Limba 6 Multiscale + Filter'Tron

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by charisjapan, Jun 5, 2017.

1. charisjapan

charisjapan Silver Supporter

No more stalling.

The title says most of it, but a few pictures should fill in the blanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

White Limba, Padauk, Wenge, Hipshot stuff, single TV Jones Filter'Tron Classic Plus, 628mm ~ 648mm Multiscale (approximately Gibson to Fender)

Cheers!

2. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Can't wait to see this. Mt Fuji is back!

3. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Yeah!! This is going to be so cool.

4. charisjapan

Andrew, a lot of this is inspired by you! (won't say your fault, but ... ;))

:cheers2:

KnightroExpress likes this.
  5. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

I think Andrew maybe responsible for Padauk being put on CITES in the near future! ;-) I was looking at a few large pieces last time I was in the wood shop as well. So this will be a Padauk neck with wenge fret board and white limba body? You have an LP in one of those pics. Are you doing a carved top on there? Looks great man. Looking forward to it.

Cheers Peter.

6. charisjapan

Hey, Peter,

Haha! Indeed Andrew has a lot of enticing pictures with mounds of red spiral bit shavings!

Yes, yes, and yes, but no carved top. More like an overly-complicated DC Junior. In fact, the Limba was bought with a Junior in mind. The GT was just to give a size comparison. The body shape is similar to my Chinaberry Two bass, but a fair bit bigger.

Thanks for the encouragement, and will surely be calling for help soon!

Cheers!

7. Draxond

Draxond Member

Those red spirally cuttings from padauk make it totally worth working with. Made a cutting board for my mother out of it. It's a joy to work with. Interesting smell to it as well.

8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Bass #3 now?

I see you're making the Mt Fuji headstock your trademark!

Is this for yourself?

9. KnightroExpress

Aww yeah, I always wanted to be a bad influence for someone!

10. charisjapan

Heaven forbid, Chris!! Might get banned if I started another bass build thread. :Ohno: Na~h, this is a bona fide 6-string gee-tar.

Yup! I think it's appropriate for an MIJ. Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't seen it before! (even though it looks essentially like a lot of other 3+3 headstocks ... including Addict)

This one is mine ... but if it turns out nice, I'll have the templates made of something more permanent than MDF.

11. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

WOW!. Diggin' it Chris. Keep it coming.

12. charisjapan

A few bits came today. Was really pleased that the Hipshot knobs were shiny chrome instead of the pictured (on my supplier's website) satin finish.

[​IMG]

Tropical Fish and a shiny chrome jack!

[​IMG]

Don't know if anyone noticed, but I had to special order the Hipshot multiscale bridge, but they didn't have shiny chrome, so I ordered black, then bought a shiny chrome standard 6-string bridge locally and will switch the screws and saddles to connect with the TV Jones pickup black/chrome. I am considering getting a set of black Hipshot tuners and switch parts to get that same motif on the Mt.Fuji headstock.

[​IMG]

geoffstgermaine likes this.
  13. charisjapan

I made a body template a while back, but after looking at it more critically, think I need to widen the lower bout a bit ... maybe 10~15mm. I kind of like the horns as they are ... their shape has a very specific reason. As you can see, I have a bit of room on this blank to play with. Will probably make a larger template, and keep this one "in reserve." Next design decision is either a big roundover like the basses, or maybe some bevels ... but not as much as an SG.

[​IMG]

Neck is coming along. The padauk is quite nearly enough for two necks if I use wings ... but I can't do that for Mt.Fuji! Maybe I'll cut that side off and make a "Winter Mt.Fuji" headstock with a scarf joint?! :)

[​IMG]

By the way, since this is a single pickup guitar, and I don't want to mess with a scratchplate to hide a long tenon, this will be a bolt-on neck.

Cheers!

14. charisjapan

The bridges switched out, and why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a neck template so I can start to imagine what I'm doing. I got a pair of Stew-Mac rasps, and they even work on MDF ... which clogs up any other rasp with two swipes. I can get 10-15 swipes, then just tap it a bit and unclogged. Also, trying to ruin the bearings on my drill press, but they are still tight. Just kidding, but have decided to pop for an inexpensive spindle sander.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all together ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KnightroExpress and SlingBlader like this.
  15. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Its the details. Yours is shaped very much like mine, but the straighter edges (mine are slightly more concave), sharper corners, and the "snow-capped peak" totally change the look.
    It looks original and definitely all yours :)

I like the look of those hipshot bridges. Ive wanted to try one, I'll be interested in your take...

16. sdshirtman

sdshirtman Senior Member

So when did Hipshot start making multi scale bridges? I can't find anything about it on the website.

17. KnightroExpress

The offer a range of 6,7, and 8 string multiscale bridges in varying degrees. Nothing on the website so far, I have to call whenever I want to order one. If you want specs or drawings, feel free to PM me, I have some basic dimensions for them.

charisjapan likes this.
  18. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I think they are on their website, but you can't just browse to them, you have to have the link. Not sure how I stumbled across it at one point, it might have been Andrew :)

19. charisjapan

If you do a search "Multiscale" on their website, you can find the 6 string in three colors and two angles. Mine is the 11 degree.

https://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=429

Took a couple weeks after payment. Just write to them, and they'll fix you up with a lot of things not on their website.

20. charisjapan

Yup, it's ALL Andrew's fault! Both his and your builds were inspiration, but the availability of that Hipshot bridge clinched my decision to give it a try. :cheers2: