Lighten My LP (?)

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by gitapik, Nov 13, 2017.

1. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

Speaking of straps......has Buckethead gone away from his strechy strap to help his back?

2. gitapik

gitapik Junior Member

3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Sell it & go find yourself a nice CR8 & do any upgrades. You’ll probably come out square.

A good CR8 will weight in at ~ 7.5lbs.

Only thing to consider is are you liking the tones on your ‘69 which the weight etc. contributes to?

Good luck.

:cheers2:

RevWillie likes this.
  4. gitapik

gitapik Junior Member

I was at the point of getting another guitar, but this strap put an end to that.

I'm sure I'd love the CR8, but, yes: I love the tones on my '69 which the weight etc contribute to. Plus it's got sentimental value. Feels like coming home.

RAG7890 likes this.
  5. Oatie

Oatie Member

I seen a Les hog back on a Norlan that the owner used a hole saw and drilled out 4 or 5 holes and then he used the plastic toggle switch covers to cover the holes he drilled. It took some weight off he said. Drilled to the maple top in his hole saw plug cut outs. It looks clean, just has 5 or 6 round plastic covers on the back including the toggle switch cover. Looks good because the tech used the right router bit to recess the covers.

He calls the guitar "Swiss Miss" .

6. gitapik

gitapik Junior Member

"Swiss Miss" is right...

7. Yehuda Kotton

Yehuda Kotton Junior Member

this guitar had the back sliced off, chambered, then re-capped from the back. Sounds great.

Bramley likes this.
  8. gitapik

gitapik Junior Member

Yeah...this is the video that made me think about gittin' it done after reading the description. Does sound great, doesn't it? I like his playing and videos. Very "instructive".

Got my strap from Nick at Leatherhead for now. See where I'm at when I'm 90...

Bramley likes this.
  9. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

^^ Has always worked for me.

10. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

This. If it's got Grovers/Schallers, go back to Klusons. An aluminum tailpiece will help, too. Not going to make a huge difference, but doing those two things to my wife's SG really did make a noticeable one. Every bit helps and the reversible ones are worth doing if it's killing you.

11. Bramley

Bramley Junior Member

I rescued this '69 body which had been " weight relieved " by some fool then discarded.. I capped the holes with 1/8" mahogany and veneered the back, but of course a solid colour is then necessary. The neck and all other parts were courtesy of the Gibson repair dept dumpster downtown Nashville. It's a very resonant and great sounding guitar.

Picture 5.png

DADGAD and Britbender like this.
  12. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

If you get a wider strap and still want to remove wood from it at least make it useful and put a B bender on it. Mine only took about half to 1 pound off the weight so I would never do it otherwise. Mine is a ‘71.

A118FD65-4C64-40CD-B173-1502C8F7372C.jpeg