Limba 6 Multiscale + Filter'Tron

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by charisjapan, Jun 5, 2017.

1. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine Senior Member

The build's looking great. I really like how you did the brass/padauk dots.

Heal up quickly! Cool cane. I like that twist in the thread where you take the injury and make something cool for it.

2. charisjapan

charisjapan Silver Supporter

Thanks @geoffstgermaine !

Still waiting for MRI results, but ankle feels fine. Hoping to get the doctor's okay next Tuesday. Meantime, after giving the cane a recarve ( ;) ), I've become very good at fast-hobbling.

[​IMG]

Was able to get down to the shop a bit today, as well as do some sit-down work. Started to make a headstock template for Mount Fuji. Last time with the Chinaberry bass, I just freehanded with the trimmer/router. This time I want to replicate it at least once, so need something a 10mm bearing bit would follow ... meaning a smoother "snowcap" line. I also cut out a couple blocks of the White Limba for "snow." Next was locating the fretboard dots, and made a little test piece to make sure the brass would fit in the hole made with a 6mm bit I finally found. (Forstner bits are uncommon in Japan) Tight fit, but it cut the Wenge nicely ... happy puppy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

geoffstgermaine, mux164 and Barnaby like this.
  3. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Holy cow, wishing you a speedy recovery. Nice carve on the cane.

4. charisjapan

A little progress on the fretboard, drilled the "dot" holes, and locator pin holes under 3rd and 21st fret markers. Gotta say, Wenge sure can make even a nice bit wander! I think they're lined up and centered reasonably well. :fingersx:

Was doing a lot of other standing work today, so this was about my limit.

:cheers2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

geoffstgermaine, Barnaby and mux164 like this.
  5. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Thought you might have added some of your fret markers to your cane handle, take your time mate we can wait

charisjapan likes this.
  6. charisjapan

I did mention this was to be a bolt-on neck, right? Man, the Padauk is deceptively hard wood, and required more pressure than I expected to get these things to seat. I'll epoxy the gaps, though I'm sure it's not really necessary.

[​IMG]

7. charisjapan

Hehe! Digit Markers ... to remember which finger goes where, and two for the thumb! :p

mux164 likes this.
  8. charisjapan

I've really got to think about workflow ... ! I just realized I need to have the neck heel finished before I can rout the neck pocket, and I need the neck pocket finished in order to locate the bolt holes ... I don't really have a template for any of those. A bit embarrassed about not thinking this through until now, but less embarrassed than I'd be had I glued the fretboard on! This guitar was originally supposed to be a test mule of sorts, but I have become attached to it ( ;) ), and want to make it nice. My Odie's Oil arrived! ... in Hawaii :(. Now I have to wait until early October before I can go there and bring it back. But it's okay, as at this rate, I won't be ready to finish anything until then!

Added two more locator pins, so under markers 3, 9, 12, and 21 ... this puppy ain't shifting anywhere! Chopped the heel end next will add a 3mm radius ... don't want it too sharp.

Tomorrow I get MRI results ... hoping to get a thumbs up and back to work and hobby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. charisjapan

Goodbye, crutches and cane! :applause: The doctor said, "Congratulations," as I walked into his office. No micro-fracture, but a small sliver fracture and a couple torn ligaments. In other words, a bad sprain, which means I have to "take it easy" for another month. This phrase is kinda relative, IMO, but will not jump off ladders for a while. It is so nice to wear a PAIR of shoes! Mrs. CJ is happy ( ;) ) that the diagnosis included the word "fracture" (only a few millimeters), as that means my supplementary insurance covers everything.

[​IMG]

While taking it easy, I had some shop time to trim the fretboard to size, finish the heel, and mess around with the headstock step. It's bit deeper than ideal, but after thinning and radiusing the fretboard, break angle should be enough to forego any kind of string tee. As shown, I used some 3M Stickit wrapped around a 12mm dowel to shape the step ... and will probably use a 15mm dowel for final shaping. A bit more tidying up to do after I make the "snowcap," then on to the neck carve! As you can see, the Padauk/Wenge binding turned out to be 1mm/1.5mm ... can't wait to see what it looks like with frets and fret markers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. charisjapan

Put together a template for routing the neck pocket, and to give me a visualization of bridge location. Will first rout the pocket and drill the bolt holes, intonate with E and e strings, then finalize the bridge location and string-through holes. Bit by bit ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mux164 and SlingBlader like this.
  11. charisjapan

Hogged out some of the pocket before routing.

