through holes, but a couple things worth bearing in mind: the length of the bit will need to be significantly longer; the location on the back will be much further back; most difficult of all, the ferrules will need to be inserted at the same angle, otherwise you will have to do a blind intersection of the ferrule string hole in the body with the angled hole, and that may make string insertion difficult.

13. charisjapan

Hey Ripthorn! Thanks for the reply. I found a brand new 200mm X 4mm bit in the bottom of my box, which should easily punch through the guide block and 50mm body at 45 degrees. The bigger challenge will be getting it to exit the back at anything like a straight line, yeah? I have a half-baked plan for that, and will share if my experiment works. If it turns out to be an utter failure, will just drill straight through with the drill press.

14. charisjapan

Grandson born a week early, had to get Mrs.CJ off to Hawaii in a rush, then handle a bunch of home stuff in the aftermath. Third grandkid, so not quite a frenzy, but crazy enough to put guitars to the background. (btw, mom, kid, and grandma [and grampa] all good and happy :) )

Had a bit of time today to bring a few things upstairs (don't tell Mrs.CJ) and play. Fretboard is a nice 12" radius, Nut is ready to slot, and now I get to use my StewMac Fret DeTanger tool for the first time.

(Gotta admit, it works great, but the handle is horrendous! Really, S-M guys, you gotta do something about this! It's not a cheap tool, and I'm sure you sell a good number of them ... at least a rubber grip with a little something to keep your hand from sliding up.)

I had no idea how to measure the tang width, but this seems to work. Only 20 more ! :yesway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

geoffstgermaine and mux164 like this.
  15. charisjapan

Now that I fixed the S-M D-Tangr, prepping the rest of the frets was a breeze.

[​IMG]

n32 and SlingBlader like this.
  16. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Holy crap, Randy!

I havent checked into this thread in a while. All I can say is WOW!

These builds are looking fantastic :)

You've come a long way in a very short time. the quality of your work is beautiful.

17. charisjapan

Thanks, Chris (@Skyjerk ),

Got a bit more done today ... this is where I finally feel like something's getting done!

Taped up the fretboard, and used a drill press caul and Titebond. After pressing in each fret, I nipped the ends off and gave a few taps with a wood mallet on top of the marble slab. The caul did a fine job, but it seems the mallet got everything seated a bit better ... psychological? Today got as far as beveling the fret edges, and will level, crown and polish next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. charisjapan

Got a few things done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

How do you take such pretty pictures? I know you start with a gorgeous instrument, but what else, wise master?

20. charisjapan

How? 50 years of practice. ;)

But reading Ken Rockwell's tips/tutorials helped me, too.

http://www.kenrockwell.com

Equipment is an iPhone 6s since late last year. Before that I used my Nikon D300s, but now too lazy to mess with the weight and hassle of using a card reader. (but the new Nikon D5600 has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, hmmm ...)