Am I the only one that just loves the look, feel and (even) the smell of fresh cuttings/shavings?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mux164 likes this.
  12. charisjapan

Set up the template and started routing. Man! Limba is smooth stuff. I do imagine that it will ding easily, but this is not a collector's piece ... except for me. I plan on ccollecting dings!! ;)

Still have to use a 3mm radius chisel on the back corners of the pocket, but it looks right. The fit is not tight like the tenon in a set-neck, just enough that it drops right in, and should be snug after Odie's Oil on both neck and pocket. I may have to go down another 0.5mm ... or not. I'll find out after I drill the bolt holes and set the bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

n32 likes this.
  13. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

That is some really clean work, CJ. :) Love, love, love that fretboard.

14. charisjapan

Neck bolted on ... seems pretty solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lowatter, SlingBlader and mux164 like this.
  15. charisjapan

Finally got some time for fun, so next on the agenda is Mt. Fuji. As you may recall, I got two necks from that blank, so decided to try out my new templates on the second Padauk neck first. That guitar will probably have the same body shape with a different wood, and won't be a multiscale.

Man, this template took some doing! It's not perfect, but the results weren't awful. I made a couple blocks from the Limba body cutoffs. Using clamps and "low adhesive" double-sided tape, made the "snowcap" line on two blocks. The matching template was taped/clamped to the Padauk neck. Titebond and "clamped" with elastic packing film. A few hours later, I cut off the backside, flattened, then taped/clamped the "whole" headstock template on and used the trimmer to get the final shape. An hour or so with various grits on a sanding block, then some sanding pads, and my second Mt. Fuji headstock! The Limba grain is not quite straight (rectified on second block), but happy puppy. Multiscale neck is next! :)

(as you can tell, it's time for a new follower bit!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Looked great! How's the leg going?

17. charisjapan

Thanks, mux! The leg is better, but will be a while before 100% ... not sure if you EVER get 100% past 60, though. :p I can work an hour or so, but now find that I must've landed on both feet pretty hard, so expect (ahem) discomfort for a bit. That said, I gotta get back up on that ladder soon and finish the job! :cheers2:

18. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

Looking fantastic Chris. Great attention to detail and design. I love the contrasts of your wood choices. Sorry to hear about your fall. I'm on ladders most every day at work but at 57 I won't/can't go above 16' anymore. I've had 3 shoulder surgeries and I have a titanium plate and 4 screws in my neck. I have another spur in my right rotator cuff so I'll have to have it done again soon. I have stenosis in most of my joints from arthritis. In fact I'm having hand surgery today for a ganglion cyst on my left hand beneath the little finger on the palm. I've had a fear that something happens to one of my hands all my life that would stop me from playing guitar(I wonder if there's a medical term for that?). :hmm:
    Any-who, Godspeed your recovery and again, your new build looks fantastic!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  19. charisjapan

Hey lowatter, thanks for the kudos. I just hope the thing makes the proper noises later! ;)

Sounds like you and I have a lot in common, 'cept I don't (as yet) have any internal hardware. :p I didn't take up guitar until I was north of 50 years old, and part of it was I heard that any activity that requires coordinated hand movement can help stave off arthritis and senility ... hmmm. not sure it's working, but I am so glad I picked up the guitar, it's a blast! (still can't play very well, but ... who cares?)

Kitharaphonitis? :cheers2:

lowatter likes this.
  20. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

[​IMG]

Yep...Kitharaphonitis! He cut out 2 ganglion cysts...one on the palm under the little finger and one on the joint of my thumb. I won't be playing for awhile...AGAIN!